Old Drive In Theater

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Good luck to you! Finally, something I can help with. Here is a site with drive-in info... old and new! The site is being upgraded but is a great resource for research. With a bit of spring fever setting in, here is a great idea to research local drive-ins in your area. Many people don't realize that there are still quite a few still operating. I checked this site and found three within an hour and a half of me. We had a blast! A double feature was $7 per person and special kid rates. You can't beat it. It's cheaper than a restaurant and lasts the whole night. It was a great bit of nostalgia for me and a first for my wife. As kids we went to the drive-in in PJ's with pillows and blankets in the back seat. We also always bought that green spiral mosquito thing. I never saw the inside of an indoor theatre until I was twelve and then it was only the dollar theatres. Dad was a movie buff but he was extremely frugal. One note is that if you go, please patronize their snackbar. They really don't make any money on the movie due to the high cost of getting first run movies. They rely on the consession stands to stay in business. We did bring some iced tea and a couple snacks but we went early to eat dinner from the snackbar and went back because popcorn out of a bag just isn't the same. The one I went to has pony rides and characters on some days. It is a great family outing. Here is the site:

http://www.drive-ins.com/

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
They can be good places to hunt but be prepared for some hard digging with the gravel and dirt being comacted together for 20+ years.

AirForce1 (Ret.)

Apr 9, 2007
La Luz, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Be prepared for pull tab and bottle cap heaven, found two old drive ins here in Alamogordo that I drove by every day and didn't know they existed until I looked at Google Earth and saw the distinctive outlines of them. Pulled a few wheaties out of them but unfortunately time and trash made them hard to detect, hope you have better results

AF1

Attachments

• drive in 1.JPG
    drive in 1.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 433
  • drive in.JPG
    drive in.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 436
OP
OP
gnewt

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Maybe some problems but hard dirt won't be the problem, they have ripped it , so
some of it may be deep. They didnt turn the soil, that will help. It was done recently. Also six houses were removed it has been included into the same area.
Each lot is about a half acre. I got a lot of hunting to do. Gnewt

Idig4beer

Dec 23, 2007
Lebanon, oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter-Fortune Hunter
;D Oh yea, drive in theaters.I remember years ago, I went to the drive-in with my Dad, and came home with my Mom.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
If there is an existing fence ....search along the fence...I worked at a drive in and all the money used to blow up against the fence...always used to find dollars along it....

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
gnewt said:
Just found an old drive in theater from the fifties thru seventy. We are getting permission right away. I had never thought of ever hunting a drive in but since I found it, I cant think of a better place, and so big....I can't wait. Gnewt
If the theater has a dirt surface you are probably in for a good time. How about this one: when my wife and I used to drive from Los Angeles to Las Vegas we would pass a drive-in about 200 miles from L.A. that looked abandoned and it had a high fence shielding it from the road. One day I got adventurous and decided to find that drive-in. I did and went behind it to park the car. There was no one locally to get permission from so I had to trespass. Unfortunately, when I went into the property I was totally disappointed at what I saw: it was totally paved!

The same thing happened at Castaic Lake. I had secured an inner tube and put a net-like affair to hold the detector housing on the surface of the water. I also got an extension for the cable to allow me to detect approx. 10 feet depth. Unfortunately, after all of that preparation when I entered the water I realized I wasn't walking on dirt but on a paved surface that went out to about 50 sloping feet!

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot!

OP
OP
gnewt

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Yep, I am looking forward to this after the snow melts, we got 8 " yesterday.
My daughter is going with me, I'll tell every one she is my older sister.
She reads all my posts so she will whack me with a broom, I know.
TT when Cannon Ball my coon dog comes over to your place and drops one of them
cuban cigars on your lawn, don't light it, they really stink and won't stay lit.
Gnewt

OP
OP
gnewt

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
TT I tried one, they taste like burning hair. Wheres our liberal straight man??
Gnewt

OP
OP
gnewt

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
I really don't know where they have gone, the only post I get from them is very short it just says Ignore, did I hit the wrong button? Gnewt

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
There is a couple old drive in theatres near me . One of them I haven't been by for several years
so don't know what's there now . I was down the road past the other one not long ago . It looks like it
has been abandoned for a long time . The last few years it was open they showed XXX films . Maybe
that was the one you went to with your dad & came home with your mom . ;D I have been thinking
about trying to get permission to detect it . Those old rubber thingies should be long gone by now . ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread