A true master of his craft!!

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
I found this one many years ago. Actually during the first year I started relic hunting. Talk about beginers luck! The date is on the point. It was in a field that had cabbage in it and on the edge of the road they had just dug the ditch out ad flipped the debris up into the field. As I was running out of the field from a t-storm guess what caught my eye. It has some of the best flaking I have seen. The original owner and maker of this point had to be disapointed about losing it. A true master of his craft.I sure am glad he lost it for me to find some 10,000 years later. Thank You Mr. Paleoman!! Enjoy.

Happy Huntin' , Bent-Twig.

Attachments

• Picture 1284.jpg
    Picture 1284.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 955
  • Picture 1285.jpg
    Picture 1285.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 949
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Cannonman17 said:
Outstanding point! Are the bottom edges ground heavy?
Cannonman,

The edges dont appear to be ground at all but the base has some grinding on it but not much. The sides at the bottom taper in but are not ground.

Bent-Twig.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Ohio_Doug said:
Cannonman17 said:
Outstanding point! Are the bottom edges ground heavy?

The base looks moderately ground to me. What does that tell you about this point cannon?
It just makes me question myself a bit because what appears at first glance to certainly be a paleo piece might not be for sure. If it were paleo I would expect the bottom 1/3 of the edges at the least to be fairly heavily ground. Now looking at that base too close for too long has me wondering about the tiny little flakes out of the corners.. I wonder if it might not be something else in disguise... the flaking style is throwing me a bit off as well... super quality piece no matter what it is.

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
I see what you are saying Cannon. But is'nt it reasonable to believe that each individual maker had his own way of striking a point? Maybe whoever made this point did'nt think all that grinding was as necessary as his grand daddy thought? Just seems like logical thinking to me :icon_scratch:

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Looks like a stemmed point, with the stem broken...then perhaps modified. Killer workmanship.

stonecracker59

Aug 31, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hello Bent Twig I,m new here just joined but I've been collecting artifacts for over 30yrs. now the point that you have is a hardahay around the late .
woodland early mississpian very nice indeed.

Howard :thumbsup:

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
stonecracker59 said:
Hello Bent Twig I,m new here just joined but I've been collecting artifacts for over 30yrs. now the point that you have is a hardahay around the late .
woodland early mississpian very nice indeed.

Howard :thumbsup:

It's not a Harahey, and Harahey are much later than the dates you suggest. Harahey are made by late Mississippian to historic plains natives by large percussion flaking and are frequently confused in their early stages with caddoan knives. I find them typically on butchering or "processing" sites. There are 3-4 completely different forms: your typical 4 bevel harahey, the two bevel (alot of people like to call them "snakehead"), the Neosho knife (named for Grand / Neosho waterway in the Ozarks), the Sekan knife (named for Southeast Kansas), and the pretty damn rare 3 bevel harahey.

Welcome to the site.

OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Hey folks.

Just gettin back on after the busy holiday. Alot of responses on this piece , and alot of ideas that have me thinking now too. I dont believe it to have been a stemmed point unless it could have come from another area. I have never found or seen any stemmed point in this area w/this quality of flaking on them. At the state show every one w/out doubt said it was a paleo lance. Maybe I'm misjudging the grinding but I really dont think it is ground. I will try my camera skills on the base and sides here in a little bit. Maybe if I can get the pics clear enough you can help me out to weather or not the piece is ground. If it is not a paleo piece what else from this area could it be :icon_scratch:? I will get some more pics up here shortly. :thumbsup:

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Bent-Twig said:
Hey folks.

Just gettin back on after the busy holiday. Alot of responses on this piece , and alot of ideas that have me thinking now too. I dont believe it to have been a stemmed point unless it could have come from another area. I have never found or seen any stemmed point in this area w/this quality of flaking on them. At the state show every one w/out doubt said it was a paleo lance. Maybe I'm misjudging the grinding but I really dont think it is ground. I will try my camera skills on the base and sides here in a little bit. Maybe if I can get the pics clear enough you can help me out to weather or not the piece is ground. If it is not a paleo piece what else from this area could it be :icon_scratch:? I will get some more pics up here shortly. :thumbsup:

Show a close-up of the base edge if you get a chance and wouldn't mind. The pics make it highly resemble something along the lines of a Stringtown / early lanceolate that was salvaged, it could be the camera angle though. The small 'Notches' at the basal corners as well as the steep basal edge retouch lends credence to the idea that it at one time may have been stemmed, notched, or otherwise hafted in a different fashion.

OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Hey Folks!

I know that it is hard to tell much from pictures. I took a bunch of pictures to try and help you make a decision on what the piece is. I have a point in one of the pics tha has simular flaking. I hope the pics help, I know they arent the best.

Attachments

• Picture 1445.jpg
    Picture 1445.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 682
  • Picture 1448.jpg
    Picture 1448.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 687
  • Picture 1447.jpg
    Picture 1447.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 688
  • Picture 1446.jpg
    Picture 1446.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 690
  • Picture 1444.jpg
    Picture 1444.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 703
  • Picture 1441.jpg
    Picture 1441.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 694
  • Picture 1440.jpg
    Picture 1440.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 704
  • Picture 1437.jpg
    Picture 1437.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 706
  • Picture 1436.jpg
    Picture 1436.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 699
  • Picture 1449.jpg
    Picture 1449.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 674

rocky

Greenie
Nov 2, 2007
VERY NICE!

Looks like a high-plains Angostura made of Alibates. Odd to be so far from the typical area if I'm guessing right, but no more odd than other things I have seen found in the 'wrong' place.

That is state of the art workmanship.

ROCKY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread