How old do you think this wreck debris is?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Judging from the extensive iron works, looks like late 19th century. Can you tell us what beach this is? That would narrow it down a lot.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thanks for the pics! I don't get to see that every day and I hope there are many additions to this post!

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Wow. Looks like someone was trying to rig up some type of crude sailing vessel. Can't imagine it being overly functional by the looks of it.

Hope you are MDing the site.

itmaiden

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I took these photos at Cape Hatteras a few years ago.

The wreckage looks similar to your photos. I am guessing mid to late 1800's?

Tom

ps. that last photo is for Cappy Z

Attachments

• outer banks 07.jpg
    outer banks 07.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,020
  • outer_banks 07.jpg
    outer_banks 07.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,004
  • outer banks beach wreck.jpg
    outer banks beach wreck.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,020
  • outer banks libations.jpg
    outer banks libations.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,011

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
I found a vessel that looked similar in construction by searching the net. It was called the "Buster" and was built in New South Wales, Canada from what I understand and was from the 1800's.

itmaiden

mad4wrecks said:
I took these photos at Cape Hatteras a few years ago.

The wreckage looks similar to your photos. I am guessing mid to late 1800's?

Tom

ps. that last photo is for Cappy Z

OP
OP
C

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
This is on the middle section of the west end of Limantinour Beach at Los Reyes Park. I had read previously about there being some wreckage on shore in this location, and there is a large marine engine a couple hundred yards from it sunk in the sand. The high tide is moving it around, and I'm not sure how long it has been in the beach area.

I think it could be from the Daisy Gadsby wreck 1916, Ida A wreck 1912, or some other wreck. A lot of turn of the century bottles washed up last year along the shoreline near there.

OP
OP
C

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Still out there, moved around a little on the beach.

A loose stake or pin someone put up on top of the wreckage.

Mysterious freight washed up on the shore. I'm thinking it's either old rubber or pig skins.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I've seen the remants of a Civil War blockade runner and a sail barge that had iron driftpins and framing arrangement almost identically to this. The blockade runner was built in the 1850's while it is believed the sail barge to be from the 1840's. With that in mind, I'm not sure it could be conclusively said that this would be late 19th century based on the photos provided. Just trying to open up the possibilities.

diggerww

Dec 12, 2007
Historically speaking, pronounced "Kah-loo-aah", the beverage is a dark, but soft and semi-sweet liqueur with a coffee base. Kahlua is blended in Mexico and exported world-wide. You can buy Kahlua in most supermarkets and liquor stores around the UK/Europe as well as North America. Look for the dark colored bottle and the bright yellow and red label.
White Russian
Ingredients: 1 Part Kahlua, 1 Part Vodka, 1 Part Cream or Milk, ice cubes
Method: Pour the Kahlua and Vodka over ice, into short glass. Top with cream or full cream milk. Serve.

Captain Fred

Greenie
Oct 26, 2010
Henderson, KY
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport, White's MXT, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Garrett Grand Master Hunter, Garrett Ace 250
I am sticking with Digger on this one.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread