How many times has this happened to you guys?

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was talking to my brother about this last night, who also is a detectorist. I am sure several of you guys have had this happen to you too, I know I have, way more than once. Let's say you get permission to hunt an area, next to a road or a fairly busy street. Your hunting right there in the wide open area where everyone can see you. Having a good time and all and then he or she stops.......starts walking over to you......asking do you have permission to be doing this....why are you here......do you know your trespassing..... Well you know sometimes this really gets under my skin and I have to really bite my tounge, especially when these people do not even know who the owner is, which gave me permission in the first danr place!!......I have found that alot of times these people do not even want to learn about what we are doing or could care less........They just feel it is their duty to try and ruin someones day or since they can't do it, then you should not either!!.......Please, give me a break, like I am going to be out in the wide open breaking the law!! Do not get me wrong guys, this doesn't happen to me all that often, but it has and I know it will happen again, and when it does it just gets under my skin!! Why don't they just mind their own business? How does this effect you guys? I have never shown my temper when it does happen, but I wanted to a few times!!

Upvote 0

phantomfinder

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2008
Denver , Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's DFX , Ace 150 , Prizm 2
If you have the ok to hunt there, then some one comes over to tell you . <You can't do that> ( i ask them 3 things )
1. Are you the owner.
2. Is this your land.
3. are you family to the poeple who own this land.
If i get all (no's) I say in a very low tone to go on there way. ;D
I don't have too let them know anything about me or what i am looking for , if i have the ok from the owner of the land i am hunting.
Poeple just want too tell you what they think ( YOU ) should be doing or what you should not be doing . ??? I am not all that nice too poeple like that , And all they have to do is mind there own #%$# .... I know there is a lot of you that would (NOT) do that, and thats fine too. BUT when some one takes your right to hunt there , away i get mad.... >:( Sorry i just wanted to vent a little.... :wink:

Mike_of_Tenn

Nov 19, 2008
White Bluff, TN
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-Terra 70
utah hunter said:
It's only happened to me once, may God have mercy on their soul....

LOL

Tim are we talking about the couple that stopped by yesterday? Anyways my opinion is if they don't own it then they are trespassing! And need to get on their little merry way....I'll post the pics here in a few, I had to watch the Titans take the AFC South! ;D

Mike

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first reply to these non land owners is, Why?

My second reply is, "Why don't you go ask the land owner if I have permission."

My next move is to continue hunting and ignore them.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mike........LOL...... kind of in a way, what happened yesturday got me to thinking about what Has happened in the past. No, yesterday the people didn't even ask why we were there.They were just checking in to see if we were squating like those others have been doing....That really did not bother me....It is those other times that got me to thinking about this........ I am really glad to know I am not the only one who feels this way!!!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Had one do that a few weeks ago. They wanted to know who gave me permission. I pulled out the cell and said "Do you want to call Ted or shall I?" They left pretty quickly. :wink:

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean Stoney, it is like these people are the "PERMISSION POLICE" .......You know, these are probably the same people who passed by me when I was broke down along the road and needing to make a phone call!!

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would just be careful,

I wouldn't want to lose permission to search a site if you made a family member angry with you.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
I've had this happen before also. One old guy gave me permission to hunt his turn of the century home, after about 10 minutes an older woman came up off the street and asked what I thought I was doing. I smiled and said, "Looking for whatever may be here!" "Do you have permission?" she asked, scowling and holding clenched fists at her side. "Yes, as a matter of fact the man who lives here told me to look all I want!", I said, by now the smile was gone. Well, she went straight into the house and, you guessed it! It was the old fella's wife!! Pretty soon all you know what broke loose inside, and feeling really awful for putting the man in this horrible position, I didn't want to knock on the door, (like they would have heard me anyway!), or leave without apologizing to the kind man. He came out then, and I told him how sorry I was to have caused the trouble, and he told me it was his boyhood home and to keep looking, he'd deal with wifey. I thanked him very much and told him I didn't want to upset her, so I would go ahead and leave. He told me to come back again, soon. Fast forward about 10 days: I was detecting a house known locally as the town mansion, which it for sure is, (large piece of land, which sits catty corner to the grumpy old lady's place), well, of all things, she spots me and hollers at me, asking the same old thing, and just what did I expect to find? I walked over and told her real politely, "Take a hike, sister, diggin' junk is better than wasting my time with you!" "I never!!" was all she said as she stomped away. The point: Some folks got nothing better to do than stick their nose in other people's business, regardless of where you may be they just want to hassle you. Great hunting and good luck!!! Regards, Richard.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I haven't got to use it yet but I can't wait to tell whomever pulls it on me that "My anger management therapist suggested I do this to relieve stress, and it ain't working"

Mike_of_Tenn

Nov 19, 2008
White Bluff, TN
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-Terra 70
savant365 said:
I haven't got to use it yet but I can't wait to tell whomever pulls it on me that "My anger management therapist suggested I do this to relieve stress, and it ain't working"

LOL!!!!! Oh man that was even funnier! ;D I am rolling!

Mike

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always want to say "I'm trying to find the body of the last person who bugged me while I was detecting. I forgot to check them for jewelry."
But of course I don't, even tho it would be hilarious..........

There are just too many unhappy people out there, hence the adage "Misery loves company". If they see you apparently enjoying yourself they want to ruin it for you.
I agree with Kas and PhantomFinder. I just say "I have permission from the owner to be here."
"Why do you think it's any of your business."
If they think there's a problem and they feel they know the owner well enough to accost you about being there, they need to be contacting THEM instead of you FIRST to make sure you aren't in the right. Even a family member needs to check with the person who has the authority to allow you access before taking it upon themselves to confront you.
I'm a firm believer in not allowing jerkholes to get by with acting like that.............

Skypilot, although you tried to do the honorable thing you gotta remember, that old lady is going to cause trouble for her hubby no matter what. That's probably why he told you to stay. He's accepted the circumstances he's living with. If you left she'd probably find something else to b!tch about, so............... :wink:
I don't blame you for removing yourself from that kind of atmosphere tho...... too bad her husband doesn't remove himself............

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cybercop106 said:
I always want to say "I'm trying to find the body of the last person who bugged me while I was detecting. I forgot to check them for jewelry."
But of course I don't, even tho it would be hilarious..........

There are just too many unhappy people out there, hence the adage "Misery loves company". If they see you apparently enjoying yourself they want to ruin it for you.
I agree with Kas and PhantomFinder. I just say "I have permission from the owner to be here."
"Why do you think it's any of your business."
If they think there's a problem and they feel they know the owner well enough to accost you about being there, they need to be contacting THEM instead of you FIRST to make sure you aren't in the right. Even a family member needs to check with the person who has the authority to allow you access before taking it upon themselves to confront you.
I'm a firm believer in not allowing jerkholes to get by with acting like that.............

Skypilot, although you tried to do the honorable thing you gotta remember, that old lady is going to cause trouble for her hubby no matter what. That's probably why he told you to stay. He's accepted the circumstances he's living with. If you left she'd probably find something else to b!tch about, so............... :wink:
I don't blame you for removing yourself from that kind of atmosphere tho...... too bad her husband doesn't remove himself............
I think I might use that line next time it happens to me!!! I sure am glad to see I am not the only "JERK MAGNET" out there!!!

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Mike, You're welcome! Being in TN. yourself, you must be familiar with the expression "bless her heart!" For you folks not from the South, that's an expression you use to keep from saying something vile to (or about) an older person! LOL!!! Cybercop106, Amen! You know, sometimes, (Now, I am not into 'generalizations", as a rule, however, the truth is the truth!), you can look at someone and tell they are just miserable with life, (themselves, really), and she was definitely one of those! I agree 100%, the poor old guy who married her is one long suffering soul!! I believe I'd have to remove her, life is too short for such junk!! Great hunting and good luck all! Regards, Richard.

mark.

Apr 13, 2006
..........I usually say "Sorry to bother you" &
move on in front of the next house & keep on hunting.

It ain't work arguing over.........see ya mark

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
NO

I have never hunted private property, only parks and beaches.
If I had the owner/controllers permission I would be confrontational back at the person.
"Let's call the owner and you can ask them".
And ask them "Are you legally allowed to be here?"

If the controller was a bank or something and not available and I did my homework I would tell them to quit harassing me or I will call the cops.

Grey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread