How important is a depth reading on the detector?

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone

new to detecting and the forum but I got a LoneStar and no where in the manual or on the unit does it say any info about depth readings (I have to assume I got the cheaper model for a first time user)

but now reading thru this forum I realized so many have the depth readings on their units and I thought, hmmm...that must make this detecting biz easier?

Did I get a bad one for a first timer cause now I am becoming an addict and thinking of upgrading but if my detector is good (and it does find coins etc so far), maybe I should just use what I have and learn to understand signals etc. more before I buy a new one?

just rambling lol
thanks for any info back

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's very important,unless you like digging. :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Don't have the same detector But
I Don't have Depth Reading
&
I Don't miss depth Reading.

Learn your Detector

Dig your Signals

Learn your detector

Soon you will be able to Guestimate Depth by sound.

Did I Say "Learn Your Detector" ?

& Have Fun :coffee2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, not really very useful.....If you learn your detector you can learn to tell depth by the sound of your signal, you can also gain additional information by raising the coil till the sound disappears, deep targets will disappears quickly, shallow targets will sound off longer....

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes I have to learn more about my detector which means getting out there more and using it
so true--and thanks for the info about raising up the coil--I never thought of that one :icon_thumleft:

I think I will hold off getting another at this point and learn to use the one I have first....

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Personally, I don't think that depth reading is important at all. I am a relic hunter and I dig everything anyway. If you are really worried about how deep a target is, you can always raise your coil off of the ground until you lose the signal. If you can only get the coil off of the ground just a little bit, then the target is deep. If you can get the coil quite a ways off of the ground then your target will be shallow.

It is like Jeff of pa said "Learn your detector."

Doug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread