How does this happen?

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my usual batch of dimes from my local bank the other day, and when I opened up one of the boxes, I had the tail end of a nice mercury dime staring up at me from one of the rolls. I opened the roll and it had two more mercs in it, in relatively the same condition. So naturally, I figured this was going to be a killer box. As it turns out the entire rest of the box was completely clad. Not that I'm complaining about getting 3 Mercs in one roll, but how the heck do 3 random mercury dimes end up in one roll? I mean really, what are the odds?

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on finding a nice 3 Merc roll. Idk why but sometimes silver seems to kinda clot together when they are mwr'd and boxed. Probably one of the strangest examples of this is someone just earlier this year finding an entire solid silver mwr of halves in a box and I cant remember exactly for sure now but that was either the only silver or nearly the only silver in the whole box. The odds of that ever happening seem so completely remote but you just never know what you might find with this hobby.

OP
OP
J

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Silverface, yeah you just never know. That's what makes this hobby cool.

Congrats on finding a nice 3 Merc roll. Idk why but sometimes silver seems to kinda clot together when they are mwr'd and boxed. Probably one of the strangest examples of this is someone just earlier this year finding an entire solid silver mwr of halves in a box and I cant remember exactly for sure now but that was either the only silver or nearly the only silver in the whole box. The odds of that ever happening seem so completely remote but you just never know what you might find with this hobby.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah that's what keeps this hobby unpredictable and interesting. And I've had half boxes somewhat similar to your dime box myself. I've gotten half boxes that have two silver in one roll and that's the only silver in the whole box. Just last month I got a half box that had a '68D ender and a '67 in the same roll and that was the only silver in the whole box. But your 3 Merc roll does seem a little more unusual and is a pretty cool find.

H$H!

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happened to a buddy of mine, he found 3 mercs in a roll, and that was it for the silver... I dont think he had a merc ender, pretty sweet!

HH

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a merc ender- thats something ive always wanted with dimes but never got

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
J

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's actually the second mercury ender I've gotten in the past year. Enders are rare for me though. I bet I've got less than a half dozen silver enders in a year and a half of doing steady dimes. Can't complain though as I have also picked up 7 Barbers and 2 seated liberties (1856 and 1876CC).

Congrats on a merc ender- thats something ive always wanted with dimes but never got

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say finding 7 Barbers and 2 seated liberties in the past year and a half is probably even more remarkable than the 3 Merc roll/3 silver box you just found. Congrats on all the great finds.

H$H!

OP
OP
J

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks silverface -- I am amazed at those who can constantly pull the big numbers from halves. I started out with halves, but didn't have much luck. Now, I just keep a low profile and stick to my dimes.

I'd say finding 7 Barbers and 2 seated liberties in the past year and a half is probably even more remarkable than the 3 Merc roll/3 silver box you just found. Congrats on all the great finds.

H$H!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks silverface -- I am amazed at those who can constantly pull the big numbers from halves. I started out with halves, but didn't have much luck. Now, I just keep a low profile and stick to my dimes.

Yeah we all gotta find out what works best for each of us and it sure sounds like dimes have worked out good for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread