How much do you take?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if anyone will actually answer this or not. LOL! But when you go out for the day how much $ do you take with you? Normally at most I take $140. Never more, never less only $140.

Tomorrow I'm on a mission. I have cards to take out and I'm taking my eight-year-old daughter. And hoping for something good. Gonna rock $1290.00. And if nothing else I will stop and deposit it in the checking account on the way home. So here goes to finding nothing because I am going to be over excited about having extra cash on me for once!

But I also got cards made too so we are going to pass those out as well. And just in case somebody comes up with.... so I have this.... Hoping! Lol. Good luck tomorrow!!

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For yardsales... $20-40. Most times I can pay with quarters...

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
same here 20 to 40 unless it's a city wide garage sale or estate sale then no more than 100

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, I try to bring at least $500. I prefer to bring $1000. You never know when you make a massive find. I once bought 75 boxes of toner for $750. I sold $3500 in a week.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I try to bring at least $500. I prefer to bring $1000. You never know when you make a massive find. I once bought 75 boxes of toner for $750. I sold $3500 in a week.

I've had some really good returns from toner. I've never found any at yard sales though, only thrift stores.

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had some really good returns from toner. I've never found any at yard sales though, only thrift stores.
Got some free at work once....they were jar going to throw the stuff away. The AA is a good friend of mine - she says here, it's better that u make a little cash off of it than have it end up in the dump. That's also how I get most of my bubble mailers. Hey they might b bright purple metallic or silver, but who cares!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other

If you see them selling a laser printer, ask about toner. They often remember the toner and go and get it. My buy was at a business closing. They were a construction company. They used a lot. Just remember, off brand toner is worthless.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have on me right now over$1300.00... I always carry a minimum of $1000.00 in cash on me in case someone has something to sell at a great price... Not kidding...

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I roll with $1500, I have needed it on a few occasions too. I generally don't need it all on one purchase, but sometimes I hit great sale after great sale and it adds up. I almost learned this leason the hard way, I was $50 short on a speaker sale and I had to call my buddy who was luckily in the area and he came with $50. The guy had a wall of high end stereo equipment, Rotel. I left some money there but the speakers were the big money. I sold the set of speakers on craigslist two days later for $800. Like a gun, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
usually $100-150 and if something big comes along, i'll leave a deposit, run home and get some more cash

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always bring $100 with me. All of my best buys have been under $50 and usually less than $10. For me personally, I only bring $100 so I don't get caught up in the moment with an impulse buy. I feel that it limits my risk so that the worst case scenario is that I lose $100 (which hasn't happened yet).

Some of my best buys: 1oz 14kt bracelet $5, complete Bose system $10, 16 signed and numbered lithographs $38, Louis Vutton suitcase $10, bunch of fine jewelry $10, 2lbs of silver flatware $30, and these are just some off the top of my head.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd prefer not to say how much I bring with me. Lets just say i'm prepared for any situation that may arise, including a catastrophic event, lol.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually bring $40.00-60.00 with me, but I always have at least one hundred dollar bill that's folded up stashed away from my regular money. Good luck!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well today was horrible. 1 silver coin, two silver rings, a bunch of Boyd's bears for $5. That was it, covered south Fort Myers and part of Bonita Springs.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
McGregor Blvd had about a dozen, but was overrun by the H'ns...as usual

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No sales today. Was up until 5am working on business. Gonna see if there are any Sunday sales to go to.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like an after party of the dolphins winning the super bowl!
Don't see that happening anytime soon, that would be a miracle not a catastrophic event! :laughing7:
Well today was horrible. 1 silver coin, two silver rings, a bunch of Boyd's bears for $5. That was it, covered south Fort Myers and part of Bonita Springs.
Pretty sad here today too. Only got 1 sterling ring, a set of Ford Van or p/up hubcaps. a Disney monorail toy and a vintage wind up baby chicken.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today would have been great... if all I wanted to buy were baby clothes and toys.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I've been known to roll with...well, I roll like Diggumup.

If I am going to a train show, I will generally go loaded for bear. I probably wouldn't leave the house for garage sales unless I had $200 in cash, bare minimum.

If going to an estate sale, I treat it like a train show. I still haven't broken the $1,000 mark in the amount that I've spent at an estate sale, but I've come close many, many times.

You know what is funny, though? When I pre-plan, go to the bank for cash, and have all my ducks in a row, and then think I am going to spend all of it, I typically can't find anything worth buying. Three weeks ago, I went to a train show with $800 in cash, the checkbook, and debit cards, and found absolutely nothing to buy!!! Not even one thing!

When I am running late, in rag-tag fashion, and feel woefully underfunded, there are usually tons and tons of scores to be had. More than once in my life, I've had to call for back up, generally my wife or dad, and ask for them to bring me $--- so I can pay for the stuff that I've found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions