How do you mark your rocks?

Shemanese

Jun 23, 2008
Or points? Haven't seen this addressed and wondered what's the best way. How do you do a rough rock? Seems my site has alot more rough tools than points. Why would this be? I thot I was the first guy who found the place, but a friend tells me it was common knowledge 40 yrs. ago. Now no one else knows of the history or cares, but me. Could most of the points been hunted out? Thanks

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I was shown many years ago and the way almost all of old timers did is to get yourself a bottle of clear nail polish and a fine point marker. You put a layer of clear nail polish. After it dries you write your catalog number, site number, or whatever on the piece and then put another coat of clear nail polish over that to seal it in so it won't smear.

You can also just buy small adhesive stickers and write the info on them and stick them to the pieces.

I used to write directly on to my points and things and now most of the numbers are illegible. I can still make most of them out and figure out the catalog number on them, but some unfamiliar with my collection would be hard pressed to know were some of the things are from. Lately, I have just been keeping Site Trays with everything from one site in one tray and that way I don't to write anything on the artifacts, just on the back of the tray.

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
If only two Indians camped at a common site once every year or so, and only lost 2 points apiece every season they were there for let's say 3000 seasons(that would be easily done from Archaic to Woodland) then you'd have 12,000 points at that campsite not to mention all the other stuff they might have left behind like scrapers, knives, pendants, axes and whatever.

I don't see how any site can be truly hunted out if it was a decent campsite in a good area. It seems likely that there would always be something somewhere nearby either buried or submerged.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with GL, 75% of my finds are knives/blades, I used to think I'd emptied the field of points due to me finding so many blades, but its untrue. When you realise how long they camped there & how many knives/blades were needed, it makes sense to find a lot more blades than points, also blades were made & stored ready for use. If you think about it, the points were knapped & took with them hunting, so many were lost, but knives were used in the campsite for various uses. So its understandable to find a lot more blades on a good campsite.
If you're finding lots of knives then you are on a good site, just be patient when looking for points, they do pop up sometimes. Its a hit n miss kinda thing, some days I can find 10 good points, then other days 10 blades. Its just the way it is. So don't be disheartened or give up, I doubt very much that your site is emptied of points.

As for marking points, rough points, I use clear sealing bags & write all the info on the bag. Also I code them, take pics & put all my finds on discs,for reference. I've stopped marking points, I think it spoils them. Also if you sell or swap points, the buyer won't understand the code, so just store them in clear bags, you can always refer to the disc for reference. If points are in frames, just write on paper what they are & put it in a clear bag,tape it to the back of the frame.

Hope this helps Shemanese

Molly. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread