Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, RPG :icon_thumleft:

It's surprising what is underneath the crust sometimes.

:icon_sunny:

FatCat

Aug 28, 2009
HUNTSVILLE Alabama
Detector(s) used
ACE250 w. 10x14'' DD and Lots of research
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could nominate this post for the Banner!!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FatCat said:

Thank you for the kind words. It makes me happy to know that this post was helpful to you.

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Buckles

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
FatCat said:

I have a handful of posts bookmarked for future reference. Needless to say this is one of them. I have referred back many times.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ditto you the man, I am saving this one.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Awesome post, thanks so much. Here are my results with a button I didn't know had any gilt until I read this post and took a closer look at it. could see something shining through on one of the stars and decided to give it a try. Pic does not do it justice, it looks much better in person. Unfortunatly removing the crud on top did reveal more degradation of the button.

Attachments

• IMG_3013.JPG
    IMG_3013.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 2,124
  • IMG_3218.JPG
    IMG_3218.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 2,148
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BobinSouthVA said:
Awesome post, thanks so much. Here are my results with a button I didn't know had any gilt until I read this post and took a closer look at it. could see something shining through on one of the stars and decided to give it a try. Pic does not do it justice, it looks much better in person. Unfortunatly removing the crud on top did reveal more degradation of the button.

That is a Beautiful button, and a great restoration job. Thank you for sharing this one--Well Done! :thumbsup:

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Thanks for the detailed information and sharing you knowledge. I never really found many old button until the last two years (especially '09). I know I wish I could have a couple buttons back.....

Bob

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Mirage said:
Thanks for the detailed information and sharing you knowledge. I never really found many old button until the last two years (especially '09). I know I wish I could have a couple buttons back.....

Bob

Just curious, Bob. Did you get a new detector around the same time you started finding buttons?

One thing I see overlooked many times is the ability for a detector to find small items. Everyone focuses on Depth but not sensitivity. I did not find many buttons until I got a DFX. I went back to a site I thought I cleaned up pretty good after finding 6 buttons with my old detector and found about 100 more that I had missed. Many were just too deep for my early 1990's detectors, but others were not deep, but very small.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Mirage said:

Bob

Just curious, Bob. Did you get a new detector around the same time you started finding buttons?

One thing I see overlooked many times is the ability for a detector to find small items. Everyone focuses on Depth but not sensitivity. I did not find many buttons until I got a DFX. I went back to a site I thought I cleaned up pretty good after finding 6 buttons with my old detector and found about 100 more that I had missed. Many were just too deep for my early 1990's detectors, but others were not deep, but very small.

Bob,

Good to hear from you. The more of these types of buttons you start finding, the older your finds will be. That fact by itself is exciting. My buddy Rodeo Recon was cleaning a normal looking flat button this past spring and realized that he had an 1808-ish 1st Regt. Artillery button. Looked like a normal flat button before cleaning.

In response to Neil--I agree that finding the small cuff sized buttons (much smaller than a half dime), some detectors seem to work better than others. Such signals are not great ones on my old 1266--but my Tesoro works quite well at picking them up at depths less than 4 or 5 inches. I found a tombac cuff this year that was tiny (total size of the button was not much wider than the width of the shank). But I was in a Very good site that was not trashy, digging everything that read above iron nail.

Best Wishes to you both for 2010 :thumbsup:

Buckles

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Mirage said:

Bob

No, part of finding more buttons is just hunting old sites and digging "everything". It's so easy and enjoyable to hunt that way. Minimal decisions about signals - if it ain't iron it gets dug! :icon_sunny:

Thanks Buckles. I've always known buttons were a good sign. Just never found them consistently like others did. Most likely because we focused more on the high percentage yielding silver sites like early 1900's schools.

Bob

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mirage said:
Thanks Buckles. I've always known buttons were a good sign. Just never found them consistently like others did. Most likely because we focused more on the high percentage yielding silver sites like early 1900's schools.

Bob

It's hard to argue with the sheer numbers of old silver coins you and your crew have dug. I have enjoyed every one of your posts, my friend.

-Buckles

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
THANKS BUCKLE BOY..having found my first colonial war tunic button a few weeks ago..I didnt want to stuff it, so after your great info I can have a lil play..thanks mate..

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Des from down under said:
THANKS BUCKLE BOY..having found my first colonial war tunic button a few weeks ago..I didnt want to stuff it, so after your great info I can have a lil play..thanks mate..

I remember that post. :thumbsup: Let me know how it turns out.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
BuckleBoy said:
Des from down under said:

I remember that post. :thumbsup: Let me know how it turns out.

Best Wishes,

Buckles
I will thanks mate.....

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mirage said:

Bob

For a couple of years I had two friends who lived 2 hours away argue with me that their early sites had more coppers than buttons. I said it was either them, or their Bounty hunters, but there was no way buttons would out number the coppers on average at the Colonial sites in our part of the world. Finally both bought explorers and guess who was right. :)

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron Patch said:
For a couple of years I had two friends who lived 2 hours away argue with me that their early sites had more coppers than buttons. I said it was either them, or their Bounty hunters, but there was no way buttons would out number the coppers on average at the Colonial sites in our part of the world. Finally both bought explorers and guess who was right. :)

I am not sure if I have this straight. Is your argument that coppers should outnumber buttons, or vice versa? I would say I find 10 buttons to every copper on average.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:

I am not sure if I have this straight. Is your argument that coppers should outnumber buttons, or vice versa? I would say I find 10 buttons to every copper on average.

They were finding more coppers than buttons and I said that was crazy. Yes, definitely more buttons than early coppers at Colonial era sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread