diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been known to roll with...well, I roll like Diggumup.

If I am going to a train show, I will generally go loaded for bear. I probably wouldn't leave the house for garage sales unless I had $200 in cash, bare minimum.

If going to an estate sale, I treat it like a train show. I still haven't broken the $1,000 mark in the amount that I've spent at an estate sale, but I've come close many, many times.

You know what is funny, though? When I pre-plan, go to the bank for cash, and have all my ducks in a row, and then think I am going to spend all of it, I typically can't find anything worth buying. Three weeks ago, I went to a train show with $800 in cash, the checkbook, and debit cards, and found absolutely nothing to buy!!! Not even one thing!

When I am running late, in rag-tag fashion, and feel woefully underfunded, there are usually tons and tons of scores to be had. More than once in my life, I've had to call for back up, generally my wife or dad, and ask for them to bring me $--- so I can pay for the stuff that I've found.
Isn't that the way it always works out though, lol? Same goes for showing up early at sales. If i'm early they start on time, if i'm on time they started early.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I can't tell you the number of times that I spent a week studying an auction bill, an estate sale listing, or prepping for a train show, then went to the bank, withdrawing an uncomfortable stack of cash, and going, while thinking "I am going to carry stuff out by the box load." I promise, every time this has happened, I drive home with nothing...not even a single Tyco car, or a box of dirty common tools.

But, if I don't take much cash, and allow the self doubt to build in my head as I drive to the sale, typically, the scores are unbelievable. Early this year, I almost didn't go to an estate sale in the next town over. "It looks like slim pickings, and I am wasting a day, when I should be at home listing the other junk that I have" I thought to myself. I almost turned around...I really did. Thankfully, I stayed the course, and that sale is still paying dividends.

The best find of that day was a box of license plates for $20: Two of the plates sold for almost $400 on the bay, and we've sold countless other plates for $40 to $50. I don't know the complete total, but I am sure that we crossed the $800 mark long ago, and I still have a stack of plates listed. I wish that I could have that type of sale every month!!!!

And just to think, I doubt myself, the estate, the estate company having the sale...and it turned out to be a wonderful sale, with outstanding profits.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
About a buck fifty. Sometimes more if I know I am going to be buying something specific.

The average amount I spend per outing is about $50.

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Gold,
Garrett AT Pro. Makro racer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bring $200 for yard sales on Saturday. $150 for the flea markets on Sunday. If I need more there's usually an ATM within a mile.

Oct 14, 2012
Upstate NY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What else do you bring to garage sales?

I've been GS-ing since I was a kid. It used to be I'd bring what money I had; whether I spent it or not depended. Now I don't have to follow a strict budget, and mostly what I buy is small stuff-books, CDs, DVDs, computer stuff, housewares. I don't buy furniture, and I rarely buy antiques unless they are sorely underpriced.

What I have been doing the past few years is I keep a "garage sale" wallet in my executive safe. As I shop throughout the week, I break twenties and stash the change. I take the ones, fives and tens from my regular wallet and place them in the GS wallet. When the weekend comes, I grab the GS wallet and a small change purse full of quarters. I make sure the GS wallet isn't so bulging it screams "rob me" but has plenty of small bills, then I stash $100-200 in my regular wallet which goes in my cargo pocket. I also have two different ATM cards, if I should need more cash for some reason.

I am always amazed by the number of people who have a sale, but don't have change for a twenty. Or a one dollar bill. If I'm marching from sale to sale, I don't want to wait around for "Harvey! HARVEY!" to come up from the basement or get off the phone. I want to pay and get going.

The other thing I've started bringing is a small but powerful "Nu-flare" flashlight. REALLY bright, small and light so I don't notice I'm carrying it. Lights up those basement nooks and crannies so I can quickly see if there is treasure or junk. No more picking up the filthy box of junk to carry it over to the dim yellow hanging bulb to poke through it.

I also carry an old shampoo bottle in the car. It's filled with soapy water, so I can spray my hands down when they get covered with grease or dirt. Helps to clean hands before eating a snack, hamburger or home-baked brownie!
DD

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll take what cash I have on hand from selling things locally, usually $100-$500. But I only do estate sales and they'll take a check, so I'll carry one of those to use if I need to. I've had to a couple of times.

Yeah, hand santizer always, too.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Alright, I will play. I usually have at least $1500 on me any given day, just in case. You never know when you are going to be out and get a phone call to come check this or that out. Yard saling I usually carry twice that because I always ask for coin collections and firearms. (I have a concealed carry permit and exercise that right.) I have paid over $3000 twice for good coin collections right on someone's lawn or in their garage. I have bought old Colts, Smiths and H.S.'s worth a lot of money, just by reaching into my right back pocket where I keep my wheeling and dealing profits. I have learned to strike while the iron is hot so to speak. These large older collections were usually handed down from Grampa or Dad. I want to have the cash on me to pay, in 100 dollar bills, and not have to run to the bank while they think about it and have a chance to back out, either because they don't want to take $3000 up front quick and easy for $5000 worth of coins I am going to have to "hustle" and put time into. Or give them time to get sentimental about Grampa's 1911. Oh, and don't ask me why, but on the subject of 100 dollar bills, don't ask me why, but if you offer someone $400 in twenties for something, the answer may well be, "No, I don't think I will sell them today.". But offer them 4 brand new $100 dollar bills and they can't wait to give that family heirloom in a heartbeat. Just my observances and 2 cents worth. Happy Hunting all.

T.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright, I will play. I usually have at least $1500 on me any given day, just in case. You never know when you are going to be out and get a phone call to come check this or that out. Yard saling I usually carry twice that because I always ask for coin collections and firearms. (I have a concealed carry permit and exercise that right.) I have paid over $3000 twice for good coin collections right on someone's lawn or in their garage. I have bought old Colts, Smiths and H.S.'s worth a lot of money, just by reaching into my right back pocket where I keep my wheeling and dealing profits. I have learned to strike while the iron is hot so to speak. These large older collections were usually handed down from Grampa or Dad. I want to have the cash on me to pay, in 100 dollar bills, and not have to run to the bank while they think about it and have a chance to back out, either because they don't want to take $3000 up front quick and easy for $5000 worth of coins I am going to have to "hustle" and put time into. Or give them time to get sentimental about Grampa's 1911. Oh, and don't ask me why, but on the subject of 100 dollar bills, don't ask me why, but if you offer someone $400 in twenties for something, the answer may well be, "No, I don't think I will sell them today.". But offer them 4 brand new $100 dollar bills and they can't wait to give that family heirloom in a heartbeat. Just my observances and 2 cents worth. Happy Hunting all.

T.

Hmmm. Something to think about. Good idea.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Agree with the hundred dollar bills vs. twenties. And they need to be the new ones. People are mesmerized by them. Strippers, too.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm taking nothing for the next two weeks I think. The car dealer just took $1300 to replace my air conditioning in my car. Barf!

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm taking nothing for the next two weeks I think. The car dealer just took $1300 to replace my air conditioning in my car. Barf!

I have bad news for you; I have never once had an air-conditioner fixed on a car that lasted.

I find that if I take too much I will just buy what appeals to me. I find on a budget I probably make more sound buying decisions. It does affect what I buy. Its forced me to get creative with shipping on a couple of occasions. Basically if you say today I am going to make the most out of this $10 or $20 you might find what you buy is different.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
My wallet, which usually has 300-500 and some small bills, then I have the big wad tucked away in a safe place in the car in case I need it.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

T.

Very interesting observation, Clad.

Having cash is important, and it is crazy to think what some people will sell when they see cash.

More than once in my life I have heard, "Nah. I think I'll just keep it," until I pull out cash. When some people see the cash, so often, their tune changes. "I ain't playing with those old trains anyway, and they are just taking up space."

I don't buy much high end stuff, like guns or coins, but it is interesting to hear that hundred dollar bills will get some people really motivated.

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll usually carry $60 for garage sales and the flea market because 99% of the time that is adequate to cover anything I find that I really want, might bring $100 for a really juicy-sounding estate sale or if I'm going to multiple estate sales in a row. If I find anything that I absolutely need to buy and can't cover I will leave some cash and run to the ATM but that's only happened twice. Even when I can afford to bring more, limiting my available funds definitely helps me not overspend. Another thing I've started doing is carrying some "bullion" silver (jewelry scrap, junk coins and generic wearable stuff I don't feel like listing on eBay) for trade with flea market vendors, I imagine there are sellers in other venues who would be open to the idea of that as well but I've gotten some nice stuff, silver and otherwise, doing this. Made out slightly better than melt for the weight I traded and everybody was happy at the end, which is always a plus.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Just be careful flashing the cash, even inadvertently. Saturday I was headed to the GSs and and an ES or two and had about 400 on me. Damn car wouldn't start so I lift the hood and start fooling around with the battery cables. Tough looking guy on a bike stops and I hear the usual "Look, I'm no bum and I'm not asking for any money.." (yeah, like he's just going to entertain me with stories like he's Park Service Ranger at Gettysburg or some Maine lighthouse keeper), so I stop him and open the wallet and hand him a dollar just to get rid of him. Unfortunately, he sees the hundreds in my wallet and his eyes fixate on them and sizes me up. So I quickly say, "I gotta get a wrench" and take off into the house before he can react. I grabbed an S&W "wrench" and put it in my pocket, just in case, and headed back out. I think he sensed something was wrong and left in the interim, thank God. Don't ever want to have to deal with that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread