Need sound advice on my first metal detector

ret-detector

Feb 20, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I'm new to MDing, but not to life...I'm retired and have the time to research everything...every detail.:icon_scratch:
That said, I did a ton of research on several different forums, various iNet sites, and with some MD groups in the area. One name kept cropping up for me...Garrett AT Pro. Now, it's not the cheapest MD, but being pretty sure about what I wanted to do, I wanted more than an 'entry level' machine. I also bought the Garrett Pro Pointer...for similar reasons.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.8-)

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you have to spend time with any detector to know it
the thing is do you want look at a screen and have a pretty good Idea what their
or go with it beep were i set it at
and you dig
or silent serch

liftloop

Last edited:

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hopefulgold, depends on what you want to look for. For that price range you could get a really nice one. I have a WHITES MXT. Wish I could have the MXT PRO but they are just abt the same. They also have great customer service if you ever have a prob. I also like the Tesoro models. Go on to Kellcos website and to can compare any detector and price. Good luck.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you know what type of hunting you want to do that can help narrow things down. But chances are you'll try several types before you settle down on a primary type of hunt. Also take into consideration, and be brutally honest here, how much time will you have to detect? It doesn't make sense to spend $1200 on a machine you'll only use one or two times a year. On the other hand if you'll be out everyday, spend the extra bucks.

All the big brands have great machines. Though after having had machines from several brands, I find I prefer Tesoro...I love the simplicity of not having a display and I know the sounds well enough that I get a ton of information from just the sounds. My second preferred brand is White's. I've never really like Garrett machines. Don't be afraid to go used. You could get two gently, or never, used machines for what you'd spend on one new unit.

...but yeah, get a Tesoro.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can get a VLF Tesoro Vaquero $450.00, and a PI Tesoro Sand Shark $600.00 for what you have to spend, or a Minelab Explorer SE Pro $1,150.00. Do your Homework!

OP
OP
H

hopefulgold

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the good advice on buying my first detector. I talked to lots & researched alot & finally decided on the Nokta Golden Sense detector. I will keep all informed on the out come over the next few weeks. Thanks again for all the helpful information, Hopefulgold

OP
OP
H

hopefulgold

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the nokta & was bad right out of the box sent back & got a Garrett AT Pro & a Garrett AT Gold best money I ever spent on detectors. I am already been out three times with the AT Pro & have found two rings, one pocket knife & a 1880 indian head penny along with a heap of clad coins. The AT Pro was so easy to get up & running wish I had done this years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread