How do you think the coin you found got there? POLL TIME!

Why do you think old coins get found where they are?

• cache

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • hole in pocket

• a roll in the hay

• dropped/hidden by kids

• a sacrifice

• fell through a crack in the floor

• lost at the fair etc

• other

• Total voters

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
Ive often thought about why coins get found, especially valuable ones at the time.

Im sure some were hidden by their owners at troubled times, others stolen and hidden. A lot just dropped I guess.

Little caches hidden by kids, big ones by people who died or forgot where they were. How many fell out whilst having a roll in the hay? or just by lying on the grass who knows?

So many must lie under where floors once were. The tips must be full of them too. What old box doesnt have a small coin trapped under the flap?

Id be interested to see how the poll comes out if you would like to vote!

VOTE EARLY AND VOTE OFTEN!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I found my barber dime 1896 I bet the guy who lost it probly acused some one that they stolled it, probly lost a good frend over somthing he did.It's funny how we try to reinact sertan events or come up with our own ideas of how it got there.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Tornado dropped that bank vault in my backyard, money fell out, then tornado took the vault out over the river and dropped it in, later this spring.

999slvrfx

Nov 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/sunray probe,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I find an old coin or a ring I often wonder
who the last person was that touched it and how
they lost it.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Money use to be nearly all coins so I think a hole in a pocket usually caused a lot of lost coins, especially gold ones. Money of the 20s and 30s was hard to come by and anyone lost coins of that era would be disasterous. So I think they were lost out of raggedy clothes and the loser hadn't a clue where they may have lost them. Monty

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
When kids managed to lose all of the discs for their tracer gun, they'd use coins instead... even if it meant swiping the "old coin jar" from mom's room.

Attachments

• tracerdisc.JPG
    tracerdisc.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 143

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread