How do you like your VOLTS?

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
Dave44 said:
OKAY, So if I spend 20 to 30 K every few years it will pay off in the long run? How long is that run?
Why don't we keep what we have while we develop something that may be viable? Oh yeah, population control.

Honestly, I don't think I can afford 20 to 30 k every now and then. I do not have the room for 30 acres of panels. I do not have a spare warehouse for all the batteries and the electronics to convert them to usable power. I do not have the EPA endorsed dump to put all the batteries in when they no longer work.
Star Trek really is science fiction. But I would love to see viable alternatives. When it does not cripple us or send us back to the stone age. I have an affinity for electricity, heat, A/C, and running water.

This just goes to show what little you know about the subject. You do not need 30 acres. Only a rooftop.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
werleibr said:
Dave44 said:
OKAY, So if I spend 20 to 30 K every few years it will pay off in the long run? How long is that run?
Why don't we keep what we have while we develop something that may be viable? Oh yeah, population control.

Honestly, I don't think I can afford 20 to 30 k every now and then. I do not have the room for 30 acres of panels. I do not have a spare warehouse for all the batteries and the electronics to convert them to usable power. I do not have the EPA endorsed dump to put all the batteries in when they no longer work.
Star Trek really is science fiction. But I would love to see viable alternatives. When it does not cripple us or send us back to the stone age. I have an affinity for electricity, heat, A/C, and running water.

This just goes to show what little you know about the subject. You do not need 30 acres. Only a rooftop.

You may know very little also. How much rooftop? Where will you put your batteries? Will you let them charge in your bedroom? Have you ever been around anything like this? That is the problem with overeducated people. "It works on paper"!!!??? :evil5:

Finally.. where will you find that battery nirvana you want thaty works forever? And look up the source for rare earth while you are at it! :tard:

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blacken my volt, also....

My electric bill has doubled since LAST year! wind power????????? I live in West Texas, where the wind blows. (during the spring!!!!!!) During the winter, the pedot tubes froze and shut down a lot of the windmills, just when we need more electricity! such a deal. Each one cost a million bucks, and guess who pays???

I have looked into solar, and like dave says, the batteries take up a lot of room. and, the gas that comes off a battery is not something you want inside your house. BTW, your own windmill uses batteries, also!
I looked into a rebuilt windmill, and it cost 20K! (not including the batteries and inverters!) any excess the power company buys back. At half what they charge you!

OK, we have 50 years of oil left. How about it brainiacs? It gives you a little time to make something useful, if you get started now! All you have to do is suggest something and the current guvt will give ya billions to start a co. (course, that is OUR money, too!)

Drill, baby, Drill!!!!!!!!!! (might even get some from Canada! What a concept!)

olroy!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50 years of oil left ?

Is this from the EnviroMENTALists Pushing for alternate sources ?
The Oil Companies Pushing for the right to drill ?
the end of the world Nuts ?
the electric Car companies ?
OPEC looking to up prices ?
or did they actually put an Oil Guage in all the wells ? :laughing9:

"Ahhh we're Half empty, Time to top off the tank :tongue3: "

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are these batteries Lithiem Ion type? Because these have to decharge before they can recharge, how long does that take? And were does the heater, defroster ,gets it power and heat? When the battery goes bad do you have to pay a recycle charge. Is the recharge post 120 or 220 volt? Most garages are not wired for 220 so whats the cost to retro fit?

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Cheese, The mechanicals had 180HP , the electronics Have 305 and up HP. I have owned both chassis in Motorhomes. The 180HP got 18MPG with it's 10K# rating, the 305HP gets 13.5MPG with it's 12K# rating. Frank

Onfire, Li batts don't have to be dischared. You are thinking of Nichle cadium batts. Just about every building is wired for 220VAC The 110VAC normally used is pulled from one side of the 220VAC wiring. Frank

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
onfire meant to say that most garages do not have a dedicated 220v circuit

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Dave44, most garages nowadays are attached and are wired from the same panel which is 220. adding a 220 circuit should not be a problem.
When I built my house I used a basic shed roof design facing SE in antissipation of installing solar in the future. It is roughley 50X35 and will hold enough solor panels with a surplus. I also have a 8'x 50' utility room which will easily hold the Li batts. Now all I need is the $30K, Maybe after the next cache find, lol. Frank

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Dave44, most garages nowadays are attached and are wired from the same panel which is 220. adding a 220 circuit should not be a problem.
When I built my house I used a basic shed roof design facing SE in antissipation of installing solar in the future. It is roughley 50X35 and will hold enough solor panels with a surplus. I also have a 8'x 50' utility room which will easily hold the Li batts. Now all I need is the $30K, Maybe after the next cache find, lol. Frank

I am aware that the panel is 220, I am also aware that most houses do not have adedicated 220 circuit. Furthermore many breaker panels are full, many more are a long way from the garage. Heard it from a contractor.(me)

I also meant to say Frank, you are a thinking man. Most people never anticipate for it or care. I hope your other treasure hunt works out!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't have a 220 outlet in the garage, it won't be easy or cheap to run one (at least run it correctly).

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nissan Leaf is a much better electric car than that over priced Volt,why for $40 grand you could buy 2 used Prius's and get about 40mpg and not have to worry about a cord. :dontknow:
You might look into the Tesla corp. they have the nicest electric cars out there today,but their really expensive$$.
I have a friend who has the Nissan Leaf and she charges hers up with solar power and 4 windmills on her property.It's not over night but it is free power.
I look at it this way,look what the cellphone companies have done to cell phones in the last 20 years,their smaller now,skinnier,faster,cheaper and are almost as good as your PC.
Now you put great minds like this on an electric cars and before to long,we will probably get 200 miles from an 8 hour charge.

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, produce guy

until then, how about using gas. You remember what the price was before the.....................................
present POTUS decided to ban it's use!!!!!!!!! And coal. And natural gas.

And, maybe get me banned, drill in the gulf!!!!!!!! Dont make believe you can force someone to invent something before its time. Like giving away our money to cronies and thieves!!!!!!!!!!

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I don't drive, but I get rides, sometimes. So, sure, I'm concerned about fuel availability & cost, cost of vehicles. And I like the idea of less polluting technologies. So I sometimes read about new cars. There was a big article on hybrids on internet recently, comparing them to 100% gas cars, stating the average # of years before gas savings covered the higher cost of the hybrid vehicle.

We don't need oil forever, but as long as oil barons have some to sell, that's probably what we'll use. There's many thousands of oil wells in many states, it's not all in the Gulf of Mexico or Alaska. Most of our oil in Alaska, last I heard, was being sold to Japan, as they will pay more.

The US lately gets much of its oil from North Dakota & Montana. Canada is #1 for our import sources. Saudi Arabia is said to be increasing oil production, so if Iran refuses US dollars for oil like Iraq did, we will still have all we can afford.

Many oil wells in the US are capped when oil prices drop. If oil prices go up, more pumpers are activated. I noticed that on 2 trips across Texas.

Back in the late '70s I got a map of one county in Kansas that showed about 3,000 oil wells. Yet I can't remember if Kansas was ever considered a major producer? I might take a look at what Wikipedia says about oil production by country & by state. Best wishes, George (MN)

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do the Volts have air conditioning ? What about their heater when it's 5 degrees out ? Won't the battery run down quicker in extreme weather ? :dontknow:

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
George,

must be nice to live where buses run! So, others can subsidize your ride!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in West Texas, where I know how many oil wells are being drilled! But, the price of oil is being controlled by arabs, and the guvment!!!!!!!!!!! Of course, the prices of the oil gotten out of these wells are the same as THOSE prices! But, the big sources of oil is still the gulf and oil sands in canada and some of the states where the POTUS will NOT allow drilling, forcing prices up............. Read about that!!!!!!!!!! or vote for the environmental folks that live in cities and ride OUR transportation! But, I know most can only see what NBC, CNN, etc tells ya. seems to be where YOUR reading comes from!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
olroy70 said:
George,

must be nice to live where buses run! So, others can subsidize your ride!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in West Texas, where I know how many oil wells are being drilled! But, the price of oil is being controlled by arabs, and the guvment!!!!!!!!!!! Of course, the prices of the oil gotten out of these wells are the same as THOSE prices! But, the big sources of oil is still the gulf and oil sands in canada and some of the states where the POTUS will NOT allow drilling, forcing prices up............. Read about that!!!!!!!!!! or vote for the environmental folks that live in cities and ride OUR transportation! But, I know most can only see what NBC, CNN, etc tells ya. seems to be where YOUR reading comes from!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess you don't realize those that live in the city pay for the busses not the masses in the country. Most of the money for the busses come from LOCAL taxes, others from fairs, and a few rarely from federal grants. Also, if you knew the bigger picture of why we really are not drilling as much for our oil you would understand why. Think about it, let the other countries dry up their oil reserves to near nothing, while we sit on ours, then as oil becomes scarece and high in prices, we open up the drilling in our country and reap the bennifits more so than the OPEC nations.

Also for your question about how much roof top, just the south facing side.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Dave44, you have a point there. I see it as being easy because I was a union electrician for 2 years before I went into electronics.I have a 40 breaker sqare D box. Any circit in any box can be a 220 circuit as long as you have two openings together. Another box can always be added and you can always run a line no matter how far away the panel is.

I like the Volt except for the price. It charges like the Leaf, but unlike the leaf you don't have to worry about running out of charge. It's kind of the best of both worlds.

The thing I would worry about is the battery replacement in about 5 years. If you watch the commercial on TV , the battery is installed before the suspension. It will be a well over $3K replacement. You will probably see a lot of 4 year electrics for sale. Frank

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
Frankn said:
Dave44, you have a point there. I see it as being easy because I was a union electrician for 2 years before I went into electronics.I have a 40 breaker sqare D box. Any circit in any box can be a 220 circuit as long as you have two openings together. Another box can always be added and you can always run a line no matter how far away the panel is.

I like the Volt except for the price. It charges like the Leaf, but unlike the leaf you don't have to worry about running out of charge. It's kind of the best of both worlds.

The thing I would worry about is the battery replacement in about 5 years. If you watch the commercial on TV , the battery is installed before the suspension. It will be a well over $3K replacement. You will probably see a lot of 4 year electrics for sale. Frank

and it is because of this we need a standerdied battery placement for removal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread