How has the AT Pro performed in salt and freshwater?

goldluvr

Jul 29, 2014
My at pro works great in the salt water here in miami just back off on the sensitivity 1 or 2 bars no chatter as people call it, just as good as dry sand.

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use mine in freshwater (don't live by any oceans) an it works great. I can often run on max sensitivity in my river.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT PRO sucks in salt water, I live in Naples Fl. A T PRO losses 50 to 60 per sent of it's depth in salt water. some dealers won't sell the A T PRO in Fla. because of this. Owe by the way I own an A T PRO. And it's for sell $400. It's good for land and fresh water but ,keep it out of salt water.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I live in wilmington nc. I see tons of guys on the beach with the AT pro, but its only dry sand. I have yet to see one on the wetsand near the water. It could work but given the number of dry sand at pro hunters I have seen I doubt it. I saw the same thing in NJ when I was there this summer. I do not own the device though and have never tried it. This is just what I have noticed when I am out detecting. I think it can work on some low mineralized salt beaches from what I have read on here but if you want a saltwater machine do not get the at pro.

OP
OP
ATProAdam

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT PRO sucks in salt water, I live in Naples Fl. A T PRO losses 50 to 60 per sent of it's depth in salt water. some dealers won't sell the A T PRO in Fla. because of this. Owe by the way I own an A T PRO. And it's for sell $400. It's good for land and fresh water but ,keep it out of salt water.
Man they sell for $600 down here and online. $400 seems like a good deal. I see a lot of other responses with people satisfied with the salt water searches because of the manual ground balance. But thanks so much for your info.

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Mine works fine in the salt water here in Miami

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here on the Atlantic Coast, not bad on dry sand but falses like crazy as soon as you hit the damp/wet salt sand. Great for freshwater lakes/beaches here.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Adam ultimately it depends on the mineral content where are you are detecting.
For the most part mine works flawlessly here on the Treasure Coast the east coast of Florida... But it can change within just a few feet and then change again.
Black sand or other areas that have a lot of rotted plant matter give it fits... But even then if you know real well how to deal with that you can do good I know I have.
I've found a ton of good stuff in wet salt water sand with mine.
One thing I've noticed is a lot of people assuming that the machine is malfunctioning is only because they arent doing something correctly.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small Old silver found by me in wet salt water sand with an AT pro.. On Florida's east coast

ForumRunner_20140825_122502.png

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro works fine in the salt on southern NJ. Just make sure your Ground Balance is right... and keep checking it.

And do not scrub the sand underwater while swinging... that can cause falses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ATProAdam

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good, thanks for the input. I want to go hit the NC coast this fall with my wife and do some detecting. I have an AT Pro now and she has my old Ace 250 which is still in new condition. I know the Ace can be used but it's harder, I seen a few vids on YouTube with so go people using the 250. Thanks a lot.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best of luck to you both and great job getting the wife into the hobby

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine works good on the Florida beaches ...wet sand and in the water.

L.I.Digga

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2013
The At pro was my first detector,I really liked mine until i started hitting the saltwater beaches.Long story short sold it and bought an Xcall...Great detector for dirt fishing and fresh water...In the salt it is so noisy that you gotta turn the sensitivity way down and well that defeats the whole purpose....

Sent from my LG-LS980 using TreasureNet

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Xcal is great for the beach.. Not really good for anything else but diving and the beach.
Like so many have stated before your post its not really the salt that makes a problem it's the minerals in the sand in your area.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine runs stable at 5or 6 bars sensitivity in the salt. In wet sand tests at the beach it was about two inches shallower than the CZ21, so that is still pretty deep...all beaches are different but mine has worked well on both Florida coasts at many different beaches. Not as good as an Excal or CZ21 but definitely usable.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That brings up a point.. Call me lazy or someone who just likes to work smarter rather than harder ...whatever... But depth isn't really something I want to be a big issue when I'm hunting a beach.
I go about it in what I think is a completely different way looking at a much bigger picture playing the entire coastline and Mother Nature in a game of.. "Which beach is best".. Most of my best finds are because of this and not very deep at all.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I use PI at the beach, but I have seen quite a few AT Pros, so they must work well.

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
On Cape Cod my experience has been that the AT Pro does not work in salt water or on the wet salt sand. It goes berserk unless the sensitivity is set so low that it is not effective. However, on the dry salt sand it is a totally different animal. It is superb. On dry land it is superb. In fresh water it is superb. On wet non salt sand it is superb. The wet salt is it's only weak point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread