How many of you had a faulty pinpointer?

How many of you have had a faulty:

• Total voters

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I did but it was the operator.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider my pinpointer faulty if I don't touch the target when first inserting it in the ground.
Pinpointer.PNG

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My three work and always have: Merlin SXL, Fisher F-Point and Sunray FX-1

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
I've had 3 garrett pp's all of them broken I will never buy another garrett pp

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wore the button out on one Garrett but they replaced it...and i still like them better than the others.

Hey Sandman.....what kinda battery life does that thing get?

markkeele

Greenie
Sep 7, 2013
new salisbury
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster pro and whites dfx spectrum e
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had three Garrett pro pointers, I will never own another Garrett product, falsing bad switches, too much money for a piece of junk,

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't even vote.

I had the Fisher one which had no depth, but it always worked at having no depth.
I had a Northern Tools unit that the battery cover broke, but it worked well with the batteries held in by duct tape.
And the Xpointer has yet to not work or break after 8 months.

OP
OP
Detector Wars

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
I can't even vote.

I had the Fisher one which had no depth, but it always worked at having no depth.
I had a Northern Tools unit that the battery cover broke, but it worked well with the batteries held in by duct tape.
And the Xpointer has yet to not work or break after 8 months.

If it didn't do its job then it's "faulty", and that's being kind. Sounds like the Fisher (whichever it was) was dodgy, but the other two good.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many have but at this point it's like...

Attachments

• deadhorse.gif
    deadhorse.gif
    12.7 KB · Views: 204

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 2 bad propointers you think I would have learned but no. I bought an at Propointer and after a couple months it's broken, mad at myself more than anything.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Pinpointer.

almost two years in.

Still works perfectly.

Love it.

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 years with my $17 Cen-tech (Harbor Freight) and it's still working great. I did modify the push button when I first got it, knowing that this was a weak point with these cheap pin pointers.

Last edited:

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was given a Garrett ProPointer for Christmas a couple of years back and it didn't work right out of the box but received another to replace it....However, I had two Vibra-Probe 580s and they are very durable and waterproof to 100 feet. They did quit after many years of use...Just ordered a Makro Pinpointer that has the scraping blades which should protect it and hope it is just as good, but would never go back to Garrett...

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Kinda' like Sandman, I don't use a pinpointer, never have, never will, unless I'm looking for a nail in a wall hidden by too many coats of paint. After awhile we old goats learn our machines so well that a pinpointer to us is a lot like putting lipstick on a pig, or a bra on a bull, We simply don't need one because we can already center a coin sized or smaller target within a 3" circle anyway, save for some Minelab coils which won't narrow the target that well. In fact, I haven't even used a screwdriver or a soft plastic probe in the last 30 years for pinpointing. The first metal detector I ever built didn't need a probe or pinpointer either, and it was a BFO. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda' like Sandman, I don't use a pinpointer, never have, never will, unless I'm looking for a nail in a wall hidden by too many coats of paint. After awhile we old goats learn our machines so well that a pinpointer to us is a lot like putting lipstick on a pig, or a bra on a bull, we simply don't need one because we can already center a coin sized or smaller target within a 3" circle anyway. In fact, I haven't even used a screwdriver or a soft plastic probe in the last 30 years. The first metal detector I ever built didn't need a probe or pinpointer either, and it was a BFO. :icon_thumleft:

Larry there are too many different situations and types of detecting to just write off pinpointers. For example Sandman has wrote many time he won't try to dig a deep coin signal in his parks. If you are hunting shallow recent drops or using asand scoop no you don't need a pipointer. They sure make finding a deep coin in nice sod easy and cleaner to do. Being so many scenarios your statement is right for some styles but definitely not others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread