How do you store your stash?

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Nickel Searcher 219

May 25, 2012
I dont have to worry about theft because our super dangerous bischon(french poodle)barks when anyone is within 250 feet of our house.And our driveway is bout half a mile long and ends at the busiest highway in Willard.

OP
OP
CRHQueen

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am huge on home storage due to safety deposit boxes being audited if death occurs.

I have a safe that looks like a book (dictionary size) in which I keep my collectable currency. I store my uncirculated, uncertified coins in a safe in storage boxes then in tubes. I like a neat safe. I have a few Dansco albums that remain on my desk so I can see what spots I need to fill as I CRH.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't have much silver in my possession so I just keep it in a money box like the one's you see at every bake sale. I am looking to invest in a safe however to keep important documents and eventually coins safe.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I gutted a 1970s Pepsi Machine were the compressor burnt up, pulled all the insulation out and welded 3/4 inch steel boards on the sides between the outside and the housing where the bottle mech use to be. (The Machine has one door and then another door behind it) From there I cut another lock into that door. So with having two locks, and being reinforced by steel, I keep my copper, silver and 2x2's in it in a locked fireproof box. Since im an intense soda pop antique collector its in my room(: so im not worried. And if anyone should try to come in, I do have a pitbull. She isn't in a good mood she just had surgery so I wouldn't want to cross her.

smitty58d

Feb 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I make wind chimes out of them all so I can hear that beautiful sound all the time and hang them all over the yard.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol home safes may b fireproof but after the fire u have an unrecognizable lump of metal inside of it

OP
OP
CRHQueen

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
Lol home safes may b fireproof but after the fire u have an unrecognizable lump of metal inside of it

Safety Deposit Boxes aren't the best either! If you die before you get anything out- you will be audited. Even if your box is a shared box. Beware! I've seen people lose up to 25% of their box value.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no "perfect" place to stash your stash. All have faults. As FFD pointed out, home safes aren't fireproof, they are merely fire resistant. It wouldn't take much of a fire to reduce your stash to a unrecognizable clump of metal. Bank safety deposit boxes can be seized and/or audited. Also, in the case of violent economic collapse (not likely in the near future IMO, but must at least be considered), banks will likely not be open for business. Even if they were, and you could somehow travel safely to the bank, you'll be an absurdly bigger target leaving the bank. That pretty much only leaves hiding/burying the stash which has its own set of problems. First, someone could accidentally stumble across it and take it. Next, you have to tell your intended heir(s) where it is, or at least tell them to look in a certain place for instructions/directions/a map in case of your demise. A thief could potentially stumble across your "treasure map" and relieve you of your stash. Also, when it comes to money, people (even family members) sometimes do unimaginable things. Its not uncommon to hear about kids or grandkids stealing everything the parents/grandparents own. On the other hand, if you tell no one where it is and you die suddenly/unexpectedly, your intended heir(s) likely will not find the stash.

After weighing all the options, I went with the safety deposit box. I think that fire and theft are more likely than total economic collapse. I also don't expect TOTAL collapse to happen overnight. I think (hope) there would be enough warning signs that would allow sufficient time to run to the bank and retrieve the goods.

Statistically speaking, just like investments, you should probably diversify. Put some of the stash in a safe, hide some, and put some in a safety deposit box. That way, if one of the bad scenarios I listed above happens to you, you haven't lost the whole stash...just a portion of it.​

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
I bought a safe sometime back and well it has more on top of it than in it. I enjoy my coins and love to show them off therefore my albums are laying out on my desk just waiting for someone new to come over so I can show them. As far as theft goes I only lock them up when we are gone for long periods of time. Me like a lot of others I really don't have to awful much maybe 3-5 thousand worth of coins. I have always said though I enjoy my coins just not worries about the silver content if I was I wouldn't have a collection of Silver Panda's because we all know the premium they carry and are still just one OZ. Anyways I agree with others there is no fell proof way.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I gutted a 1970s Pepsi Machine were the compressor burnt up, pulled all the insulation out and welded 3/4 inch steel boards on the sides between the outside and the housing where the bottle mech use to be. (The Machine has one door and then another door behind it) From there I cut another lock into that door. So with having two locks, and being reinforced by steel, I keep my copper, silver and 2x2's in it in a locked fireproof box. Since im an intense soda pop antique collector its in my room(:

I am intregued ... Can we see a picture of this? I love vintage soda stuff! :)

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gun Safe and fire resistant for 14 minutes. Live in a block house so am not too too worried about the duration of the fire. Gun safe is bolted to the concrete floor, electrified (gone through 3 cats already :( ),
Retina Scan Required and a combination that is 15 numbers long. Must also hold your mouth slightly open and to the right when you are entering the numbers or it won't work.

Also as a side note, make sure to turn off the electricity prior to touching the safe. Buffy, Muffy and Fluffy R.I.P.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread