Get a propointer.Worth every penny~

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good pin pointers like the Garrett Pro Pointer usually pin point much deeper and are built to last much longer.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aside from using a screw driver or brass probe to touch the coin, the inline pointers by Sunray are the best. The inline pointers are actually one inch coils run off the detector's circuit so it has disc, and the depth of about 8". You don't walk off and forget them either.
http://www.sunraydetector.com/

Last edited:

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A good pointer like Garrets and Sunrays (I think Fisher and Minelab all have their own brands as well) can take the knocks out in the field. There are guys on you tube that,, make these pointers look like digging tools lol, but theses name brand units take those knocks and all the abuses yet, keep going regardless.
I was "gifted", one of those cheap Chinese ones that Kellyco give away with their detectors. Got just over 6months careful use out of it until my hunting buddy accidentally stood on it. Now I have a name brand propointer,, and really enjoy hunting with it .

Last edited:

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of those "Where do you hunt?" type things. I hunt both beach and inland. I brought my Garret pinpointer to the beach the first time after receiving it, and have left it home since. Hunting inland, I wouldn't be caught with out a good one.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like everyone else has said buy a decent one. They are invaluable. If you pay $20 don't expect much send me the $20 and i will put it to good use. Again spend the money for pro pointer or a comparable brand

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Depending on what you are looking for, they may be useless. I don't use one at all - I prospect for gold. None of the models available will help with sub gram gold. The Falcon MD-20 is sort of a pin pointer, It does work at finding gold (I have one), but you would never use it like you might use a pin pointer for general purpose metal detecting.

I have never used a general purpose pin pointer while detecting (since the mid 1980's). I don't know that you need it (but if it helps you find things faster, go for it).

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Sandman said:
Aside from using a screw driver or brass probe to touch the coin, the inline pointers by Sunray are the best. The inline pointers are actually one inch coils run off the detector's circuit so it has disc, and the depth of about 8". You don't walk off and forget them either.
http://www.sunraydetector.com/

Yep can't imagine being without the Sunray. You will not use the pro pointer or any other pointer much if you had the Sunray

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
How important is it to retrieve your target quickly? Wouldn't be without my SunRay,or my Lesche for that matter. God Bless Chris

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You can't lose it,you can forget to switch back to coil and go a spell before realising it,been there,had to start over,ah,it's good exercise anyway,don't let anyone tell you the cord gets in the way,once you use one you'll see for yourself how important they are. Pricey but worth it,HIGH QUALITY. You get what you pay for! God Bless Chris

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 474

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't lose it,you can forget to switch back to coil and go a spell before realising it,been there,had to start over,ah,it's good exercise anyway,don't let anyone tell you the cord gets in the way,once you use one you'll see for yourself how important they are. Pricey but worth it,HIGH QUALITY. You get what you pay for! God Bless Chris

I have had a Sunray PP for many years and the cord has gotten very stiff with age, which then becomes a bit of a nuisance. I switched to the Garrett Pinpointer a year or so ago and very satisfied with it.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had a Sunray PP for many years and the cord has gotten very stiff with age, which then becomes a bit of a nuisance. I switched to the Garrett Pinpointer a year or so ago and very satisfied with it.
Been using mine 11 months now,when time comes,I'll figure out how to change it.:laughing7:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
worldtalker said:
Been using mine 11 months now,when time comes,I'll figure out how to change it.:laughing7:

Man I don't know I have been using mine for around five years or more. Never had any problems.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The answer to your question is that the $120 one cost $100 more and they both pick up a dime at 1" in actual tests shown here on T Net in the technical section a while back. I have the HF "$16" one and have used it for over a year. Yea, I installed a better switch from RS and added a bright blue LED that lights on target. It is very easy to customize. On the other side of the line, $120, actually $160 list, They have been having circuit board problems. Because of it's shape it is just about impossible to customize. I must admit I don't use a pin pointer at the beach or cache hunting and only rarely otherwise because I use an XLT that puts the target dead center of the coil. By the way the MineLab pro looks like the G pro. Frank

Attachments

• rose on ice 700 this one.jpg
    rose on ice 700 this one.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 142

kookiman

Jun 27, 2012
east central florida
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bounty Hunter 2200 Elite, BH Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of those "Where do you hunt?" type things. I hunt both beach and inland. I brought my Garret pinpointer to the beach the first time after receiving it, and have left it home since. Hunting inland, I wouldn't be caught with out a good one.

I actually use my pro pointer at the beach (dry sand) by turning it off and then on when it starts chattering. It seems to really help and I do save some time finding targets. Wouldn't leave home without it no matter where I'm planning on going.

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have $120 for a GOOD one - get one.
If you only have $20 get a HF/Gen-Tech - get one. A cheap HF is better than nothing.

Pinpointers make life easier and are worth the investment.

OP
OP

24k dreams

Oct 28, 2012
jfeeney said:
If you have $120 for a GOOD one - get one.
If you only have $20 get a HF/Gen-Tech - get one. A cheap HF is better than nothing.

Pinpointers make life easier and are worth the investment.

Good point. I am brand new to this and have only gone out 2 days for a total of about 8 hours. The funny thing is, I don't even own my own metal detector yet! Lol.My friend has one and he has let me borrow his. I am planning on getting one, but I am still doing the research. I didn't have a pinpointer when i went out and I would definitely want to get one. So that is why I asked. Thank you everybody for the help.

Dec 2, 2012
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
ACE 350 , Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are blind like myself its critical!! haha I have the Garrett and it pretty damn good but it does freak out from time to time and sometimes just goes off by pressing it to hard, I know this because I've pressed it to my hand and it chirped and I'm pretty sure I dont have any metal in me.....Spend the money you'll be glad you did

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread