how hard will it be getting permission on a mtry base, if im a civilian?

will i get permission to hunt???

• heck no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • get off our base

• its off limits

• show us what you find

• sure go ahead

• Total voters

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
chong2 said:
i have been eyeing some property for some time now, its all abandoned, just rotting and falling apart, cool but bad thing is its fenced off. cool part, not many people wpould have had access, bad part, its still a active base. i tried once but the guards told me to go to a mp, the mp said i needed to go to housing authority. so lets see what happens
:clock:
Don't think it'll happen, sorry to report. I hunted Reese Air Force base in Lubbock, Texas for years, but only the housing area, which was technically off-base and had been returned to the ownership of the city. They were in the process of demolishing and moving all of the old houses and the place was wide open. I actually had some pretty good contacts on the base itself, which had been turned into a business center, but when I asked about hunting within the gated base, you'd have thought I had grown a third eye. He said that I wasn't the first person to ask, but anyone posessing a metal detector on base, and I quote, "made the Air Force very nervous."

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
yeah, thats what i figured. what part of NM are you from? i used to live right next to holloman afb.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I'm in Clovis, right on the Texas border. We have Cannon AFB here, but it's very much active and the housing is on base, so that's out. Do you know who you have to ask about getting permission?

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
the area i want to go is half active housing, the other half, seriously falling apart.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
They have gobs of military folks who use metal detectors on bases/post. You would need to know someone who works on base/post to get access, like me or a military member. Most of the active housing areas are off limits, but the play grounds and parking lots are fair game as are unfenced areas that are not dangerous. I stick to hunting in early mornings hours, evenings and weekends. That’s because they have too many busybodies on base/post. You normally only find good stuff in the abandon housing areas because other places I mentioned on base/post are hit hard.

al-nm

May 8, 2008
new mexico
Detector(s) used
6000xlpro
depends on commanding officer of each base but mostly the answer is NO anymore due to terrorists etc etc. military personnel dont have the same problems detecting since they are clear. but good luck trying cant hurt to ask.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Is it an "open base" or a "closed base"? Some bases became closed bases after 9/11 hit. Others are still "open". Ie.: anyone can drive right out there, no prohibitions to physically be there, that is.

My experience with the bases in my area, is that we have no trouble at the open bases. Like, Camp Roberts, Ft. Ord, etc.... I'm sure though, that if I was to go high enough up the chain of command, and ask enough people, I/we might find someone to tell us "no" ??? But since we've never been bothered, we never understood the need to start asking now. Ie.: if they've been detected since the 1970s (back in the innocent days when it never occured to anyone that you couldn't detect on public land). And if they continue to be detected by us same guys, and if we've never been bothered for those 30 yrs, it seems odd to think we need to ask now. Weird. Kind of like picking your nose: If you ask enough people, someone will tell you you can't do it?

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I would suggest asking the Base Commander for permission. I was unable to find anything that said searching military bases was not permitted, but in order to hunt an active base, you must be able to gain access and you better have permission if you are stopped by the military police.

Hope you can get permission.

Ray S

TheYAK

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia Beach Virginia
Detector(s) used
M6 & Prizm III
The problem with hunting military sites (at least down here) is unexploded bombs etc still in the ground from WWII testing/targeting. Would really ruin your day to dig one of these up. ;D

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
On Army and Air Force bases, I think you would run it though the Provost Marshal office. Address it to the title and not a name (Provost Marshal), this would allow it to go to the office even if the current PM transfers, otherwise it follows the name to the new base. The PM has operational control of the base and the MP's, He is also the head game warden on base, etc. But like said before it is best to have some one on base sign you in. Best of luck in your quest and it will be a quest in the day of post 911. La Beep(USN PC1 Ret)

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
well, i havent gotten to it yet, but i have a good feeling about it. there prob is not any unexploded stuff, being the area is old housing. the unexploded stuff is across the street, a whole mountain range, i go walking out there just not with a MD'er, i have heard of countless stories of kids back in the days, being blown up by these munitions over here. one guy a met, showed me some hughe shell he, made inert, these things ranged from saddle mount rounds to heavy 30-50 pound shells. crazy, but of course ill post if i can get in this place or not. whishem me luck :wave:

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Here in Virginia Beach, I went to the Base Security Officer. I have been given permission to detect both Little Creek and Norfolk. I am also retired Navy and I know where I can and can not, due to restricted areas and because I was stationed at both bases for much of my Naval career. However, I still need to get permission from Oceana (here in Va Bch)...have not approached them yet...but will. I was stationed there too! LOL ... as for Naval bases, stay away from the ships, even cameras are not authorized (well, they are not suppose to be there....but we all know about HOMECOMINGS!)

Also, check for areas on the base or around it, where military personnel go on liberty. Like at Little Creek, we have a beach on base, so that is a cool spot to hunt and we also have a lake. Unfortnately for Lake Bradford, you can only get in when someone plans some kind of function, otherwise it's close since 9/11 and they WILL NOT open it so you can detect. Then if you can get in....you hope the folks that rented the place for the day has no problems of you detecting around them. I have not tried that yet, but will have to check with Special Services (MWR) and see if anyone has that place rented this year. Maybe I can contact the command that is using it and see if they have any problems of me being there...I'll bring my own food and drinks LOL

I want to check out Camp Pendleton here in Va Beach also. That base has ALOT of history and has been named several times over. Infact, I believe it's the governor that has a beach house on base, or use too...not sure anymore.

Fort Story is by far...OFF LIMITS! I have already contacted them. They said due to the base's history and the ammo still buried beneath the ground, they are afraid of something exploding! And they don't want you on the other end! When I spoke with them, AVP (the Va Archie's) where there doing digs at the old lighthouse. The lady I spoke with in Security said they were having lots of problems, due to the ammo they were finding. So, it was even dangerous for them. I don't know if they ever finished what they started. I even asked if I could detect both the military beach (which is on the bay side) and the civilian beach (ocean side) and was told no...AMMO again being the reason. I love going to Ft Story military beach....the bay is so calm compared to the ocean and they also have a small place there to get drinks and food and restrooms, whereas ... last time we went to the civilian beach...all it was ... was beach!!!

By the way, Camp Pendleton beach connects to Croatan Beach and on the other side is Dam Neck....another base I want to see about detecting. It's mostly used as a training command. Lots of my shipmates went there for schooling and we have held our ship's reunion there.

I do want to see if they will let me detect at the base here where the Jamestown Expo was done. Some of the buildings from the Expo are still standing today and in use! I would love to find some artifacts from that period (1906/07). I also will give all artifacts from the Jamestown Expo and older artifacts to the base for display....but it has to be displayed at the base. Well, that's another issue I would have to deal with.

Good Luck to you. I hope that you will be given permission. And yes, alot does depend who's on duty, incharge. It does help to know someone on base too (not required...but helpful). When I spoke to the Security Officer, he said there was NOTHING in writing saying you COULD NOT that he was aware of and if anyone gave me any problems, I was directed for them to contact him. I hope to hit the base again in the next week or two.

Let us know how it goes,
Annmarie

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several suggestions made here that make some sense. Here are some of my personal experiences during 22 years in the USAF; retired in 1988.
While stationed a Barksdale AFB, Louisiana, I used metal detectors on base with no problems. As long as there were no signs of damage to the grounds. I found 2 Standing Liberty quarters, within 2 feet of each other and just under the surface of the soil; in the front lawn area of the Base Personnel and Finance Building. My research showed that the large building was originally built as a large dormitory for enlisted men.
I've also detected on Eielson AFB, Alaska; Vandenberg AFB, California; and Tinker AFB, Oklahoma. All Air Force bases have what was called MWR (Moral, Welfare, & Recreation) facility where a military member or a family member could rent (at very low costs) sports, camping, hunting, etc. equipment and get access to on-base recreation facilities such as campgrounds. At lease 2 of the bases' MWRs had metal detectors that could be rented for about $2 a day. The ones I saw were Garrett's.

Now, I know that in today's terrorist climate, a lot of rules have changed, but I would not automatically assume the worst. The first thing is to have some form of photo ID. Yes, driver's licenses should be OK, but it wouldn't hurt to have a second picture ID. I have 2 others. That's to get on the base. The second big thing to have is a reason to go on base. (if you are not a military retiree). Legitimate reasons would be to visit friends in base housing, visit the base Public Affairs Office to ask for info about the base, or going to the base's Civilian Personnel Office to apply for a job. If you use one of these excuses--DO IT. Follow through with your reason to be there. Then, go to the Security Police / Law Enforcement building and ask at the front desk for guidance concerning MDing on base. Even if you can get on base to detect, there will definitely be areas OFF LIMITS to you. No one is allowed to detect in base housing except the military member doing it in his / her OWN YARD or other yards with the occupants' permission. Just like off base.

One or two people suggested talking to the Base Commander about this. I would say DON'T DO THAT. Most Base Commanders have the attitude that that question is too low on the priority list to fool with. If you want to try the "political" approach, talk to the Base Commander's WIFE. She has the power when it comes to base beautification and reccreation activities. The Officers Wives Club is her power base. If the base is the home base of a Wing, a numbered AF, a Division, a numbered Army, etc. then THAT commander's wife runs the base. Been there, seen it, done it. ;D

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
shortstack, thats all good advice, but i dunno about a regular guy off the streets going to talk with the commanders wife...... i would be pissed, lol

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
depends on how you go about getting that hair to grow;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread