How many rings in your average park / sports field?

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
There is a small field near my house with a baseball diamond that sits behind a preschool. I believe at one point in the past starting around the mid 1950's the preschool was an elementary school. Not sure for how many years.

Anyways, the grassy field behind the school is not very big, with the baseball diamond taking up around 25% of the total area.

To date, my son and I have found at least 5 rings in this field - 3 sterling, and 2 gold. This got me to thinking about how many rings on average are in the typical grassy field in your local park that is used for sporting activities like soccer, etc. I am convinced that every field like this that has been in use for at least 20 years has to have at least one ring.

Any thoughts?

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Up-to-date 0 gold and X silver ;D

As Stefen suggests there really is no average. :thumbsup:

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
I wish I had a magic formula for knowing what is burried at a given site. It depends on the ammount of trafic and how much use it gets, and beyond that it's really just a matter of chance.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I had a magic formula for knowing what is burried at a given site. It depends on the ammount of trafic and how much use it gets, and beyond that it's really just a matter of chance.

DJ is right.....Depends on how often it was used with other variables thrown in. Old high school fields are better as class rings were more popular then.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Having started from the days of no discrimination, so there can be no debate on "missing" gold rings, I can tell you that the ring ratio in turf is low, compared to swimming areas, where ....... by definition, people are frolicking around, swimming in cooler waters which shrink skin, taking off their jewelry for "safe keeping", etc.... But to try to get averages/statistics on a single stretch of turf is impossible, as others state. Just to many variables like the use of the field, the demographics of the area, etc... Even individual types of sports played there (soccer vs baseball for instance) can have an impact of the type of targets founds. And as far as the recovery of such items you can't discount the odds factor of the current junky-ness. Ie.: there may be some blighted inner city urban turf with LOTS of by-gone era rings in them. But if there are 300 screw caps and tabs per each gold band to be found, what good is that?

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dug 8 silver rings from a soccer field complex(6 fields) and half as many junk rings

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread