How small of an object can your detector find?

B

BIG61AL

I found this tiny remnant of what I believe to be a child's toy ring. The edges have punch press marks. It is not magnetic. I had trouble finding this after I acquired the target. Got a solid penny signal. It is about the third the thickness of a penny. I am pleased that my detector can latch onto such a small target. How small of a target have you found?

Attachments

• small  remnent.JPG
    small remnent.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,177
Upvote 0

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Explorer II, found a silver piece about 1/5th. the size of a dime at about four inches.

jpitt1970

Jan 5, 2009
Huntsville. Al
I've found cw percussion caps & bird shot several inches down & below tall grass with my old Whites 4900d... I haven't used it in like 14 years since I've moved to Florida.. tried to use it on the beach and couldn't seem to get it balanced in the sand. I just put it away. I look at it every now and then..alot more now, especially since I found this website..I've just been waaaay more into Indian artifacts lately

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
tiny shallow foil.. Need I say more?? Around 1-4 mm in size, w/ Explorer II at 10 Gain, less then a inch deep and 10" coil. :tard:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Tiger Shark can find tiny stud earrings. The problem is getting them into a scoop because they're small enough to fall between the holes.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using one of my Sovereign GTs I found the tiny eyelet that goes on the back of pierced earrings. Only reason I was able to get it was I added tiny mesh screen to the bottom cornor of my scoop to catch stud earrings. I know that was what the signal was because the signal disappeared when I recovered the eyelet.....

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was going nuts at a fairground and could not pinpoint a target. Dug and turned and passed handfulls of soil . . . turns out I was hitting a nichrome lightbulb filiment wire. Almost invisible in the dirt. Maybe 1/2" x a thread width. When I started to find glass and bulb bases I ignored those targets. There were dozens of smashed lightbulbs from where they must have trashed the burned-out bulbs for the carnival rides. If you want to mask a buried cache seed the soil above it with nichrome lightbulb filiments. You'll drive the coin-shooters nuts.

At our radio-controlled airplane field I find the washers to glow plugs. 1/16" thick copper rings that are 1/4" in diameter. These read good to many inches deep. The field tractor-towed plug-cutter/aireator pushes them to 4", darn it.

And yes, bird shot. Lots of that hereabouts. Old farmland and bushlots.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
When you folks start finding birdshot. do you stop and try another area?
Gosh you could dig a bunch of them until there was no noise.
But , just maybe, there is good stuff there too.
I found my first gold under a pulltab.
Had a cheap machine and when it beeped, I would dig.
If I found a bunch of birdshot, I would move.
Randy

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Depends....With my Whites DFX in the all metal mode.....I have dug an piece of iron the size of a BB at 3 inches....I was thoroughly amazed....I have done this numerous times.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
greydigger said:
When you folks start finding birdshot. do you stop and try another area?

Nope. I just ignore the targets that read 40 to 45 on the VDI and keep plugging away. Usually where birdshot is found I have no discrimination set (thar be relics) and it's easier to just ignore it than try and notch it out. My property is swimming in birdshot and old shotgun shell bases. If I didn't hunt where those were I wouldn't be able to hunt my property.

.22LR cases - there must be thousands upon thousands of them planted here. I find rifled slugs in some surprising places, too.

Just behind our barn amid a bunch of birdshot I found this dog tag. I guess that dog didn't hunt.

Attachments

• IM000920.JPG
    IM000920.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 573
  • IM000920.JPG
    IM000920.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 569

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I have a lot of ghost targets that are probably bird shot but this is my smallest keeper for the year.

Attachments

• rivet.JPG
    rivet.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 537
  • rivet.JPG
    rivet.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 538

michiganbutcher

Apr 24, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
My Ace 250 hit hard yesterday...on what said was a dime....turned out to be a pushpin.....Oh well....At least I know how sensitive it really is.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit little tiny split shots (the size of BB's) alot at the beach.
And I found this little tiny earring that had to be for an infant.
It's hard to see, but there's a little pink gem in it.

Bran <><

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 446

Socalal

Greenie
May 8, 2008
Gardena, CA
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL, XLT, & DFX-300, Tesoro SuperTrac & Compadre, Minelab GP-3500
BB's, bird shot, earring studs, etc.

tmdavis3

Feb 24, 2009
Birdshot at 10 inches in a firmly packed sandy coastal driveway. Detector said it was a penny, and it took me forever to finally find the teeny little thing! :tard:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread