How to build and inexpensive metal locator.

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
September 1935. Popular Mechanics.
sept35MDinstructions2.jpg

sept35MDinstructions1.jpg

sept35MDinstructions3.jpg

Upvote 0

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Ahh yes, the era when practically any silver coin you found.....was actual silver, and even pennies were copper.

B

BIG61AL

I am sure it was a good detector for it's day but today's models could run rings around it. With all the time and effort to build that today it would easier to get a cheapo off the internet.

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking of building it but I can't seem to find a wood bicycle rim.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I want that old chassis ground B&D drill, what a hoot, especially when you accidentally go to ground yourself!

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
Almost 75 years later and you can still buy a cheap Black and Decker drill for about $20. :P

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
There are so many different articles and ads. I'd like to see if any of these machines are still around.

The_Rake

Nov 24, 2008
I think I'll spend $600.00 and by a nice DFX rather than go through building one. But thanks for the info GL. Good luck to ya :thumbsup:
Bill :coffee2:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
thanx for posting that bit of nostalgia! I bet that machine could only find large items (soda can sized and larger, for instance). It would probably not find coin-sized items.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Drache said:
It would be neat for someone to build it and see how well (if at all) it works! :thumbsup:

Go down to your local Radio Shack type store and ask the kid if they have a 12AU7 tube. LOL

Kid's response..."Uhhh, Dude, a what...?"

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saturna said:
Drache said:
It would be neat for someone to build it and see how well (if at all) it works! :thumbsup:

Go down to your local Radio Shack type store and ask the kid if they have a 12AU7 tube. LOL

Kid's response..."Uhhh, Dude, a what...?"

LOL. When I was in high school I was in the pre-college engineering program for electronics. We studied vacuum tubes. Really handy stuff now. Anodes, cathodes, grids and heaters. ::)

We also were the last class in that school that had to know the slide-rule. I wonder what ever happened to the eight foot wall-mounted version the teacher used? :-D.

Socalal

Greenie
May 8, 2008
Gardena, CA
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL, XLT, & DFX-300, Tesoro SuperTrac & Compadre, Minelab GP-3500
I too want to say thanks for posting that bit of nostalgia. You might find this interesting ----
These two excerpts are right out of Cal-OSHA regulations TODAY:

Section 342 -- Reporting Work-connected Fatalities and Serious Injuries
(a) Every employer shall report immediately by telephone or telegraph to the nearest District Office of the division of Occupational Safety and Health any serious injury ********

(When was the last time anyone has even seen a telegraph set, much less to use it!)

and, Section 781 -- Attendance on Boilers
(A) Replace vacuum tubes and check sensing devices in the flame-failure system ******
(I wonder if it was one of those 12AU7's talked about earlier?)
Fortunately or unfortunately I remember replacing some of these vacuum tubes ! Didn't have to go to a Radio Shack, just went to the nearest tube-testing device at your local drugstore or supermarket! ---- Al

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda reminds me of an early early Whites. Kenny Sr. showed me two at a coin hunt in Ca. back in the good old days. Just a wood box to hold the electronics with a flat piece of wood for the coil.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel certain that if this was a BFO unit, it would've been able to locate shells quite well.

Although it might have made one of your arms longer than the other with repeated use. :wink:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doubt you'd be able to find the batteries now a days. I remember there was a 9v battery that was quite large and another that drove the tubes that was 97.8v (if I remember right) both were really large and heavy, not to mention didn't last verry long for 7/8 of your paper route or allowance money ::) Tried to find the batteries for an old BFO back in the 80s only found one source & the cost was too much for a conversation piece. :D :D :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread