How do you stay warm when detecting in the cold?

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since the weather is getting cold out there lets share tips on staying warm. Other then the typical layering of clothing and wearing a hat do you have any tricks you would like to share? Also, if you have any tools that work well on getting targets out of frozen ground lets see them.

For myself when the weather gets cold I try to move my detecting into the woods. Most critters and bugs are not around in the cold weather. The trees block the wind and the fallen leaves keep the ground from freezing too early.

Good luck to all the hard core winter hunters out there.

NJ

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like layers . no coat . 3 sweatshirts . thermos and jeans , and my minelab vest and full face mask . my hunting buddy has electric gloves that work off battery . [ i think there neat ] ..... i dont think i ever stop hunting unless there is alot of snow . and the shovels i use are got when the groung is frozen up to 3 in . ..........this year i will try the warmers that you crack and shake and stay warm for a couple hours .

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i do layers with no coat and just try to keep walking and hopefully digging. a hand warmer in each pant pocket also helps. i don't mind the cold as much as the wind, if its windy then i just stay in.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm blessed living in Northern California. I can get away with only a sweat shirt in the winter, T shirt most of the year! I feel for you guys in the mid west and eastern states. I lived in Kansas for 1 year, it was brutal during the winter. :o

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
One thing I have'nt figured out how to prevent is my eyes watering so bad it feels like I could develop "eye''cycles down my face!! >:(

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By now we have too much snow cover to do much detecting in the immediate area. The frost line is about 48 inches, and the ground is very hard. I'm not bothered a lot by the cold, as long as my feet stay warm. Dressing in layers is very good advice here in the high country. Those hand warmer things work pretty good, too. With the mountains, I'm not bothered a whole lot by wind and as long as you keep moving around it's not intolerable. Everybody on here needs to be familiar with the signs of hypothermia, though. You can die pretty quick, and might not even know you're dying until it's too late.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put my t-shirt back on! TTC

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You mean besides getting in my car and going back home?

I have boots with Thinsulate in them...Wolvereens....expensive but well worth the money.
Body armor made by Fruit of the Loom, nice and thin...
Elmer Fudd style hat...(yea, look of the true geek!)

I work outdoors....today was a balmy 12 with a windchill of -7...as long as I kept moving I was okay.

Definately try to stay out of the wind, woods are good if they're dense enough to block the wind...but then you lose the sun.
Dark colors absorb heat, light colors reflect. I wear a black coat...

You might want to consider a 12v coffee heater for breaks to warm your innards. :coffee2:

Most important...keep your head, hands and feet warm...

I have trouble wearing gloves...that's my downfall. Better to wear thin gloves that you can maneuver your fingers then to keep taking them off to press detector buttons or dig. Rubber doesn't breath and will hold heat but makes your hands sweat.

Al

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Layers, but not too many.

I put on a flannel shirt over a t-shirt, then I have a Black pullover windbreaker I wear over them. When the sun hits the black material it keeps me warm all day. If it's really cold, I stay home these days, :D but I used to have a hoodie I would wear under the pullover, making it very comfortable to detect in without all the big bulk.

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pac Boots,and insulated socks....
Walls Polar Suit....They have built-in suspenders :icon_thumleft:
Several pairs of gloves,one set gets wet I switch them out...
Soup

DavidRamey

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2010
Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's GMT
Pendleton Wool Shirt, wool Pants, thick wool socks, pac boots, L.L.Bean wool coat, poly pro long johns, Stormy Krommer wool hat, and several pairs of gloves or mittens

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I watch my wife retrieve my coins, while I sit in the warm truck :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: ::)............NGE

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
getting a wee bit older and I despise the cold.

I wear layers but mostly I avoid outside when it is downright BBBrrrr lol and that stinks cause I farm and have to be at the barn :laughing7:

detecting, kinda no for now. I put it on hold til early spring. For me that isn't too long in NC.
but wind and cold, I don't have the gumption to detect. I would rather be inside :laughing9:

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just purchased one of those skiing face masks over the weekend. It works pretty well. Wind and water proof.

So yesterday while at work I felt like I was getting sick and by the time I left I had the chills. Got into the truck and all my cold weather detecting gear was there so I put on the hat (black), face mask (black) and scarf (black). Already had on a long black wool trench coat. I looked in the rear view mirror...looked like a SWAT or Special Forces hit team member. All I could see were my eye staring back...I wonder what the other drivers around me were thinking. Kept me nice and warm until I got the heat going at full blast. I can't wait until vacation to a warmer destination.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread