How is this legal/allowed?

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
No...It's perfectly legal. The guy probably sent the coins that were in the set off to be graded. If he thinks he can make money selling the cases (which in many cases you can), then why not let him? Counterfeiters aren't too interested in faking a $25 proof set...

-Paul

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
This has nothing to do about counterfeiting. Some people lose boxes or their boxes become tattered or they have assembled a set individually and would like to store the coins in the original mint packaging. Lots of dealers get bulk discounts for slabbing and grading services. They will take the coins out of the packaging and send them in. They are just selling the packaging.

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IM guessing what you have here is an employee trying to sell blanks / rejects / over runs of the item from the printing plant
I'm in the biz of said products.
I'm pretty sure I'm dead on with this one
Brady

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
bradyboy said:
IM guessing what you have here is an employee trying to sell blanks / rejects / over runs of the item from the printing plant
I'm in the biz of said products.
I'm pretty sure I'm dead on with this one
Brady

No, no you're not. Diver and myself are correct on this one. The mint just doesn't "print" a ton of extra state/territory proof set holders and then throw them in the trash or give them to their employees. This guy either sent the coins that were in this holder in to be graded or took them out for an album or set.

-Paul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread