How to convience the wife

jasonbo

Nov 1, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace250 / Cibola
I have found a nice white metal detector an setup for around 300 but also a bounty hunter sharpshooter II for 90 and a pioneer 505 for 100
My wife has seen all 3 of course she wants me to have the bounty hunter but i want the whites (actually if it were up to her i wouldnt have any she says i have to many hobbies.) But what she doesnt understand all my hobbies incorperate eachother. Ive tried the i needed the fourwheeler to get to the ghost towns to take pictures with the digital camera to put into the laptop and find access to the sites i want to metal detect. any suggestions?

Upvote 0
S

sbrowncpr

The best advice I can give you is to get her involved. I took my wife out with me, now she is into it as much as I am. She wants her own detector now. If they are interested, then cost is never an issue. If they are NOT interested, you are stuck with the cheapest think out there

OP
OP
jasonbo

jasonbo

Nov 1, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace250 / Cibola
Mighty AP said:
Which Whites model are you looking at? Are they all new or used?

metal detector,white eagle with 2 attachments, digital readout,also has head to find gold,used a couple of times, excellent condition paid 800 sell 300 cash

thats the one comes with case 2 heads an looks new

OP
OP
jasonbo

jasonbo

Nov 1, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace250 / Cibola
sbrowncpr said:
The best advice I can give you is to get her involved. I took my wife out with me, now she is into it as much as I am. She wants her own detector now. If they are interested, then cost is never an issue. If they are NOT interested, you are stuck with the cheapest think out there

My wifes idea of roughing it is the ramada she hates going to ghosttowns with me but will sit in the truck

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Im with sbrowncpr, I got my girlfreind into the hobby, upgraded machines & gave her my first one. She will ask me if we are going out detecting, if I say no she gets all pouty! Its realy quite cute! She then takes her Prizm 3 into the backyard & digs nails & bottletops! lol Ive realy created a monster but we have a great hobby to share for years to come!
The Whites eagle with 2 coils for $300 sounds like a good deal, Ive never used one but I like Whites machines, I have a Prixm3 & a QuantumXTpro.

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Get the Whites. Tell her nicely that $300.00 is a lot less than a shrink would cost cuz if you don't get the Whites you'll go CRAZY! ;D

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is easy. Just get her the three hundred dollar neckless. Now the detector cost you six hundred and you saved two hundred. Burdie

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell her the Whites is better at finding gold rings and other jewlery that you want to find for her. The other two have trouble finding a quarter under a newspaper and you generally get what you pay for.

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
#1 Take her with you! It's a great way to spend time together and she can just poke around and do her own thing.

#2 Get the best machine that you can afford. If you decide that this isn't for you, you'll have better luck selling a better machine. Upgrading a year later sucks.

Happy hunting!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too late, you're screwed! You violated rule #1 which is: Don't ever tell your wife or significant other what anything you buy costs!
If youi are forced into a corner and must tell, always depreciate it by a third ....unless it is a very expensive item and then half it!
Show her in an ad what the full retail price is and convince her you are saving her at least half. (Women cannot resist a sale).
Be sure to curse your new detector in front of her and say how hot and tired you are from detecting. That way she will revel in the fact that you are not enjoying it. Let her say, "I told you so!"
If worse comes to worse, have the number of a good divorce lawyer handy. Monty

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
jasonbo said:
My wife has seen all 3 of course she wants me to have the bounty hunter but i want the whites (actually if it were up to her i wouldnt have any she says i have to many hobbies.)

First off let me congratulate you. I see that you communicate with your wife instead of sneaking around behind her back.

Next I see you have a good wife. While she thinks you're involved in too many things already she's still willing to give in to a degree.

Not knowing you both personally, I'll just venture a wild guess here. Convince her that you really need a detector (a good one) and she will come around with no problem.

Life is a give and take proposition. Maybe you should have a discussion about you giving up a hobby or whatever to pursue metal detecting?

How much do you want this hobby? Think of something you'd be willing to part with. Something that affects ONLY you. Then discuss your selling it on ebay or wherever and then using that money to pursue this hobby.

She may break down and say: "Oh well, if it means that much to you...go buy it." Don't do that. Stay with your offer and sell that whatever thing first. You should show her that this is important to you and you're willing to sacrifice a little to have it.

Later she may just join you ;)

S

stefen

FIRST: THE KEY TO ANY SUCCESSFUL RELATIONSHIP IS HONESTY AND COMMUNICATION.

THEN TELL YOUR WIFE THAT YOU FOUND THE MONEY AND THE DEVIL MADE YOU DO IT ::)

HONESTY: IF QUESTIONED ABOUT WHERE YOU FOUND THE MONEY...ALWAYS MUMBLE THE ANSWER.
COMMUNICATION: ALWAYS USE YOUR BEST POKER FACE.

SECONDLY: THERE ARE NO 'GOOD' ATTORNEYS!

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
I like the badger's answer. It gives a lot of insight into a successful relationship. I just bought a new $600 MD plus $200 in accessories. I retired two years ago and 9 months into retirement I was back working at my old job on a short term basis while I am also collecting my retirement check so money is not a show stopper. However, my wife didn't think I needed to upgrade my Radio Shack MD that SHE gave me some years back. However, this outfit is about 4 times as expensive and even though we have the money, the cost is not insignificant. With my wife I think there were two issues, 1. She gave me the detector that I wanted to upgrade. 2. MD takes time away from time that I would be spending with her and the family (if we still had kids at home). I have tried to get her to go MD with me but no luck yet. I will still continue to try to get her involved, because I want her to enjoy the hobby with me. There is a relationship book out there called, "His Needs Her Needs" and it says that one of a man's primary relationship needs is for his wife to be a "Recreational Playmate". One of a woman's primary needs from her husband is Family Commitment (translated to mean time spent with her and the family)(maybe buy the book and suggest reading it together). Find and meet her needs, find the common ground of give and take, and find time to spend with your wife, it will pay dividends. Not just from getting what you want but mutual satisfaction in the relationship. If it is a cost issue, perhaps you could get a part time job to pay for what you want. I convinced my wife that I needed this more expensive MD to be able to hunt the wet salt beaches that the old one couldn't handle. By mutual agreement, the accessory coil was my fathers' day gift and the MD was my anniversary gift from her. Maybe your birthday is coming up if you don't want to wait until Christmas. You get the idea and I have rambled long enough.......

Happy Hunting

R

Reddackel

Well, I just bought an Xterra 50 with both coils. Prior to buying that model, I told my husband I could get a nice detector for $300. He was game for that. However, after all my research, I decided that I needed to spend a bit more ("need" obviously being subjective).

So, do as I did: Tell her you could absolutely spend the lower amount of money, for example, in my case, $300. Follow that up with the fact that you will be required in 2 years to upgrade to the more expensive one, ex. $600, as the $300 is not par with your level of experience anymore. So, it's either $300 now and $600 later, which equals $900 overall, or, $600 today for now and forever. Ask her to do the math and she'll see that you are actually SAVING $300. Yep,,saving money! Ha!

It worked on my husband. Granted, he's not a moron, but who could argue with that numbers manipulation?

Good luck,
Red

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jason,

I agree with your wife.

You have much too many hobbies, I think
your going overboard a bit.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D