How much should you share about your site?

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
You might use the words "old school", "field", "pasture", "empty lot", "tot lot", etc. If you use pics, watch the background for identifying features or landmarks.
I know a couple guys here in town that come along later and dig only coins and such, while either reburying the trash in partially filled holes or throwing the trash next to a tree or in the bushes. You look out across the area and it looks like a prairie dog town.

firedup

Jan 28, 2008
Detector(s) used
DFX ,Bullseye 2
I would let them know that it exists, show your finds and lead them in the wrong direction to keep them confused.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
....an old private homestead that took me forever to get permission to hunt.....

...So far in the boonies that it took me hours to hike in and out...........

.......got to dig just hours before they dumped five feet of fill on it.....

.....private property of a relative....A great spot but I am the only one they allow in....
.....in a small town west of here.....in an old church yard.....at a school they tore down.....down by the river......

I was leary about giving up site info ,but then
I gave up one of my best sites to my friend Tnet member groundfisher....the 1800's chinese laundry along the river.....because I had hunted it three times....found alot of cool stuff but no silver.....so out of frustration I asked him if he would go hunt it because I thought I was missing something....he hunted it for about three hours and didnt find any silver either.... :)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello PTP,,,
What I have done is give my usual sites a nick name and when talking about that site I use that name every time. Such as the place where I found my first cache of coins is known as the "Cache site". Also, I have a local park I call. "Old Faithful" simply because it hardly ever lets me down. I can usually always find at least a wheatie, or two...

It's not that I wouldn't share the site with other TH'ers, but rather the fact that you just never know who may be reading the post simply to find out where you are so they can do you harm, or possibly rob you....
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not worry about it. Unless you give away in good detail a place that has a huge gold treasure horde. I don't think anyone is going to travel across country and go through the trouble of finding and hunting your little silver park. If they do who cares don't be blinded by greed, maybe you can meet a new hunting friend.

Keep @ it and HH!!

K

Kentucky Kache

If there are others around you who hunts, I would keep quiet. If not, take the advice above.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I guess to a casual acquaintance I wouldn't give out the location...especially if I was on to something big....but there are friends from Tnet who have shared specific information with me on their sites right down to the exact coordinates
and I have given out info to different members in hopes that they will be able to detect a site that I cant get to....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread