How long before it runs dry?

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone! Love watching this forum and all the great finds everyone makes here.

Now that we have a few years of tracking put together on the silver that is being found, I was wondering.....

How long before 'wild silver' just about runs dry? I mean.. I'm sure there was already a ton accounted for in years past by people haording silver and such.. and this would only be pure speculation. but at the rate that just YOU guys here find it... how much longer will wild silver be common in the field? A year? Two? 10?

What do you think?

Upvote 0

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on my extensive calculations I estimate 3.736 years (9/12/11 at 3:47pm), all of the "wild silver" will be gone. ;D

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just thinking about this recently. As long as we have cash as an option in society, there'll be silver IMO. I think a good 10-15 years is a good estimate before we see cash and coins (and thus, silver) start to disappear. I always remember that the US Mint is a big govt. agency, and big govt. agencies aren't dissolved with any frequency.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah, seriously though - I think there will always be silver in circulation as long as we still have coins being used as currency. Not as much as now, but someone will always reintroduce it back into circulation. Meaning people that cash in their parents collection - stuff like that. I highly doubt that 3/4 of the old coins that we are finding today have really been in circulation their whole life (barbers and old walkers and that large cent from last year) I feel that they were reintroduced when someone cashed in money they got from a relative.

XX

Jan 11, 2008
depends on your definition of "dried up".

Would you say that silver quarters in the wild are dried up? Many would say yes. Few would say no. The smart ones would say that the silver quarters are still out there, but you have to be very selective on your source of quarters to search through.

pepperpump

Feb 27, 2005
Manassas Park, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
TreasureFiend said:
Nah, seriously though - I think there will always be silver in circulation as long as we still have coins being used as currency. Not as much as now, but someone will always reintroduce it back into circulation. Meaning people that cash in their parents collection - stuff like that. I highly doubt that 3/4 of the old coins that we are finding today have really been in circulation their whole life (barbers and old walkers and that large cent from last year) I feel that they were reintroduced when someone cashed in money they got from a relative.
Talk about hitting the nail on the head on this one, as long as coins stay in use, silver will be there to find. Happy hunting!
Pepperpump ;D

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Silver is being removed but also is being put in. Just to give you an example many have found the modern silver s mint coins in rolls and such. People uncover large stashes being turned over to banks on occassion. And people who check the same banks over and over again still find rolls on occassion that have silver in them. Will it get harder to find silver I bet that it will no doubt. But there will most likely be some for a great many years to come.

-Golden Silver

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My two cents..........

I think it is being removed faster than it is coming in. I agree that stashes will be turned in for a few reasons/scenarios....as much as I hate to think about it, but Grandpa passing away and Grandma not knowing will cash it in. Young adults that inherit a small collection might just turn it in. Someone inheriting a larger collection might seek it's value.

Another scenario is when the economy is bad (like it is right now) and folks need cash or Christmas when extra dollars are needed. There are quite a few ways silver comes back into the system but I just don't think it comes in as fast as it is being pulled out.

About 18 months ago I spoke to an elderly gentleman in his late 60's who used to CRH when he was a teenager. His father was a bus driver and he would go through his change box everyday pulling silver dollars, old nickels and dimes. He also hit the banks like we do today. He acquired a very nice collection over the years. He told me that he was finally selling off his collection because he could not pass it on to his wife or children because they ZERO interest in coins. He also told me his wife told him that if something ever happened to him she was taking his collection straight to the bank....just no interest at all.

I felt sorry for this fellow because I could tell he loved his coins...that was his hobby. I bought a few minor things from him like a couple of rolls of uncirculated 1943 steel pennies and several rolls of 195? uncirculated Wheat's. It was a very interesting conversation with this old gentleman. I could have listened to his stories all day.

Anyway, I am rambling here......but I do feel it is going out faster than it is coming in. I say get em now while they are still out there. Jump in with both feet....ha!

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i think most is already gone. i wish i had started eariler. my box finds decrease for weeks at a time and then one dream box comes in. it is funny how so many boxes contain nothing and you get 1 box with 100 keepers or more.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will just slowly dwindle over time...like others have said...if there are coins in circulation....there will be silver in circulation.

The only exception to that rule might be if they completely change the size/weight of the coins such that all the current silver coins no longer go through coin machines easily, etc. I find this to be highly unlikely however.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread