Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank, I would love to get more independent of the grid myself! But from what I have looked at recouping the cost is pretty close to impossible( because I like bathing, heat or A/C, and a warm meal).

But one of the biggest problems that I see, besides the low efficiency, the batteries are so limited. And if you look at the overreach of the EPA, CDC and the FDA, you have to wonder what the plans are for these used batteries. Think they may be worse on the environment than the new light bulbs?(they require hazmat if you break them don't they?) So if i look at how government wants to drive the economy I keep hearing this; " under my idea of cap and trade, energy prices would necessarily skyrocket". The reason being, to make an ineffecient design more pallateble by unnecessarily raising prices on the proven, cheap sources of energy.

Sounds great, Who is going to be hurt the most by this concept? Think it will be the companies that someone said this about; " I am not saying you can't use coal for power, I am simply saying that if you do it will bankrupt you to do so". Nope, it will be the small guys, you and I, people in the middle will bear this transitional cost farce!

I don't know if you heard, but at one point there was a plan to pulverize the silicon so that there was more surface area, and making tinted windows with it! Imagine! Your windows generating electricity! I love the promise, but I have to be practical, and the government seldom gets it right when they try to force something!

There are great things on the horizon, my friend! I remember my first microwave, and my first computer. And even the first useful calculators! But it takes time to develop from a building doing simple math to a handheld device, and they are not ready yet. When they are, you and I will have the means, unless it comes with some need we could not account for.

Yep, I said it. I only pooh the idea because it is nowhere near feasible. But my land and house are ready when the technology is! As long as the Gov doesn't try to force harmful or non working ideas on us!

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
Dave, Here is to answer one of your questions. No you do not need a hazmat cleanup crew after breaking a CFL. Also everyone has been using the larger florecent lights (ie tube lights) for how long? However if you do not like CFL's keep an eye out for LED light bulbs. Right now they are priced high like the CFL's were when they first came out, however when they do finally come down in price you better beleive that those are things I will be getting for my home. Some great news about them is their expected life is 50,000 hours vs 8,000 on cfls. Also leds are instant on, not senstitive to low temps, and are being desined to be dimable!

Also depending on where you live, the payback period for solar and wind would be 10 to 15 years. I can do more detailed calculations if you want and make a post.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cfls contain mercury don't they? I would like to see calculations that make this feasible in 10 or 15 years.

From the EPA;
http://epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html

A study from Maine;
http://www.maine.gov/dep/homeowner/cflreport.html

So, technically, you are right. You do not HAVE to call HAZMAT. But you should evacuate the premises and air it out for a few hours at least. Think the heating bill will rise in Maine if you break one in your house?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
werleibr said:
Some great news about them is their expected life is 50,000 hours vs 8,000 on cfls. Also leds are instant on, not senstitive to low temps, and are being desined to be dimable!

LIES! Do the math. If that bulbs lasts 50K hours, it should last about 16 years, YEARS! These stupid things costs 4 times as much and don't last any longer. Been using them for a couple years now because they are supposed to be soooo great. BS. Just another scam be sponsored by our tax dollars.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have started a new thread on solar energy, so that we do not hijack the Volt thread. Please look at that one werl, and Jason!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread