IT Guys? I picked an Epox EP-MVP3G-M Mainboard (Motherboard)

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks used and is in an "anti-static bag". I didn't take a pic of it, can you safely take a pic of a motherboard and not damage it? It came with thiss manual and a software CD. I have seen them working, selling for $30 - $50. I realize this is old tech, but it looked cool. I found it in the board game section. ha ha.. because the box looks like a board game. I am not tech savy, so where can I go to get it tested for free or a reasonable price? HH

I'm sure a computer repair shop could test it, but that would eat up any profit. If you had an old Pentium, K6-2/K6III cpu, old power supply and an AGP video card you run a post test.

Last edited:
I'm sure a computer repair shop could test it, but that would eat up any profit. If you had an old K6-2/K6III cpu, old power supply and an AGP video card you run a post test.

I am over my head, whoa

Oh, and you can safely take a pic. Just don't lay it on the carpet to do it.

This is a a late 90's mainboard for Pentium I / AMD K6 or Cyrix 6x86 cpu's. It's too new to be a collector's item and too old to have value as computer hardware. There are people who extract the gold from the connectors, like the ones that recycle old cell phones. They probably wouldn't pay you to ship it to them. Sorry. (Computers are my real life job.)

I'm sure a computer repair shop could test it, but that would eat up any profit. If you had an old Pentium, K6-2/K6III cpu, old power supply and an AGP video card you run a post test.
You forgot memory and cpu fan and a pci video card would work too :)

You forgot memory and cpu fan and a pci video card would work too :)

Yeah, I was just going for the post test though. Would also need a dimm, and you are right, a PCI video card would work as well.

Batcap, check ebay. Paladin 20603 is right, it seems they run between 30-50 on ebay. I would have thought pretty much worthless as well.

Last edited:
IMO, I have sold motherboards on ebay (years ago, I have since stopped). It is really tough because it is a piece of sensitive electronics. There is any number of variables that could kill the deal. It requires the end user (buyer) to properly install the item. You won't know if it "works" until that happens. They can claim it was broken even if they installed it wrong and there is basically nothing you can do about it. The motherboard could technically work but it could have been hit with a surge earlier in its life and it may be "partially fried" already.

My personal method for selling stuff like this: Do not even test it. Just sell it and pray that it works. If the buyer tells you there is a problem, just refund their money and move on. To sell something like this you are basically taking the highest amount of risk there is. Either be prepared to handle this or dont bother listing it.

For those less informed, POST = Power On Self Test.

Generally all you need is a CPU, Power Supply, video card and monitor to run it. Some may require at least some Memory stick(s).

The POST is part of what you see when you turn your PC on and before you get to the operating system ... say... Windows or UNIX. Depending on the BIOS (Basic Input Output Software/System?) you would generally see the Memory count up, the determination if the BIOS found Hard Drives, CDs etc through one of it's controllers (IDE, SATA, etc). Then there's the "Hit F1 to enter BIOS" (some require F7 or another key)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back