How Really Dense Targets Can Avoid Capture

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm out in the trenches about chest deep the other day playing with the new Sand Shark when all of a sudden I get a nice solid tone with a tight signature, and naturally, right away I'm thinking, ring! So I center the target, mark the coil with my toes, move the coil out of the way and then take a scoop with the big stealth. Hu, nothing in my scoop, so I recheck the hole and nothing, not so much as burp. And so, here we go....

A quick sweep of the area and I find the target again, this time to the right of the hole which a bit odd since I scoop with my left hand, “How in the world did it get clear over there?”
No doubt this was a dense target and I'm still thinking “ring” when I go after it a second time, then a third time as now it's on my left, then a forth time as now it's back in the hole, and after about eight or ten tries I'm starting to get a bit frustrated and more determined then ever.

Anyway, I finally locate this target again and now it's at the front of the hole near the top so I move to the side of the hole so I can try to scrape it into the scoop with my foot, and then I raise the scoop to find nothing. When I recheck with the detector again this damn target is now another foot in front of the hole and I'm starting to get aggravated. In a last ditch effort to capture this target I locate it again with the coil, center it, and then I use my foot to see if I can feel the darn thing, which I can't, so I run the coil over that spot again and the target is gone, not there anymore.

I'm shaking my head at this point, I mean I've chased some tough targets but this thing was rating way up there, nearly a certified walk-off at this point. In the past I've chased sinker on leaders, chains, and other items that can be easily pulled back out of the scoop as is being raised but this thing never once offered that tell-tell tug as I was raising the scoop. And why, when I finally had it on the surface, couldn't I feel it with my foot after carefully centering the target? That's when I though to myself, “because it's not there?” But how can that be? Am I having a machine issue of some sort?

Now I learned a big lesson when I finally raised my detector to inspect the coil, the one ounce sinker dangling from two feet of fishing line quickly solving the mystery, another three or feet of heavy fishing line now wrapped around the coil and coil wing nut. Apparently every time I moved the scoop out of the way so I could take another scoop of sand I was moving the target to a new location. And this, my friends, is how really dense targets can easily avoid capture. :laughing7:

And, no, a mask isn't an option in my sandy and cloudy world. But I sure wish it was!

Upvote 0

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's too funny- sad. I usually chase bits of tin :icon_queen: Found a penny today!yay...

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nowhere was this possible situation mentioned in the Official Surf Hunter's troubleshooting guide. :laughing7:

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
That's awesome. I was guessing pull tab the whole time.

jbc465

Sep 7, 2013
That was funny. But I feel your pain. It isn't easy digging in the water.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a prank if you could just figure out how to set it up. :laughing7:

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Funny but frustrating too. I had that happen with small Bobbie pins and the like in the water when I first got the SS until I attached a small magnet to the bottom of the scoop. Not anymore.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a frustrating experience in trying to capture a target on smooth dry sand with a sniper coil on a VLF single frequency detector at night.
It would get a loud clean crisp tone which would disappear each time I tried to recheck the signal. The next time I detected the target it was found forward and to the left several feet away. When I tried to recheck the target it was gone only to be found to the right several feet away. Baffled I rotated my sweep pattern ninety degrees and did a small grid search. When I reacquired it next, the signal was again several feet away but directly in front. Puzzled I, just walked to take a closer look at the area that I wast testing. I was surprised when I spotlighted a bright shinny quarter lying on top of the sand. What was happening was that I was putting this coin with the coil like a golf club each time it was detected (lol).

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread