How do I grade paper money?

Sam K

Jul 2, 2010
I have posted about this collection before, but I have a collection that includes a 1923 dollar bill, several 1953, 63 and 76 $2 bills and a few 1935 and 1957 $1 bills. I started looking at auctions on ebay to get a price range, but having a way to grade them would help. Is there a good guide on the internet for at least getting an idea of a grade? Also, is there a place to look up information on the specific year/series of bill?

This is the original thread, it has lots of pictures of the bills.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,339025.msg2439531.html#msg2439531

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Official Red Book (aka A Guide Book of US Paper Money) lists the differences between nine different grades of US currency---from Gem Uncirculated to Good. The book is authored by Arthur L and Ira S. Friedberg and provides an excellent description of the various grades of currency. Keep in mind, however, that all currency grading is subjective--in the eyes of the beholder.
This reference book also has color pics of all bills and a listing of their retail values (depending upon condition) as of the printing date. Your local library may have it or can interbranch order it for you.
Don....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread