Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
At the rate I'm going, it will be 2013. Unfortunately, the world is scheduled to end in 2012. Just my luck.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought my first machine, a White's 5000D in 1979 for about $250. The first weekend I took it out I went to my uncle's house because he told me to hunt his back yard because there used to be a lot of old cars there. Well I found several Model A and Model T car parts. There were door handles, screw on hubs, radiator caps, hood ornaments and other items. I sold two of the items for $300 the very next weekend at a car swap meet. The next day after those finds I went to a field where an old saloon used to be that my dad told me about. I found a gold pocket watch and a lot of old silverware. No coins but a lot of other valuables. So I paid for my first machine the first weekend I took it out. I just got a White's DFX 300 and it will be paid off this year due to not being able to hunt as much as I used to.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have serval machines and I say yes it has payed for itself with the finds. I got out the white's surf master this last week and found another 8 rings 3 gold 3 silver and 2 junk with $1.60 inclad. So if you get out and used your machine yes it will pay for itself within the year. You can check out my finds in Today Finds under Super day at the berach, then my 2nd post under Another trip to the besach. Happy hunting and good luck......Matt

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Johnnysan - I believe he is talking about the Mylan calendar that is suppose to end around December 2012. You can google the stories on this topic.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
correction - that is the Mayan calendar

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry hadnt seen this asked before.

thanks to everyone who replied :icon_thumright:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tank69 said:
sorry hadnt seen this asked before.

thanks to everyone who replied :icon_thumright:

No problem--when I see the same question asked, I try to search the post down and give folks a link. I figure that a previous discussion may be of help to them too.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'll still reply to this post, Tank69. Money isn't the issue, because if I didn't have the money on hand, I wouldn't have bought my detector. I didn't take out a loan at the bank, so I don't have to make payments. If everybody here thinks about it, if you do this for a hobby, my machine paid for itself the very first time I got a hit and dug that hit out. Pull tab, clad, silver, it don't matter. Every time I get a hit and dig it and find something that was buried and no one knew was there, that rascal pays for itself. I found a zinc cent today. I found an 1876 dime a couple of months ago. Then I found that pretty cool thing in Oklahoma that we won't elaborate on. Same thrill, each one, and 'PAID FOR!' each one. That's just the way I feel. I suppose if you were in this hobby to get rich you would feel differently, and possibly have some spread sheets with figures to predict when your detector will have 'paid for itself'.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
18 months on a 850 dollar investment

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess my question was aimed for paying it off with your clad finds .but thanks it gives me a better look at how others veiw it :icon_thumright: btw I paid mine off within the 2 months in my clad finds.

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
My Tesoro silver sabre was given to me. But cost $15 at a yard sale but,at any rate I have
found about $10 in clad in the short time I have been swingin it and 1 925 toe ring. ;D
So to answer the question- about two months.

vanoldschool

Dec 1, 2005
Port Orchard, Wa
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I average $1.50 clad a day, three times a week, that comes to $18.00 a month, I have had my dfx three months now $54.00 made so Mine should be paid off in 6 more years.. I need to get out more.......

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I'm not a clad coin hunter (at least, not on purpose), and i have $1700 wrapped up in 2 diff detectors....I don't sell my good finds, so it's gonna take a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time to pay for themselves! ffd

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I bought a Garrett Pro Pointer pinpointer two weeks ago. Paid one hundred and fifty dollars and tax for it. Found small nuggets worth about two hundred dollars, a couple of silver coins valued at about forty dollars, and a woman's ring valued about three hundred plus. The ring is being advertised as call and identify it.

Over five hundred dollars worth of stuff for a one hundred and fifty dollar investment. Am I selling any of it? NOOoooo, I don't think so.

I earned my military discharge and my college degree. I earned what I found with my detector. These items are not for sale. Just like my life, not for sale. It's hard to put a price on things, life, liberty, a somewhat delayed pursuit of happiness, friendship, love.

I bought a car to get around. How long did it take to pay for itself? That just does not sound right for me to ask or hear such a question.

What do the REST of you say?

When I ask such questions, I feel like I'm getting to personal. How much money do you earn or have in the bank? Hey lady, how old are you, how much do you weigh?

There are some questions that are...how should I put it...

I'm sorry... I feel like I'm grossing out this gross question.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread