Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you tell someone that I don't care

How do you tell someone that I don't care if the yard sale is for charity. I hit 2 or 3 "charity" yardsales a week and they want more or won't bargain on a price because it "goes to save the stray dogs" or "little johnny is going on a mission to zimbobway"

I got into a "discussion" with a lady over a medium box not even half full of recycle k-rap and smalls for ebay. (some hoarder lady died and this church got everything) I offered $5 (I know lowball but I have to start somewhere) She goes OH NO IT IS WORTH MORE THAN THAT, her husband just stood there. Then she started counting things at $1 each. I told her I could not pay that much because it was all recycle. she said OK $15 and we went back and forth a bit. she wanted to take the whole box back. I said lets put back that watch (she thought was worth $15) and I will pay $8.00 she countered with $10 or leave everything. I paid her the $10 and she left.

I looked at her husband still standing there and asked him if he ever won any arguments with her?
No answer as he left with a puppy dog look on his face.

I whistled all the way back to my car. One of the items in my box was a sterling spoon ($17)

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I just walk away.

It is either a good deal for both the seller and I, or I just leave. The picking is way too easy to care much, especially if it is low end stuff.

But to answer you question, I, in a laid back manner, explain that I am a reseller or scrapper.

I often say things like;

"I know it might have more resale value than what I'm offering."
"If you aren't happy with the offer, I totally understand."
"I know it might be worth more, but this is where I'm at."
"I simply cannot go any higher than $___, and I'm taking a chance at that."
"Thank you for at least listening to my offer...I do appreciate, and I hope you aren't offended."

This approach works for me...I don't get ticked if people don't want my offer. For instance, last Friday, I was at an estate sale. I picked up a box of radio tubes, and added some NOS GM spark plugs. I asked how much, and he replied "$35 for everything." I asked if he had any room to work, and he replied with "$25 is the best I can do."

"We are pretty far apart. As you know, I resell, and I was wanting them for $10. If the plugs fit a '67 Vette, I'd win big, but if they fit a '77 dump truck, I'm going to lose big time" I replied.

The seller stood by his price until I started to put them down, and then said "$18...but that is the final offer." I took them at that price.

After being in this game for years, I am sometimes appalled by how some buyers act when trying to buy. I don't understand why they get so mad when they can't get the price they want. I saw a guy at a train show get fighting mad because a seller wouldn't come down any more, started screaming, and stormed off. I walked to the sellers's table, apologized for the other guys behavior, and bought everything he had for $100...and quadrupled my money within a week.

I've seen it time and time again, and I'll never understand why some buyers get so emotional and angry when they can't get someone to lower their price any more. They are getting ticked, and leaving money and profits behind.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. to me buying and selling is business, pure and simple. If I'm selling something and someone lowballs me, I don't take it personally I just tell him how low I will go and he can either take it or leave it. vice versa when I lowball someone, and they come back with a high number I may continue to add a buck or two to the price, but not much more. I usually stand firm with an offer and just walk. anyone who gets upset needs a thick skin.

that's hilarious about asking the guy if he wins arguments with his wife

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When they tell me it is a fundraiser for one thing or another I just look at them and say "oh,right on, well I would like to buy this for this amount" if they say no I just tell them, "that is the best I can do, if you want to let money walk away, Good luck!" usually 90% of the time they will say okay.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
in the old days when someone told me something like that I would say " here's a quarter, call someone who cares" but no pub phones now

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fart then when its about to be smelled by them, act like you smelled it first and get offended that they would try and get rid of you in such a manner. Even though they didn't do it, it sets them enough off balance to make the deal fast =)

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Ever want to reach through the TV and punch Frank when you're watching American Pickers and he nitpicks something and argues for 10 minutes to save a nickle and then giggles like a little girl when he's back in the van about how he bought it for $10 bucks and it's worth $200 ? Freakin bottom feeders....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever want to reach through the TV and punch Frank when you're watching American Pickers and he nitpicks something and argues for 10 minutes to save a nickle and then giggles like a little girl when he's back in the van about how he bought it for $10 bucks and it's worth $200 ? Freakin bottom feeders....

I agree there because when they first started out,
they used to be filmed Giving people more them they asked.
Now everything is a Rip the people off thing with him.
Not only that, But what do these people think when they see the show ?
of course I wonder if there is an automatic $200 or more paid to each
home owner who appears on the show making it easier to swallow their offers.
and Maybe even the offers are scripted too :laughing7:

==========

Now to the original question, I don't do charity deals, but maybe next time I have a sale & should
advertise I'm selling for the Crippled & retired Metal Detectorists association :tongue3:

personally when Buying If they say no to my offer I walk

If I'm selling I always list a price higher then I want because of people like me .

& as I said waa-waa-waa it's for Grandpaws hernia operation, will get the thought
a swift kick from behind will cure it !

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must be a pushover because I will often buy something from a benefit sale just to "donate to the cause". I figure a dollar or two isn't going to break me. Not to mention it's good karma for me and bad karma for them if they are bs'ing.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
in the old days when someone told me something like that I would say " here's a quarter, call someone who cares" but no pub phones now

Lol!

sent from a potato...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Fart then when its about to be smelled by them, act like you smelled it first and get offended that they would try and get rid of you in such a manner. Even though they didn't do it, it sets them enough off balance to make the deal fast =)

Lol! You and I have the same sense of humor!! I might just try this tactic this weekend! I'll even stop by Taco Bell first!

sent from a potato...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I must be a pushover because I will often buy something from a benefit sale just to "donate to the cause". I figure a dollar or two isn't going to break me. Not to mention it's good karma for me and bad karma for them if they are bs'ing.

Same go for taxes? Lol

sent from a potato...

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! You and I have the same sense of humor!! I might just try this tactic this weekend! I'll even stop by Taco Bell first!

sent from a potato...

Pickled eggs sir...... pickled eggs =P

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I use this tactic, say something is priced at $20 I pick it up look at it get 15 out hand the cash toward them and say would you take $15 ? Most of the time they will take the cash out of reflex. As far a charity sales go I’m with Dig a buck or 2 won’t kill me and I feel good helping out somebody. We have a Pelatonia cancer fundraising sale every year in Central Ohio and it always has good stuff. HH Ace Villa-v

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell them your intention is to resell it and you have to make a profit too so paying 'yard sale' retail won't work.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I use this tactic, say something is priced at $20 I pick it up look at it get 15 out hand the cash toward them and say would you take $15 ? Most of the time they will take the cash out of reflex. As far a charity sales go I’m with Dig a buck or 2 won’t kill me and I feel good helping out somebody. We have a Pelatonia cancer fundraising sale every year in Central Ohio and it always has good stuff. HH Ace Villa-v

Charity or not, you can't pay to much for to long...otherwise you will need some charity! Lol!

sent from a potato...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same go for taxes? Lol sent from a potato...

blog+240.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread