How do you store your stash?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gun safe as well, the thing is so heavy there's no way in hell anybody would get away with it, not to mention the 6-digit code to open the safe with numbers ranging from 0-99 :) it's so sensitive that even if you're off by 1-2 numbers, it won't open.
fire resistant for somewhere 10 mins+ too, bolted to the floor. but hopefully i never will have to find that one out!
hh
buff

BobClark

Jul 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually hide my stash up my nose. I feel its the safest and most fun spot to hide it.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Statistically speaking, just like investments, you should probably diversify. Put some of the stash in a safe, hide some, and put some in a safety deposit box. That way, if one of the bad scenarios I listed above happens to you, you haven't lost the whole stash...just a portion of it.​

good idea

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These safes are fire resistant for 10-15 minutes. But unless you have a meth lab in your house with a lot of highly combustible compounds, I seriously doubt a fire in your home is gonna get up to the 1764 degrees F needed to actually MELT your silver stash. Right???

To those of you who like to show it off/enjoy your coins... I would be careful these days who you show your silver/coins to, esp if you just leave that stuff layin around. I suggest rotating your collection between home / bank.

Bank deposit boxes are the way to go. When was the last time you heard of someone robbing bank deposit boxes? Or getting your box audited?

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These safes are fire resistant for 10-15 minutes. But unless you have a meth lab in your house with a lot of highly combustible compounds, I seriously doubt a fire in your home is gonna get up to the 1764 degrees F needed to actually MELT your silver stash. Right???

To those of you who like to show it off/enjoy your coins... I would be careful these days who you show your silver/coins to, esp if you just leave that stuff layin around. I suggest rotating your collection between home / bank.

Bank deposit boxes are the way to go. When was the last time you heard of someone robbing bank deposit boxes? Or getting your box audited?
I'm no firefighter but I would not be shocked to see that a run of the mill house fire reaches those kind of temps....

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OPSEC

Eggs, baskets, not all in one, etc.

My silver is safely stashed in a safe on Mars, or maybe its a SDB, or something?

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gun safe 1000 lb Some in bank box. My guard dog hes the best.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those of you who question whether or not a house fire will get hot enough to melt silver, here is but a small example-

DSC00834.JPG DSC00837.JPG

Melted Morgan Dollar

As for where I keep my stash... a little here and a little there.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
90% of my stash is in safety deposit boxes (different banks). My binders with my coin collections is mostly at home for the kids and I to enjoy, but the gold, morgan dollars, and tubes of halves and dimes are in the bank. Fire or theft is much more likely than collaspe of civil society. If a bank fails, it is reopened quickly for safety deposit boxes owners to get the contents of their boxes.

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I keep my goods in a 1,900 lb safe, rated for temperatures that will never be seen in a house fire, 2-step fire seals, anti pry doors, and another few hundred pounds of stuff inside. It ain't going anywhere.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep my goods in a 1,900 lb safe, rated for temperatures that will never be seen in a house fire, 2-step fire seals, anti pry doors, and another few hundred pounds of stuff inside. It ain't going anywhere.

Is it bolted down?

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Out here in earthquake country, where almost all houses are wood-framed, a house fire absolutely will get hot enough to severely damage coins. I've heard many stories of people losing their collections after the 1991 Oakland hills fire.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions