How not to coin roll hunt

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
I was in a bank today that has produced a lot of 40% halves and there is a guy at the next teller asking for halves also,Im thinking this isnt good, but he tells the lady at the counter hes looking only for silver halves he wants to buy halves he says but only silver ones ( dont we all Im thinking) she says they have halves but there not silver I then hear this guy telling her all about pre 1965 coins and how much there worth! ( great lets train some more cherry pickers) Anyway they said they had $150 of them which he didnt want unless there silver so I took them ( all junk) I told him that the BofA down the street always has loads of halves ( which they do since I dump there they also have cherry picking tellers ) As for my finds $300 in dimes all junk and $70 in cwrs from another bank produced 1 1964 D. another bank had $8 in halves which gave me a 1964 D! :headbang: total halves searched around $180

Upvote 0

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Those that do not take the time to learn the craft wander aimlessly and then give up.

That's what keeps legions of silver-hungry neighbors from competing for very long.

corey237

Dec 27, 2010
I had to pick my daughter up from a running camp 3 hours away from my house today and went on an all day road trip picking up, searching them while I drove and dump at next bank repeating the process several times. Out of the five banks I dumped at at least 4 of the tellers asked me directly or indirectly if I checked them for silver (I played stupid). 2 of them pretty much checked them all in the coin tray on the counter before pushing them in. Things have changed drastically from what I have noticed.

One time about a year ago I went into a bank and asked for halves and dimes and the teller said asked "are you looking for silver coins because I have a few here? I asked her how much she wanted for them and she gave me an odd look and said I can't sell them for more than face value. Was only like $3 or so but I was surprised to say the least.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
One of the banks that I make my best loose coin scores at cannot knowingly accept silver coins, or other coins with collectible value. I've found several solid silver rolls there in the past.

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel the knowledge we share he gives us a leg up over all the people that ignorantly stumble through it, only to give up shortly after when they fail. Sharing knowledge is what keeps people successful, in CRH, in their career, and in their life as a whole. Yes, it is true that some lurkers take our knowledge and find silver on their own that we could have otherwise found if we would have kept quiet…but those lurkers sometimes join up and share their experiences. I’m one of those people, and I’m trying to give back. My experiences with my coin counter bags is helping some, and I’m glad to see that.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Sigh i should have been a rocket scientist with people like the one you explained running around.

Maybe next time you try talking to someone like explain to him indirectly of course just how stupid he sounds asking like he does. Also might not be a good idea to send him anywhere asking for silver halves even if it is just a dump. The less people he talks to the better. Im at the point in life where i dont mind insulting peolple tho i usually base it on whether or not someone was actively stupid or just naive. "Stupid is as stupid does". The more people especially tellers we teach without being asked the less silver we will find. Note that i fully endorse teaching when asked directly .

RUSSIANPAUL

Apr 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost a similar thing happened to me last week. I was at a TD bank i dont usually frequent, but i was in the area and decided to dump some of the halves i had. When i went to the teller with the voucher, i saw that she had a silver quarter in the middle of a stack. Usually if its the first or last, they give me an excuse of some sort like they are saving it for someone, and i dont bother fussing over it. Well since it was in the middle of the tray, i asked her if i could have the one with "a fat rim" in the middle since i collect those. She was quite pleasant and said sure, since she obviously had absolutely no idea.

The customer next to me looks over and comments "OH, a Silver one?".

Thanks Buddy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread