How important is a GOOD Pin Pointer?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never use one at beach, no need just something extra to carry, I always use one on land. I have the Detector pro Uniprobe, it is built into the headphone I use for land and detector plugs into it so both detector tone and probe tone go through same headphones...

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

MALO PERICULOSAM, LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETAM SERVITUTEM

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with those who said get the garret propointer. Alas, I have temporarily (I hope) lost mine and I am using the pinpointer that came with my Notka Golden King. I am currently using this after I use the pointpoint feature on my AT gold. the AT gold can get me into 2 inches of target. Lately I've coinshot frozen gravel parking lots and volleyball courts and I will NOT dig through that until I know I'm BAM top of the target which garret and Nokta pp's do. Also the Garret is somewhat waterproof if you tightly place your thumb over the speaker. $20 pp most likely will not.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't agree with getting the Garett ProPointer, it's cheaply made. You get what you pay for. I keep hearing that all they had to do was shrink wrap the internal wires, and put a grommet in the battery cap. It would have cost less than 50 cents.

It works great for a little while, then plan on going without one for two weeks while they send you another. Mine lasted less than 8 months of gentle use, no water contact at all.

Now mine falses so bad it sounds like I have a quarter touching the tip when I barely press the dirt; I have 2 quarters in the battery cap also.

It's worth the extra 35 bucks for the Minelab.

Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you haven't bought a metal detector yet, I would highly recommend the M6 Whites. I own one and it is a coin gobblin' son-of-a-gun!:icon_thumleft:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hereby announce the arrival of my Garrett Pro-Pointer...very very exciting.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been through two garrett pinpointers and the problem is they will send a new one but it will go to heck too. The one I have now will quit working until I whack it on a rock hard enough to you would think break but will work for a little bit more. I wish Sunray would make a probe for my t2. If you've never used one you don't know what your missing.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Have used Harbor Freight cheap $20 pinpointer for 3 years -- saves time, especially when detecting on embankments and other unstable or uneven terrain. We did have to replace the switch after a couple months but easily replaced for $5 purchase at electrical shop. Lightweight, simple, reliable except for possible need to replace switch. HAVE FUN! Andi

JMac48

Dec 17, 2013
I love my pro pointer. It has never messed up and has been dropped a few times. I don't know how I made it without one.

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
I stress the word "good" because I know the importance of a Pin Pointer. What is the difference between a $20 one vs a $120? other than the bulky hand grips on the cheap ones.

I bought a Harbor Freight for about $11-$13 after coupon if I can remember right, it does detect metal in the hole, but ya have to adjust the sensitivity quite often. Bulky and gets hung on holster a lot. Does have a light on it. Anyways, Not sure if it's the batteries, but recently it stopped sounding off even when I held a coin right to the tip of it :icon_scratch:

I then got a Detetctor Pro-Pistol Probe, which i was excited about, until I received it. It was quite bulky, made of hard plastic, made in China, new out of the box - put batteries in it and the sucker got hot and fried itself :icon_scratch: Never did get to try it out. I was looking forward to it as it is a pulse induction style and had good reviews.

Lastly, I got a Garrett-Pro Pointer and I must say "simply genius". Made in America, great construction, ergonomic design, love the vibrate/sound alert, led light, small scraper molded into the side, and fits into it's holster like that of a maglite. Awesome!!! :notworthy:

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In general all pin pointers do what their designed for. Durability is mostly the difference in price. The HF unit is not a pin pointer, its a nail finder. It was not design to be used outside poking around in the dirt. None the less it works fine, you just have to be more careful with it. I would recommend either a Garret, Whites or Minelab product. I've used all 3 and all are durable. If you can't put the money out for one those now I would get the HF unit till you can afford a true 'pin pointer'. As a personal preference, I don't like pointers that go too deep thats what my detector is for. An inch is all I want.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't agree with getting the Garett ProPointer, it's cheaply made. You get what you pay for. I keep hearing that all they had to do was shrink wrap the internal wires, and put a grommet in the battery cap. It would have cost less than 50 cents.

It works great for a little while, then plan on going without one for two weeks while they send you another. Mine lasted less than 8 months of gentle use, no water contact at all.

Now mine falses so bad it sounds like I have a quarter touching the tip when I barely press the dirt; I have 2 quarters in the battery cap also.

It's worth the extra 35 bucks for the Minelab.

Sounds like a cheap or weak battery to me.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine Garret is water proofed and has a para cord lanyard and clip on it so I do not loose it. I do use it under water and on land. Been using it for two years. Just keep fresh batteries in. The only thing that could make it better would be if it was in the form of a lesche. I got my $ worth.

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say in that price range to go for the garrett. It's not the deepest or the most versitile but it does a decent job. better than the others in that range.

For people making claims on the depth of the sunray probe in general you really can't, since it depends on the machine it's connected too. If you run a hotter machine you'll get better depth out of it. Remember it's just a 1 inch coil on a toggle switch with your main coil. I've had 2 and they preformed differently on each machine. What it lacks in overall depth it easily makes up for with it's other qualities i.e. It works with your detector's
Discrimination and tones, It's connected to your machine and it's built well and NO BATTERIES!!:hello2: Can't go wrong with one.

I have one and I personally think the best bang for the buck is the DetectorPro Uniprobe since you get a high quality pair of headphones, one of the deepest pinpointers out there and you can add a 8" or 10" coil and rod and have a decent little PI machine, from what I've heard. Not bad for $350 new.

I also have the Detectorpro Pistolprobe (bought it in 2008) and I like it alot. For me I like the fact that it's adjustable (frequency, threshold and various volume settings) and I don't have to push and poke the probe down into the dirt or plug to know where the target is. It probably gets twice the depth of the Propinter and it's alot quieter than the propointer. I hunt with a buddy of mine who has a propointer and you can hear that damn thing across a field. I like to keep a low profile when i hunt and don't want to be bothered by people and the Propointer just screams "Hey look at me, I found something!". To me it's like hunting without headphones.

That's just my preference and I know everyone's different.

HH
John

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions