how hard will it be getting permission on a mtry base, if im a civilian?

will i get permission to hunt???

• heck no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • get off our base

• its off limits

• show us what you find

• sure go ahead

• Total voters

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer CTX 3030
I'll throw in my thoughts here. I am retired Air Force and now work as a civilian on Edwards AFB. Over the past few months I've been detecting on the vacated housing areas that are being ready for demo. The houses date to 1953 and I've only pulled out tons of clad, but a friend of mine did pull a Rosie. I also detected one of the parks that is in the vacated housing area and did much better with a silver Washington and Rosie.

There has been a lot of talk on base about Cultural Resources and how they are very sensitive to building on base. I decided to go ahead and ask the office if there are any sensitive areas that I should avoid detecting on base. Long story short, but they came back and quoted me the Air Force regulation that states "any metal detecting on Air Force installations is forbidden". There is hope in that the next sentence states that bases can develop local regulations to cover metal detecting. I'm currently working a way to get such a regulation written so that myself and others can continue to detect the base.

In your situation, it will be very tough to get on base if you don't have anyone to sponsor you in. Any outsider with a metal detector wanting to get on base to detect would be seen as suspicious and not worth their time to investigate. I say that if you have someone to get you on base and the area does not look historically significant, go ahead and detect. Just be careful though as unlike the civilian laws where you can play dumb and say "well, there was no sign saying I can't detect"; in the military you are EXPECTED to know the rules and regulations even if they are not posted on signs.

Good luck :thumbsup:

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
ok, well somewhat good news....... my new neighbor i met a few weeks ago, we have been having a few beers here and there, so i asked him who i should ask, he said he didnt know. a few nights later, he says hey man, i can get you on and detect with you, and he said should be no problem, so we'll see these next few days, we just gotta catch the same days off, and i got a extra detector for him too, yeah!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread