odd finds yesterday

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i was making the rounds of a few banks yesterday when i entered a branch of the CU i have my accounts with....i ask for the usual...rolls of halfs or loose....the teller asks the other tellers and one says "no rolls but there's a bag back there ,i don,t know if its halfs or not" ;D....i asked how much for the bag and they say they don't know...so my teller calls for the vault keeper :evil4:....he comes out with a small canvas bag that says"please return to the Citizens and Southern National Bank Atlanta, Georgia $250.00 ;D....what he says next took me down a few notches..he said"i don't think these are halfs...i think they are Ikes" :icon_pale: he opens the bag and pulls out an Ike and shows it to me....it looks almost uncirculated and hate some beautiful golden toning to it....so in my head i'm thinking could this be a full bag of 1971d uncirculated Ikes? anyway he pulls them out and starts counting...the teller asks for my account #. i give it to her and she asks "George Blahblahbah?.....i say "yes" and the vault keeper says "George Blahblahbah?...i say yes again and he asks "do you have any relatives in S. Philly?...i said "yes, my father and grandfather"...turns out he worked in the branch down there and knew my grandfather for many years....if you ever met him you wouldn't forget him....and if you worked at the CU you sure knew him well...he went everyday....his money was his hobby....anyway he didn't know my grandfather had passed this past November at the age of 94...the vault keeper said he was going to call the S.Philly branch and tell them as they probably didn't know ....nice man...so after they counted them out there were $200.00 worth in there....don't ask me why but i bought them....i knew there were no other types of dollar coins in there...so here's why i took them....first of all i wanted that canvas bag :dontknow: second if they were all 1973d and were uncirculated i probably could pull a small profit by reselling them to a coin dealer....if they weren't then i would search for proofs and any i needed to fill out my collection of them...anyway it turns out that they weren't all 1971d...and the 1971d's were not mint but AU and some beautiful gold,blue and purple tones....very nice for clad coins....now i don't know what to do with them (the 1971d's)...should i just keep ten or so of the nicest for myself and out of the others just pick what i need for the collection and dump the rest?...or should i try selling some?...is there any profit on these? :icon_scratch:
anyway here is the break down

1971d-153
1971---2
1972---13
1972d--3
1974----3
1974d---2
1976----15
1977----3
1977d---5
1978-----1- :icon_scratch: are these low mintage or something...i don't recall getting one before?

anyway i have to get some of my money back i have a few banks i found i haven't been to before so most of the non 1971d's will be going back today...i'll hold onto the 1978 and all the 1971d's and try to get some picks posted this afternoon
and if thier not worth more than a dollar i probably will deposit them except for 10 or so nice ones so i'm not tying up my CRH money...HH
George

Upvote 0

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
I would take them to a coin dealer and see if they are interested. You never know.

I showed a dealer those USMint rolls of halves yesterday, and he paid me $19 for each 2006 roll. Still have 3 rolls, and already made $18 bucks. Did you ever get the ones you saw before?

OP
OP
mistergee

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Did you ever get the ones you saw before?
i don't remember what your refering to Anthony.....happens alot :tard:
oh well i'll see if i can get to the coin dealer and see what he says...maybe i can unload all those 1978d's
hopefully i'll get what you did....9 buck profit per 20 coins sounds great to me...
Thermownator...thanks for the condolences and the link....copied it to my favorites.....it figures....i dumped the 3-1977's and kept the 1978....oh well needed that one for the collection....i don't regret dumping though as i needed the money so i could hit some new banks i found....did ok too but i'll post that later on

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread