Would you dig it?

GerryL

Oct 30, 2008
western MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I've been in my house for 19 years and never did a lot of detecting there because the house was built in the 80's, hilly pasture before that. Now that the snow's gone, I started cleaning up all the broken trees and branches from the big ice storm. As I was dragging some out the other day, I saw a brick popping out of the hillside. Hmmm, a brick??? So I got my detector out and started scanning; got some old nails. Not too far away I got a big signal. Over the last few nights I dug down. At over 2' I got more nails, 30" more brick pieces. The VDI was solid at 81/82, signagraph had 1 bar on the right. Solid signal, nothing I could do to break it up at all. Pinpointing showed a big target, dinner plate sized. I came at it from all sides and distances, same solid signal. I dug to 3', beyond where you can maneuver a shovel in a 15" diameter hole. Same darn signal. My new Garret pinpointer was activating moderately all around the hole. Would you keep going? Fill it in? Any other technique?
-Gerry

Upvote 0

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
You have already started,why not finish it.Hope to see the conclusion of this.
Keep us posted.

fortbball9

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008
Sounds like you hit an old dump (garbage) site, not sure. I'd keep digging and see what's down there just out of curiousity.

K

Kentucky Kache

I think you should dig. If nothing else, it will give you some experience with what your machine is telling you.

OP
OP
G

GerryL

Oct 30, 2008
western MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, there was no way I was going to stop digging; I was just baffled why I had gotten so deep and couldn't get my signal to break up. I was at 4' and figured there was no way my DFX was hitting on something that deep. But I thought if I had trash, I'd be able to come at it from some angle to break it up.
I decided I had to make the hole big enough so I could get in there and move the shovel; as I started down I found it. But I couldn't believe that I still got one solid signal in the center of it in no motion mode, even with my coil 10" off the ground. Maybe if I had lifted it higher I would have then gotten a hit off each side. Once I saw what it was I changed coils to experiment. I've never had a smaller coil, and the DFX came with a 4x6. When I put that on it easily showed both sides, so lesson learned today! So I had been digging right down through the middle of it as it was lying flat/parallel with the ground surface but about 15-20" deep.
:tard:

find2.jpg

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Old barrel hoops and wheel bands can do that for you. Been there, dug that!

Now back to the digs, this obviously predates your homes construction as well the brick pieces, so yeah, I'd hit that yard hard!

B

BIG61AL

Umm too bad you did not hit that ring before you got so deep. I'd say there must more relics. Dig it man!

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
SOME TIMES YOU JUST TO DIG THEM HITS, YOU GOTTA FIND WHAT'S DOWN IN THAT HOLE :thumbsup:

KEEPA DIGGIN

MLHUDSON

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
The only time when it is appropriate to consider stop digging is when law enforcement is called, or you are contemplating renting machinery.....

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
I have done that ,,,,,The renting machinery part that is. :thumbsup:

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
No, we did not. This was years ago, before I invested in some decent detectors.

Our then assumption of treasure location was based from a Slave Tale passed down.
Please keep in mind, the old black man that was the keeper of the tale, has had success in the past.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread