Teller screwed me over today.

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to dump my nickels from yesterday and noticed in the tellers tray she had 4 halves, 1 of which looked like a 90%er, I told her to give me 98 dollars and the rest in halves. So she gave me 98 dollars, 3 halves and 2 quarters.... I am thinking to myself..uh... What the hell? I told her why can't I have the other half? She said it was special, the bank manager came over too her and agreed. So I got the money from my nickels, went outside and fumed some. Went back in and decided to cancel my account. They said it would cost 25 dollars to cancel my account!!!! Also unknowing to me they have been taking 8 dollars a month out of my account because I haven't used my debit card more than 25 times a month... WOW. I went apes**t ballistic, I told them I wasn't paying it and to give me all the money out of my account except for 8 dollars to cover the account for this month. The bank will take the 8 dollars out for this month and my account will go to 0.00 therefore closing my account and I owe them nothing. I flipped them off the whole time I walked out. I am now probably now on some terrorist watch list because of 1 half dollar... Oh and if you are wondering the bank is Regions.. I will never do business with them again and would not recommend them to anyone of you!!! Thanks for reading my rant. >:(

Upvote 0

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a book once called "the bank book." It's entirely devoted to sneaky underhanded tricks banks pull on people, like your $8 a month charge for not using the card enough.

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
That sucks Regions seem like nice people on their commercials :laughing9:

OP
OP
ImpurestStewart

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
tgcougar said:
Dude, you need some serious "woo sah" time. It's one coin. Why are you so special?

Excuse me? I had just as much right to the coins in the tellers tray as every other customer at the bank. If you got nothing positive to say then stay off my post. I gurantee if you walked in a bank and saw 1 silver coin or 15 silver coins in the tellers tray you would ask for them and you would be pissed if they did not give them to you. Espicially if you have had an account with them for 6 months or longer. :cussing: ::)

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ImpurestStewart said:
tgcougar said:
Dude, you need some serious "woo sah" time. It's one coin. Why are you so special?

Excuse me? I had just as much right to the coins in the tellers tray as every other customer at the bank. If you got nothing positive to say then stay off my post. I gurantee if you walked in a bank and saw 1 silver coin or 15 silver coins in the tellers tray you would ask for them and you would be pissed if they did not give them to you. Espicially if you have had an account with them for 6 months or longer. :cussing: ::)
I am tired of all the banks getting rich of us working class, my bank I deal with has some rude tellers, they like to stick their nose where it does not belong. You have all the right to speak your mind. :coffee2:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImpurestStewart said:

This happens all the time. It has happened to me at least 10 times in the 18 or so months I've been at this. And its gonna happen again - to both of us. Might as well prepare for it. Its just all part of the game. You can always offer to buy the coin (above face value). Sometimes you get a bargain...sometimes not. Regardless its not worth getting all bent out of shape about it.

The only ridiculous part to me is the bank fees - especially the $25 fee to close an account. Never heard of that one before. I would have been a little perturbed over that one myself.

tgcougar

Jun 8, 2011
ImpurestStewart said:
tgcougar said:

But I'm not talking about other 'customers', or your 'rights', but about your reaction.

"WOW. I went apes**t ballistic" & "I flipped them off the whole time I walked out."

If your post was just a rant, carry on, but I think your reactions, as described, were out of the norm.

As for "I gurantee [sic] if you walked in a bank and saw 1 silver coin or 15 silver coins in the tellers tray you would ask for them and you would be pissed if they did not give them to you.", you're right, I might be pissed but I wouldn't behave like a child. Again, those coins aren't "yours", just because you see them. Get over yourself.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Whoa...

I would get out of any account that was charging me a fee per mo. like that...IF I didn't want to make the debits.

It pays to ASK ABOUT ANY POSSIBLE FEES WHEN APPLYING FOR THE ACCOUNT.

But wait....

Let's put the fee part aside for now. Just concentrate on the one coin.

I would ask myself whether it was more useful to my plan to be rid of this account, or to hold onto it and ignore the one coin.

Because one thing's for sure...IF THIS BANK ISN'T GIVING YOU BENEFITS THAT ARE WORTH MORE THAN ONE COIN, YOU NEED TO BE RID OF IT YESTERDAY. (pardon for shouting).

That's one bank you won't be comfortable going into again anytime soon.

I have bank accounts because they are useful and profitable to me; not just because I like the people there.

OP
OP
ImpurestStewart

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
tgcougar said:
ImpurestStewart said:
tgcougar said:

But I'm not talking about other 'customers', or your 'rights', but about your reaction.

"WOW. I went apes**t ballistic" & "I flipped them off the whole time I walked out."

If your post was just a rant, carry on, but I think your reactions, as described, were out of the norm.

As for "I gurantee [sic] if you walked in a bank and saw 1 silver coin or 15 silver coins in the tellers tray you would ask for them and you would be pissed if they did not give them to you.", you're right, I might be pissed but I wouldn't behave like a child. Again, those coins aren't "yours", just because you see them. Get over yourself.

Do I need your permission to continue on with a rant? Last time I checked this is the United States of America. There is a document called the constitution that has these things called amendments written with it.(You should probably look into it!) The first one says I have freedom of speech. Did I do anything threatening? No. Was there anyone else in the bank besides employees when I went back in? No. It's a thing called tact. If you would have read I went back in after fuming OUTSIDE in my truck away from everyone else. I went back in 5 minutes before closing. What really pissed me off was the fee to terminate the account. You are the one who needs to get over yourself. Go find something better to do than try to tell people how to act on a forum.Not I or Anybody else has asked for your opinion. Good day sir. :D

OP
OP
ImpurestStewart

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Piledriver said:
Whoa...

I would get out of any account that was charging me a fee per mo. like that...IF I didn't want to make the debits.

It pays to ASK ABOUT ANY POSSIBLE FEES WHEN APPLYING FOR THE ACCOUNT.

But wait....

Let's put the fee part aside for now. Just concentrate on the one coin.

I would ask myself whether it was more useful to my plan to be rid of this account, or to hold onto it and ignore the one coin.

Because one thing's for sure...IF THIS BANK ISN'T GIVING YOU BENEFITS THAT ARE WORTH MORE THAN ONE COIN, YOU NEED TO BE RID OF IT YESTERDAY. (pardon for shouting).

That's one bank you won't be comfortable going into again anytime soon.

I have bank accounts because they are useful and profitable to me; not just because I like the people there.

I had been using the debit card on small stuff there for awhile. I just wasn't using it 25 times and thought nothing of it when I looked at the bank statement. But the 25 dollar termination fee I had NO idea about. That's what set me off. Some people do not seem to get that though.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
ImpurestStewart said:
Went to dump my nickels from yesterday and noticed in the tellers tray she had 4 halves, 1 of which looked like a 90%er, I told her to give me 98 dollars and the rest in halves. So she gave me 98 dollars, 3 halves and 2 quarters.... I am thinking to myself..uh... What the hell? I told her why can't I have the other half? She said it was special, the bank manager came over too her and agreed. So I got the money from my nickels, went outside and fumed some. Went back in and decided to cancel my account. They said it would cost 25 dollars to cancel my account!!!! Also unknowing to me they have been taking 8 dollars a month out of my account because I haven't used my debit card more than 25 times a month... WOW. I went apes**t ballistic, I told them I wasn't paying it and to give me all the money out of my account except for 8 dollars to cover the account for this month. The bank will take the 8 dollars out for this month and my account will go to 0.00 therefore closing my account and I owe them nothing. I flipped them off the whole time I walked out. I am now probably now on some terrorist watch list because of 1 half dollar... Oh and if you are wondering the bank is Regions.. I will never do business with them again and would not recommend them to anyone of you!!! Thanks for reading my rant. >:(

I am not proud of what I am about to admit, but I could very, very, very realistically say that I would be right there with you.... If for some way I could maintain a professional level of maturity over the silver "incident". I for sure would have thrown maturity out the window with the 25 dollar fee to close the account, and 8 bucks a month "surprise" BS, account fee...

Dont feel to bad, I am right there with ya.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you opened an account the bank fees are listed in the bank paperwork, also you get a monthly statement each month, did you not notice the $8.00 fee coming out each month? All of that anger because you did not get a single half dollar... :icon_scratch:

I don't think the teller did anything anyone else who collects silver would not have done......

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Talk about stupid bank charges... my bank started tacking on a charge for every transaction, INCLUDING DEPOSITS. They also started charging for every check that came in out of sequence. After banking there for around 16 years, changes come and go without my knowing. In fact, this reminds me that I need to check and see if there have been any new "little charges" added recently that I'm unaware of.

RP4L

Jun 3, 2011
Right on. The only thing different that I would have done was transfer all my money to the account first. Then ask for 20s when you close it ;)

I've done the routine before. In an incident not related to coin roll hunting, some teller was extremely rude to me. I transferred all my funds and the bank manager was not too happy when he saw how long I had been a member and how much I had in the account.

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
I would have been pissed too honestly. I don't know that I would have flipped the bird but I definitely would've given them a hard time about it. Especially the fee to close an account.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
The issue of teller grabbing coins right in front of your face has been brought up many times here. It will happen again. I don't like it just as much as you. Long ago.. I saw a teller who grabbed coins in front of me (it was a roll of silver dimes).. I made it into a dump bank. I brought in rolls with "S" written on them. That teller would even asked me what the "S" meant. I said "nothing". Now I think back, it could mean "silver" or "skunk".. lol.. let her open them and find out.

It would also infuriate me if my bank charged me money to close my account. It just doesn't sound right.. I don't think it's legal. By doing that, they're forcing you to keep your account with them. I would speak to someone higher up and have it waived. If they refuse, I would take them to small claims court for the $25.00. I guarantee that they will not argue with you in small claims court for $25.00 since companies would have to hire attorneys/representatives to show up that would cost much more than that. They'll just say, "ok, fine we'll waive it.. close your account, just don't take us to court."

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
ImpurestStewart said:
. . . The bank will take the 8 dollars out for this month and my account will go to 0.00 therefore closing my account and I owe them nothing. . .

SFBayArea said:
. . . take them to small claims court for the $25.00. I guarantee that they will not argue with you in small claims court for $25.00 since companies would have to hire attorneys/representatives to show up that would cost much more than that. They'll just say, "ok, fine we'll waive it.. close your account, just don't take us to court."

It sounds like Impure hasn't paid the $25 and hasn't "closed" the account. He's counting on the account closing itself by going to $0 balance. I'd be a bit careful as that might result in more fees. SFBay is right that this won't go to any sort of court or even to collections, but unpaid bank fees will get reported to ChexSystem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChexSystems). That doesn't hurt your credit rating, but can hinder your options for future banking.

My suggestion is to speak to the bank manager and say that based on the misunderstanding over the monthly maintenance fee, that it is better for everyone if the bank were to waive the early closing fee and just close the account.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
madwest said:
ImpurestStewart said:
. . . The bank will take the 8 dollars out for this month and my account will go to 0.00 therefore closing my account and I owe them nothing. . .

SFBayArea said:
. . . take them to small claims court for the $25.00. I guarantee that they will not argue with you in small claims court for $25.00 since companies would have to hire attorneys/representatives to show up that would cost much more than that. They'll just say, "ok, fine we'll waive it.. close your account, just don't take us to court."

It sounds like Impure hasn't paid the $25 and hasn't "closed" the account. He's counting on the account closing itself by going to $0 balance. I'd be a bit careful as that might result in more fees. SFBay is right that this won't go to any sort of court or even to collections, but unpaid bank fees will get reported to ChexSystem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChexSystems). That doesn't hurt your credit rating, but can hinder your options for future banking.

My suggestion is to speak to the bank manager and say that based on the misunderstanding over the monthly maintenance fee, that it is better for everyone if the bank were to waive the early closing fee and just close the account.

MW is correct, just because there are no funds in the account doesn't automatically close the account, it will still accumulate monthly fees till it is closed by the holder of the account.........

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
First - never burn your bridges, banks where tellers are collectors make great dump banks.

Also could have nicely recomended for the tellers to not to perform hobby in plain view of customers as it teases them and a bank is a business not a hobby store for tellers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread