Nice looking setup !

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought one of those Russian made covers on feebay for mine with the clear vinyl and holes for knobs, I don't dig in the rain, so its not rainproof

Chris R

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She's almost as perdy as my All Pro.

OP
OP
pescadore

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She's almost as perdy as my All Pro.

Yep, you have a nice one there Chris. I am glad you are enjoying it as much as I enjoy my machines. I was going to go the All Pro route prior to finding the MXT on Craigslist and then when I got the M6 (with tone ID) I felt like I had all I need. I can't say enough about the nice folks at Whites and Connie in repairs was so good to me. I took the M6 out after work yesterday and hunted around where they had pulled the chain link fence up from the old swimming pool they are taking out. I dug over $5 in clad in probably about an hour at that spot. The M6 is a great coinshooter with the 6X8 SEF coil. Had a great time and the new handle configuration of the M6 made all the difference in the world.

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great mod. The M6 was my first "real" metal detector. It looks like White's discontinued it - it's no longer on their website.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How much does Whites charge for that modification?

I was quoted $150. I am going to see how the stock shaft works before I decide to have it modified.

Pescadore, did they replace the arm cuff and middle shaft when you had your M6 modded?

OP
OP
pescadore

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was quoted $150. I am going to see how the stock shaft works before I decide to have it modified.

Pescadore, did they replace the arm cuff and middle shaft when you had your M6 modded?

I had to request the middle shaft replacement but I dont think they replaced the arm cuff. I think the mod is worth it if the angle of the handle is uncomfortable for you to use. Most people won't have an issue with the stock shaft but I have RA and the angle for some reason hurt my hand and wrist. I really like it. The M6 is really a great coinshooter and I generally use it more than the MXT unless I am hunting a more open area or one with little to moderate trash. I like the tone ID in trashy areas and most of places I hunt are pretty trashy. My 3 smaller coils, 6X8SEF, 5.3, and 4x6DD all are used on the M6. If I can get away with the 10X12 SEF then the MXT comes out and I let the big dog eat !!!

chowder

Nov 3, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
White's M6 and White's MXT Pro
Didn't even know they could or would do that mod. I love my M6, but use it as a backup now cause I can feel the difference in my arm switching from the MXT Pro to the M6. Thanks for posting this!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didn't even know they could or would do that mod. I love my M6, but use it as a backup now cause I can feel the difference in my arm switching from the MXT Pro to the M6. Thanks for posting this!

I am debating if I can buy the DFX hip mount kit and do the mod myself for $50 in parts versus $150. I was quoted almost $100 for just replacing the foam grip and shipping on an M6.

chowder

Nov 3, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
White's M6 and White's MXT Pro
I am debating if I can buy the DFX hip mount kit and do the mod myself for $50 in parts versus $150. I was quoted almost $100 for just replacing the foam grip and shipping on an M6.

If you do decide to purchase the DFX hip mount kit and do it yourself, make sure you let us know how it goes. I may have to research that option too. The price for the replacement grip does seem excessive, but I would guess it has to do with the amount of time it takes to remove the display to get to the grip (just guessing).

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well doing your on handle configuration is possible just kind of a PITA.

The hardest part was drilling out the rivets that holds the control box to the handle. I had an old Eagle Spectrum and I had to do this twice because I had to remove the box from the Eagle and then do the same for the M6. I then had to remove the wiring to the M6 (I went ahead and cut instead of desoldering) the wire going to the trigger and the main wire going to the control box because you have to pull it through the way too tiny rod holes.

Reassemble I had to trim a little from the lower part of the display hole where the tab part at the top of the hand would fit into the display hole. I then fastened the display and inserted the trigger into the hole at the back of the display and tightened (nice that it slid right in without more modifications). Next I riveted the control box to the new arm and then gummed up all the holes, screws and rivets really good with 100% silicon caulk to keep moisture out. I then soldered and heat shrinked the wires back together and reinserted them back into the board. Last, I simply reassembled the control box and tested.

Altogether it took me 3-4 hours on and off all day. I was kind of inventing as I went and I can see if I had everything laid out and the knowledge before hand, it would have been easily a 2 hour job. I was also sitting on the floor the whole time in order to prevent dropping anything. I have the hip mount assembly ($45) on order from White's to configure the Eagle to a hip mount assembly, but I may use some of my extra rod parts to mount the control box conventionally. I plan to sell the Eagle, but I am unsure of the best way to go with this (traditional detector or hip mount).

Anyway, here are some pictures. Wasn't too easy to do, but not impossible. I have a great respect of the engineering that White's places in these units. It is also awesome to see how they incorporated the adage "if something works, don't fix it" when it comes to their machines. I have basically 15 years differences in White's machines sitting in front of me and the parts are mostly the same, put together the same way and interchangeable. Even the M6 middle shaft looks like a shaft from a different model machine, turned upside down and the handle cut to accommodate the trigger in what is left of the handle. All in all it was a bit of a pleasure modding/building because all the parts seem compatible.

I do hate the idea that if my foam handle tears on my White's that I have to ship it and send them $19 for return shipping and then pay them $60 for one hour of labor to replace a $3 piece of foam. This should be something that any hobbyist should be able to do without cutting rivets and removing the control box assembly and wires. If it wasn't for this, I wouldn't have bothered with this modification, because the T-handle isn't a big deal for me. I almost just bought and added a Garrett hand grip and saved the labor and chances of ruining this machine by doing such a complete configuration. Glad it worked out.

20150520_163803.jpg

Hardest part is removing the rivets and replacing them.

20150520_163911.jpg

I had to trim here to insert the display over the metal tab at the top of the handgrip. I took a sharp knife and removed less than 1/16" of plastic.

20150520_214426.jpg 20150520_214452.jpg 20150520_214513.jpg 20150520_214426.jpg

Finished and reassembled. Control box is somewhat too forward of the arm cuff, but I used the existing holes from the Whites Eagle box which is longer. It still balances well despite this.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread