How much to dump at once is safe?

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
How much in coins do you typically dump at once? Without looking bad. I have some Dollar coins I can pick up this week, want to try and pick them up before anyone else gets at the rest. But tomorrow I have $90 to dump. Then it is gonna give me around $270 to pick up more dollars. I plan to just dump and pick up every other day til they are all gone and searched thru. I just don't want to lose any respect where I dump for doing it too often or too much per day.

Upvote 0

JJDEMARAY

Mar 18, 2011
Minnesota
I dump up to $4500.00 per branch at various Wells Fargo's, so your $200.00-$300.00 shouldn't be a problem if you can find a major chain like Wells, B of A, US Bank, etc...

Good luck and HH

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
I dump a $1000 at a shot. If i dump dimes and quarters then its up to $1500. But all this is after making nice with with the tellers at the different banks for the past two years. You have to get to know the people you are working with at the banks, and after a while you will be able to figure out what you can dump with out any problems. HH

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
It really depends on the bank and the branch. Just because someone's Bank of America is cool with them dumping $5K in halves every other day doesn't mean that your bank won't complain if you dump $500 in halves once a week. Get to know your banks and their setups. Some banks simply do not deal with coin and you shouldn't dump there. Other banks take a lot of coin and you can dump all you want. No one can tell you what your bank will and won't find acceptable.

OP
OP
M

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
Only reason I ask is because my 2nd bank that I use as a dump only takes loose coins. So no need to roll them. Works better for me, plus my pickup bank has been my bank since I was a kid so better relationship with picking up.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I usually keep my dumps in a coin machine at $1000 or less.

In rolled coin, I keep it less than $500, and generally, less than $400.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
It does to a degree depend on what you are dumping.

If you dump only halves or Ikes it is more apparent what you are doing and more important to give some cooling off time between dumps at each branch. Sure they all know what you are doing, but by rotating your dump branches, you hide the scale on which you are doing it. Also, if you mix it up between halves, dimes, cents, and nickels, it throws them off your trail enough that more frequent visits is not as much of an annoyance - IMO.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
$8500. Anything more generates a corporate mandated SAR. When I dump, I'll make my rounds between 6-8 branches in one day. Approx. 50k in cash transactions. No receipt. No deposit.

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
As stated, it really depends on the bank. I will dump to 3K at banks that have the counters in lobby. If I have to have tellers count it, I will usually stick to a 1K limit, but will do 2K at some branches where I have established a good relationship.

MU

sshafer11

Jul 29, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always get to know the head teller/vault teller, both for how much and how often you can dump. Bring in chocolates, I have never had a teller that wasn't ecstatic to receive chocolates.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually dump 2-3k per location.

The reason for me is simple, more than 6 coin lock bags is impossible to carry.

6 is ~168 lbs which is heavy but doable, good shoulder and forearm workout :-)

4 is ~112 lbs which is alot more comfortable and usually what I try to do, but if I have a ton of dumps and/or don't want to drive to as many dump banks then i will do 6 bags vs. 4 at a time.

Get to know the security guards at your dump banks to. They'll ask what you're doing, find out when their birthday is, bring them in a proof coin or nice silver from that year if they are that old. I want that Taser and pepper spray on my side and I know they have my back!

Always be sweet to the tellers, small talk, how's your day, I like your shirt or whatever, your hair looks nice today, did you get it cut?

Keep an eye out for people eyeing you up. I've never had any stalkers, but I know people on this board have posted that they have had some.

HH,
Bigheed

OP
OP
M

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
This just came up as a good post for me now. Dumped $90 in cons, $30 dimes, $20 nickels and $40 in Ikes. So the teller tells me the machine won't take those, but she'll just keep them in her drawer. What she doesn't know I can get about $590 more in Ikes. So I kind of feel bad dumping them all at the same place. Because they gotta count them and put them in an envelope in the drawer. Looks like I'll take less when I pick up and maybe time my drop days so I can hope I get a different teller each time. Maybe even use one of the other branches of that Credit Union to dump at as well. May as well just dump all at the same brand CU.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It really does depend on the bank.

1 of my 2 dump banks is a customer run counter so they don't care how much I dump. I used to dump every morning and buy more that day to dump the next day.

Some times I go there 2 times a day when I'm really hitting them. I usually dump $1500 or so.

The second bank takes loose coins and will let me dump as much as I want as long as I don't make the bags too heavy. They prefer 2-3 half bags over 1 full bag.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
At this point i let the looks on tellers faces determine when i will come back....that is for the banks that are somewhat local. As for how much it depends on what kind of machine it is .TD bank is rarely more then 100in halves and never dimes. Other banks usually just shy of 400 split between halves and dimes. Areas i wont be back for months may get more depending on my welcome...I always have more in the car when hunting. Needless to say i join almost every bank with a machine i come accross.

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
Almost all my hunting is halves, and I usually dump $500 to $1000 at a time. I dump with one particular national bank that seemingly has branches on every corner around here (there are two different intersections in the same suburb that have branches directly across the street from each other, no joke) so I can spread them out pretty easily and not wear out my welcome. Unless that is all I have, I usually don't dump less than $500 at a time since this bank typically will immediately ship off amounts that are at least $500 but will normally just hold onto smaller amounts.

That said, there is one branch that has said they will take larger amounts but haven't tried myself yet since it isn't on my usual route. Striked up a conversation with the teller who told me he has a regular who brings in about $4k at a time about once a week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread