OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well eBay and PayPal fees are about 13%. I spent about $120 a week. But then there's packing supplies and everything into it. About half! Probably more than that I really don't keep track that well. All I know is all the bills are paid!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judging by the two bags I just dragged to the post office today.... Too many! :)

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Judging by the two bags I just dragged to the post office today.... Too many! :)
.... Now that's the truth.. :icon_thumright:..................................My self i never tell what i find or how much i sell or how much i get for it.......That is for only me to know .............

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.... Now that's the truth.. :icon_thumright:..................................My self i never tell what i find or how much i sell or how much i get for it.......That is for only me to know .............
You sound like an only child, lol.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't sold in a long time. Just buy more stuff I don't really need.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
I wasn't really looking for anybody's trade secrets. I was just wondering what kind if profit margin he was at. Going by purchase price to selling price I stay at about a 10-1 ratio. I spend 10 so I need close to 100 for it. On higher value items I generally don't have that high of a margin but more cash profit.

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On average haw many items do you sell a month and average total. Mainly going for eBay. But others too, Craig's list and flea markets or where ever. This month I've sold 160 items for $ 5700. And I was really sick for 12 days and didn't list anything. Normally 110 for $4000/ month seems to be average.

Is this the first year you are doing that many sales on eBay? If it is, are you aware of the fact that eBay must, by law, report to the IRS any seller, no matter what your status as a seller is, if you complete over 200 sales, within any given year, or if the amount of your total sales, for any give year, is over $20,000
Many sellers have been burnt by that and end up owing back taxes and penalties.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No this is like my sixth year doing eBay. I am aware. I have a CPA already lined up it's going to be fun. I do this full-time though I don't have another job to go to just this. Unless staying at home with my daughter counts as a job because she's two and I don't get a whole lot done with her here!

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No this is like my sixth year doing eBay. I am aware. I have a CPA already lined up it's going to be fun. I do this full-time though I don't have another job to go to just this. Unless staying at home with my daughter counts as a job because she's two and I don't get a whole lot done with her here!

Good for you! It sounds like your well set up and established, especially do it full time. I have been a seller for about 12/13 years. I only do it as a hobby, part time, so to speak. Before that law came into effect, I'm not sure 4 maybe 5 years ago, I didn't care how much I sold but since then, I do control myself and stay under the 200 sales and/or $20,000 in sales for any given year. Man, I can imagine the hassle working eBay full time and raising kids. I am an old fart at age 72. I started when I was 56 maybe 57, I don't recall exactly.

Good luck with your future sales brother!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you! It sounds like your well set up and established, especially do it full time. I have been a seller for about 12/13 years. I only do it as a hobby, part time, so to speak. Before that law came into effect, I'm not sure 4 maybe 5 years ago, I didn't care how much I sold but since then, I do control myself and stay under the 200 sales and/or $20,000 in sales for any given year. Man, I can imagine the hassle working eBay full time and raising kids. I am an old fart at age 72. I started when I was 56 maybe 57, I don't recall exactly.

Good luck with your future sales brother!
It's not 200 transactions and/or 20k in sales. It's more than 200 and more than 20k in sales, no "or" involved. Though technically all profits are supposed to be reported.

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
you can get packing supplies from local stores...free....foam peanuts, bubble wrap and small boxes....thatll help your profit margin...and then there is bulk rate shipping...the buyer is aware that shipping is a part of the auction....I never charge a handling fee....a good place to query about the packing supplies are dollar stores....my credo..buy cheap sell high...

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots & lots & lots of items...So many its like a full time job, wait a minute I like you am a full timer & $10K months are not uncommon at all for me & my partner. They go even higher tho now that we have help with the selling end. I'm not going to start talk profit margins here because what I get & the prices I get it at are almost unmatchable anywhere else at least on the quantity & quality end. My research time is down right ridiculous tho as I spend countless hours identifying things & their approximate value.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until I get off probation with ebay only ten on there. But I sell on other places also. As far as online generated sales, CL, FB, ebay. About 40 a month for average profit $60 a sale. But I buy dirt dirt cheap, but when you count in research time and gas, countless hours watching auctions and sites and garage sales for deals, a job is easier. But everyday I wake up I get the satisfaction of working for myself and that thrill when I find a $1 item I can get $100 back on.

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not 200 transactions and/or 20k in sales. It's more than 200 and more than 20k in sales, no "or" involved. Though technically all profits are supposed to be reported.

I'm glad someone else mentioned this.

The 200/$20k rule is something to look out for. However, you are still required by law to report ALL income, even if it is below the paypal threshold.

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My friend, you are not correct! It is either over 200 sales or over $20,000 in sales. Under either condition, eBay must report you to the IRS.

Read the following from eBay:

"Starting in 2011 Ebay now it reports it sellers and many will get a rude awaking at tax time in 2012

if you sell over 200 things a year or make more then $20k

if you sell over 200 separate items you will be reported

if you sell over $20k you will be reported

if you sell just ten items that combined are worth over $20k you will be reported

if you sell 201 items for $250 dollars you will be reported

sell less then 16 items a month and your fine, sell less then $20k and your fine

sell over $21k and you will have to file with the IRS as ebay will already have turned that info over to them at the first of the year"

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all it's not ebay to begin with, it's paypal. And it clearly states-

PayPal is required to report gross payments received for sellers who receive over $20,000 in gross payment volume AND over 200 separate payments in a calendar year. Under the legislation, we'll report to the IRS the total payment volume received by US account holders whose payments exceed both of these levels in a calendar year:
  • US$20,000 in gross payment volume from sales of goods or services in a single year
  • 200 separate payments for goods or services in the same year
IRC Section 6050W applies to all payment processors, including PayPal. Our goal is to help PayPal sellers understand and comply with the new requirements.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=marketing_us/IRS6050W

It's best to go to the source versus some ebay gossip forum

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions