Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope someone would please give me some advice.

What are some best methods to get rid of clad?

Do I just walk in to some branch and say "I would like to deposit..." maybe a $100 or $200 at a time?

Do I open a new account at a bank with a free coin counting machine?

I found a source bank or two in my area, and I want to make sure I don't get stuck with $1000 of halves. I already picked up nine rolls today and nothing, have to get rid of them all.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

lawnguy

Greenie
Dec 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For some reason banks in my area hate taking in coins, even my own bank were I do personal and business banking will only take 10 rolls at a time. So I just opened an account with a bank that offers free coin machine use to their customers. It was only $100 to open the account and they have not said one word about dumping coins

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
lawnguy said:
For some reason banks in my area hate taking in coins, even my own bank were I do personal and business banking will only take 10 rolls at a time. So I just opened an account with a bank that offers free coin machine use to their customers. It was only $100 to open the account and they have not said one word about dumping coins
Crh'ers are an unusual breed, one that most banks are not used to. Makes sense to me! Sometimes it takes a while to establish the relationship needed with your bank to dump large quantities of coin. I've been using several banks for this purpose to pickup/dump for almost five years, and I know when I push the limit.

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if you re-roll your coins then all you need to know is one simple line, "I have some coins I would like to deposit". It has always worked for me.

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also use them to buy gas, your morning starbucks or Mcdee's, groceries, pay bills.

But for dropping halves on a bank ask the vault tell how many haves they need to have at one time to send them back. Then ask how many you can bring per week/month without wearing out your welcome.

Masterchief

Feb 15, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Fistfulladirt said it all when he mentioned building a relationship with the bank personnel. Start with a reasonable amount of coin to dump and focus on getting to know the tellers. Talk to them and find out the limits to how much coin they can take in at one time and above all be friendly with them. Have your alibi ready, whether its "i like coins" ::) , "I'm a coin collector", or "my boss insists on paying me in coins..". Whatever your comfortable with. Once they get to know you well they will be more willing to accomodate your "strange" behaviour. Dont just work on finding one bank to dump either. As you build up your bank roll you'll need to dump at more than one bank to get rid of your coin or risk upsetting your bank by dumping too much or too often. Look for banks that have NF Strings machines since they dont use a bag for the tellers to change out (they hold many thousands of dollars in coins before they need emptying). Then you can dump your coin, print receipt, get cash from teller. Easy peasy. Well. Kinda. I'm sure there's much more someone more experienced from here can add. This is whats worked for me in the past months.

HH

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put the coins in a bucket, hold the bucket in front of your torso, tip the bucket until the clad coins begin to fall out. Continue tipping until ALL coins have exited the bucket.

:laughing7:

In seriousness, there are several methods. Some use coin counters, some re roll, and some bag coins. You need to ask around at yours and other banks, communicate with the lead tellers. In general it is better to not deposit, rather exchange for cash.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made friends once a week i call him and get there befor 6 and he takes it all ?? This week $7200 He thinks its funny and says it all good!! :thumbsup:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well a certain large national bank chain with about 10 bazillion local branches holds my mortgage. On those rare occasions when I can buy halves, I make a mortgage payment with the clads.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread