How far youve come since your newbie days?

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How far you've come since your newbie days?

I spent some time reading my old threads and posts on this board, including this one when I first started CRH:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...ltimate-dump-bank-newbies-story-utah-crh.html

I read it now and have a good laugh about my thoughts on CRH at that time. I remember being scared of not being able to carry a 25 pound box of Halves so I ordered 30 rolls instead. For the past 15 months I have consistently carried 2 boxes(50 pounds) in a backpack from the bank to the car/bus stop, and from the car/bus stop to the dump bank. I estimate that I have carried over 5 TONS of Halves on my back, not even including Dimes.

I remember getting those 3 40%s at the first bank I asked for Half Dollars and thinking about all the Silver I was sure to find at just about every bank. Then getting hit with cold hard reality as running around half the County or so only got me a few Silvers, and I faced about 8 skunks in a row when I first started getting boxes or 30 rolls before I felt comfortable with boxes. Although I had hit the nail on the head with "I read somewhere that consistency and volume are the keys to finding the silver coins and overcoming the skunks." In those 5 tons or more of Halves searched, my longest skunk streak was 17 boxes. Certainly a downer but I powered through it and continue to find Silver.

One interesting thing is that a long time member of this board strongly suggested I count the coins I dump, and I tried to argue with him about how it wouldn't be worth it and another experienced member informed me that rolls can be short quite often. Turns out I see quite my share of 19 coin bank sealed rolls, but I also see some 21 coin rolls. The worst I ever saw was a $20 short by not knowing that a sealed box of Halves only had 48 rolls. As annoying as it is, I just write stuff like that off as the cost of doing business.

Upvote 0

Catcake

Oct 19, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look back at my first CRH adventure 2 weeks ago and I have fold memories. My very first roll at a silver coin! I've found six silvers and two gold plated in the $1500 I've pawed through... Happy hunting!

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in college, making crap money... remember thinking $500 was a lot of cash to drop on a box. Constantly struggled to keep my head afloat. Got into lots of CC debt by not going under $500 so I could get boxes of halves, I was addicted. I eventually just ran out of cash and had to stop for a bit. Graduated college, got a good job, and now I'm rolling through 30-50 boxes a week... I never want to go back to how things were back then. Being constantly broke, living paycheck to paycheck and stressing about every last dollar SUCKS.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember gas was not even a dollar a gallon, Jimmy Carter was president, and I had no room in the car for all of my 8-track tapes.
We threw 40%'ers back into the wild.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread