how much do you love this hobby of ours

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
It's just that .."a hobby"! Something i enjoy doing,like i enjoyed doing Stacy Kendall when i was younger..but "love"? Naw mate. :laughing9:

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
me? I love this hobby ;D. I wish i was old enough to drive so i could go all over the US and metal detect!. My goal is to metal detect in every state in america! Wish me luck. Also do you LOVE this hobby? ???

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
i live and breathe treasure...u will see at the end of my posts

a long list of the different aspects of this.

a typical day would be

wake up ...check t net...metal detect 4 or 5 hours.

a dumpster dive..check several thrift stores for treasures.

pick up or return coin rolls to bank.read treasure stories.

since im retired all i do is hunt treasures.

this could go on for days inturrupted by maybe say a

trip out of town for a weekend seeded organized hunt.

then its fooling with detectors. buy or trade one.

browse the treasure websites. do some gold panning

attend an auction.then maybe some rockhounding.

and then its time for the treasure club or bottle club meeting.

and like my avatar...around and around she goes.

all can be interrupted anytime i see curb goodies.

so apart from eat sleep sex. its treasures always.

what a wonderful practical cheap and sometimes

lucrative hobby....

and u just might hit a jackpot once in a while

SirJoey

Aug 9, 2010
Aboard a UFO, hovering over South Carolina...
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5 ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm psyched about it ALREADY, & my MD hasn't even arrived yet!
:blob5:

"The Lord is my shepherd"
sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live, breathe, eat & sleep this pursuit. Really. I'm now at the point where I'm deciding on jobs around my metal detecting adventures. Not good :stop: Even when I'm working, I cannot stop thinking about my next hunt. So, I guess one can easily say I am addicted.

As with all other addicts though, the "fix" doesn't just come from the hunt itself. Rather, it also comes from the preparation of the hunt. The rituals if you will (gathering supplies, researching the spot, rounding up all my hunting buddies, etc.).

Sometimes I wish I never picked up a metal detector. Yes. I am THAT far gone with this stuff. I've always been an adventurer who likes to take risks. And I LOVE the thrill of discovery. However, when you add these two elements to my addictive personality, well, you get the point.

And no, I do not have visions of grandeur on my mind either. I fully realize that finding a cache of gold coins or a hoard of ancient jewels is akin to winning the lottery. However, just cannot shake the thrill of the hunt. Digging up something that someone hasn't seen or touched in 100 years is a VERY sacrificial act for me.

The only other things in my life that even came CLOSE to the experience of metal detecting were performing and gambling. I gave up performing years ago, and gambling...well, it was either keep doing it or wind up a destitute hobo. So, by comparison, metal detecting has given me a new purpose.

I know it might sound strange, but, this hobby makes me feel alive. The outdoors, the friends, the competitiveness, the finds. Does that answer your question? :tongue3:

P.S. - Almost forgot to add. "Regular folks" think we're nuts. I know several of MY friends and family certainly do. However, most of these negative nay-sayers have about zero adventure in their daily lives. Sure, they might giggle when we show them a pocketful of bottlecaps after an all day hunt and wonder about our sanity. However, the last laugh is on THEM. We truly are trailblazers. Detectives of the past. While we are out in the fresh air touching the dirt that our ancestors walked over hundreds of years ago, they're probably plopped on the couch viewing a history channel documentary, slurping down a beer and watching their bellies grow :laughing7:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked this hobby when I first started. Made a few finds. Then last year was a turning point in my life. I lost my Father in June. That was a hard thing for me to get over, and I'm still not over it. But thank god for this hobby. Losing him made me realize if you enjoy doing something then life is short and you need to do it. So for the last year I have immersed myself in this hobby of ours. It is something I truly love, an addiction if you will. And a great way for me to cope with the loss of a loved one. I shutter to think where or who I would be without this hobby.

Coil to Soil

Mar 30, 2010
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Dano Sverige said:
It's just that .."a hobby"! Something i enjoy doing,like i enjoyed doing Stacy Kendall when i was younger..but "love"? Naw mate. :laughing9:

You knew Stacy too? :laughing9: jk, HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions