How long to wait on seller?

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I won an auction the other day. I immediately sent the seller a note. He lives about 230 miles from me, and the auction amount was very small. The shipping was 10 x the winning bid. I let him know I could wait a couple of weeks if he was heading my way, so he could save himself the shipping charge ( I would pay the shipping regardless). That way, he could make some extra money. Four days later....no reply, no contact. I paid thru PayPal yesterday. So, how long do I wait for this guy to contact me?
Jim

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you waited long enough. Unless the guy is in the hospital or something, he should have contacted you.

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
I have been having problems myself health wise,so that does happen and not many people have plans for a family member or who ever to be able to step in and help.It is some thing every body should have some kind of plan for.The more you relie on the money the bigger the problem.It is very hard to intrust some one else with some thing we all seem to really enjoy.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
The one time I had trouble receiving the item I won and getting a response from the seller, for about 14 days after the auction as I remember. It turns out..............or at least he said, he was in the National Guard and had duty. He didn't realize that the auction wouldn't end til after he had reported for duty until it was too late. It was for several ounces of silver, back in the day a couple of yrs ago that silver was moving up a buck or even two in a single day. He apologized all over himself for not sending the package for nearly two weeks or being able to respond. When I got the package he had added a couple of extra one ounce bars to the lot in appreciation for me not opening a dispute. In the mean time, silver had gone up something like 7 dollars an ounce as I remember it and my daughter got quite a nice bit of free silver in little hoard.

T.

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, I'm not going to open a dispute for at least a week. Still yanks my chain. I'm afraid the item went so cheap, he just decided not to honor the deal. I guess I should check his feedback, and see how he is. Thanks for the replies, guys.
Jim

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
What's his stated handling time. Mine used to be 5 days. It makes a difference. Of course, not contacting is kind of odd.

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What's his stated handling time. Mine used to be 5 days. It makes a difference. Of course, not contacting is kind of odd.
That's my beef...no contact....NOTHING. That ties my hands in getting another of the same item. I can't plan if I don't know what he's doing. Bad seller. What I don't get is he has good feedback...though he's only been a member since last August. The feedback is why I'm giving him a little room before filing a complaint.
Jim

Last edited:

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats the worst, I once bought 6 or 7 $1 items from a guy on ebay, and each one had $5 shipping. I messaged the seller after I won about combined shipping, no response. Messaged every other day for a week, no response. Then, after a week, the guy opens 7 cases on me, or perhaps his account was set to automatically open them, either way I was not happy. I didn't want to pay $35 shipping on stuff that would actually cost about $5 total, so I didn't pay, and got 7 unpaid item strikes on my account. Ebay thankfully removed them, but it still made me upset. What kind of seller does that?

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's why I went ahead and paid. I didn't want any jiggerpokey going on. You just never know what people will try and pull.
Jim

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any of you guys know if there's a way, on PayPal, to find out if the money has been claimed?
Jim

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I'm confused I guess. How is him delivering it to you going to save him anything if you paid the shipping charge ? Why should he want to do that ? I'm also confused as to why your pissed off if you just paid yesterday. Not everyone is sitting at their computer 24/7 and he may have other things going on. His obligation to get your stuff to you began yesterday when you made the payment, not 4 days ago when you sent him a message. I just think you may be expecting too much too soon. It's great that most people are very prompt about shipping and responding to messages but we tend to get in the habit of expecting that and it dosn't always happen that way. Where is the guy located ? There's been some really bad weather hitting some areas as well.

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
He lives in Salt Lake City, UT...about 4 hours from me. If he happened to be heading in this direction, he could drop the item off ( I live near an interstate offramp). That would save him the shipping costs, which are 10X what he got for the item. I thought I'd message him letting him know I could wait a couple of weeks if he wanted to do that. I thought I was being courteous and thoughtful. I live between him and a lot of vacation country, and people from that area go through here quite a bit.
I also think, if you're selling a lot of items, you should check your messages every couple of days. It has now been going on 7 days since the auction ended. IMHO, that's a bit much.
Jim

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread