How does the SandShark compare to the..................

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the SandShark, but have never used a Surfmaster.

I can tell you that the Sandshark will keep you digging. There is nothing to set on it. It's pretty much an on/off machine. I've dug an earring back deeper than 12" in the surf. It finds everything metal, and I mean everything...

scrooge

May 3, 2008
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Dual Field,Whites PI Pro,Whites SurfMaster II- Tesoro Silver Saber uMAX-Garrett Infinium LS
I am buying a Sand Shark since Garrett can't seem to fix my Infinium.

geckokid

Aug 4, 2007
Delaware, USA
Detector(s) used
Eldorado
GIB said:
I have the SandShark, but have never used a Surfmaster.

I can tell you that the Sandshark will keep you digging. There is nothing to set on it. It's pretty much an on/off machine. I've dug an earring back deeper than 12" in the surf. It finds everything metal, and I mean everything...
What coil do you use on the sand shark when you found the earring backs deeper than 12 inches?
8 inch coil?
10.5 inch coil?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
geckokid said:
What coil do you use on the sand shark when you found the earring backs deeper than 12 inches?
8 inch coil?
10.5 inch coil?

8" coil.

I dug a dang trench on that one. It is entirely possible that in my digging the target may have fallen out of the scoop while digging causing me to go a couple of extra inches deep, perhaps not. It was not a controlled measurement.

I was impressed at the hole I had to dig.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
scrooge said:

I'm not sure if the Machine is faulty, or you are not operating it correctly......I had a bit of a learning curve with mine, and stuck with it. I seem to only use it these days for water hunting. The places I hunt are hunted regularily, or hunted out and sometimes are old and never been hunted before. I won't use it at the cut, as there is just too much junk there, and it ends up being a lesson in futility. If the water is producing a lot of waves, I either stay in the shallows or stay in the deep with the box under water. The area in between is too difficult to work. The Infinium is not a do it all-turn on and go machine. It works very well in certain areas, and as you have noticed, not so well in others. However, it is a killer in high mineralized soil and heavy salt water. It was designed to find gold in some of the most highest mineralized soil in the world. Garrett water-proofed it so it could also be used in water. I think it is a gold machine first, water machine second. No machine does it all, and the Infinium definitely has some strengths and also some weaknesses. I see you also have other machines, which is how most of us operate too. If the Infinium doesn't work well under certain conditions, by all means use a different machine.

I have been using Garrett products for over 15 years and have had nothing but praise for their customer service. If you aren't happy with the service, let them know. They truly want you to be a happy customer.

Good luck with whatever you do.

scrooge

May 3, 2008
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Dual Field,Whites PI Pro,Whites SurfMaster II- Tesoro Silver Saber uMAX-Garrett Infinium LS
John-Edmonton said:
scrooge said:

I'm not sure if the Machine is faulty, or you are not operating it correctly......I had a bit of a learning curve with mine, and stuck with it. I seem to only use it these days for water hunting. The places I hunt are hunted regularily, or hunted out and sometimes are old and never been hunted before. I won't use it at the cut, as there is just too much junk there, and it ends up being a lesson in futility. If the water is producing a lot of waves, I either stay in the shallows or stay in the deep with the box under water. The area in between is too difficult to work. The Infinium is not a do it all-turn on and go machine. It works very well in certain areas, and as you have noticed, not so well in others. However, it is a killer in high mineralized soil and heavy salt water. It was designed to find gold in some of the most highest mineralized soil in the world. Garrett water-proofed it so it could also be used in water. I think it is a gold machine first, water machine second. No machine does it all, and the Infinium definitely has some strengths and also some weaknesses. I see you also have other machines, which is how most of us operate too. If the Infinium doesn't work well under certain conditions, by all means use a different machine.

I have been using Garrett products for over 15 years and have had nothing but praise for their customer service. If you aren't happy with the service, let them know. They truly want you to be a happy customer.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Been metal detecting 25 plus years and know how to operate a metal detector.. I am not the only one with the same problems that can be found posted on numerous forums. That includes you..Garrett has quality control issues. The machine has been sent in twice for NEEDED repairs in 9 months. Garrett shouldn't market a machine to be used in the saltwater if it is not designed for that environment. I am glad you are happy with Garrett. I don't have a problem with the customer service I have a problem paying for something I can't use and continually needs repair... I just want a machine that works. From your post it seems like you work for Garrett. I have been posting my unbiased problems with the unit. I personally will not buy another Garrett product.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread