How far youve come since your newbie days?

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How far you've come since your newbie days?

I spent some time reading my old threads and posts on this board, including this one when I first started CRH:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...ltimate-dump-bank-newbies-story-utah-crh.html

I read it now and have a good laugh about my thoughts on CRH at that time. I remember being scared of not being able to carry a 25 pound box of Halves so I ordered 30 rolls instead. For the past 15 months I have consistently carried 2 boxes(50 pounds) in a backpack from the bank to the car/bus stop, and from the car/bus stop to the dump bank. I estimate that I have carried over 5 TONS of Halves on my back, not even including Dimes.

I remember getting those 3 40%s at the first bank I asked for Half Dollars and thinking about all the Silver I was sure to find at just about every bank. Then getting hit with cold hard reality as running around half the County or so only got me a few Silvers, and I faced about 8 skunks in a row when I first started getting boxes or 30 rolls before I felt comfortable with boxes. Although I had hit the nail on the head with "I read somewhere that consistency and volume are the keys to finding the silver coins and overcoming the skunks." In those 5 tons or more of Halves searched, my longest skunk streak was 17 boxes. Certainly a downer but I powered through it and continue to find Silver.

One interesting thing is that a long time member of this board strongly suggested I count the coins I dump, and I tried to argue with him about how it wouldn't be worth it and another experienced member informed me that rolls can be short quite often. Turns out I see quite my share of 19 coin bank sealed rolls, but I also see some 21 coin rolls. The worst I ever saw was a $20 short by not knowing that a sealed box of Halves only had 48 rolls. As annoying as it is, I just write stuff like that off as the cost of doing business.

Upvote 0
I look back at my first CRH adventure 2 weeks ago and I have fold memories. My very first roll at a silver coin! I've found six silvers and two gold plated in the $1500 I've pawed through... Happy hunting!

I was in college, making crap money... remember thinking $500 was a lot of cash to drop on a box. Constantly struggled to keep my head afloat. Got into lots of CC debt by not going under $500 so I could get boxes of halves, I was addicted. I eventually just ran out of cash and had to stop for a bit. Graduated college, got a good job, and now I'm rolling through 30-50 boxes a week... I never want to go back to how things were back then. Being constantly broke, living paycheck to paycheck and stressing about every last dollar SUCKS.

I remember gas was not even a dollar a gallon, Jimmy Carter was president, and I had no room in the car for all of my 8-track tapes.
We threw 40%'ers back into the wild.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back