How to find the Lost Dutchman mine...

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fishun, is fishun, is fishun, no matter where, is good - if you are catching any. Just like lost mine hunting. but I do favor above 6-7000 ft in June or especially in late Oct sigh drool. If your bait, lure, or fly doesn't work, just catch a pan full with your hands. Once I forgot my rod, can you believe it? and had to catch them by hand or abort the trip. I enjoyed two weeks there. snicker. Only thing missing was oro's maneating hounds for company.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Loke wrote
...then eat raw...

What! Sushi? I don't know if I could find courage to try that one! :tongue3:

Cubfan - that sure sounds good too, have never tried Walleye but have had their cousins Yellow Perch, some mighty tasty fish! When you said fried potatoes and onions, I presume fried raw potatoes? I love them too!

Joe - I hope that when (or rather IF) I reach that same age, I will be able to do like your old timer friend. I don't know what it is about fresh caught fish, cooked up right beside the water but (personal opinion) it is some of the best eating there is.

Much of my life I have had to wait for the 'fishing season' to open in spring, now live where that is not a problem just have to get the free time and go. Have to try a local lake near us (Angostura) as it is supposedly "the" spot for Walleyes too.

Don Jose de la Mancha wrote
fishun, is fishun, is fishun, no matter where, is good - if you are catching any. Just like lost mine hunting. but I do favor above 6-7000 ft in June or especially in late Oct sigh drool. If your bait, lure, or fly doesn't work, just catch a pan full with your hands. Once I forgot my rod, can you believe it? and had to catch them by hand or abort the trip. I enjoyed two weeks there. snicker. Only thing missing was oro's maneating hounds for company.

Can't say I ever tried catching them bare-handed; have used safety pins or a spear. One of the best meals of my life was a plate of fresh caught fat cutthroats Beth got with just a bare shiny pin for bait (nothing could be found) the fish were so willing to bite that no bait was needed. Planning to visit that spot this summer, haven't been there in over twenty years; not much in the way of gold in that creek but some mighty nice cutthroats!

Maneating? While I do have a number of scars from their gentle little 'nips', to this day they have not eaten anyone! :tongue3: You are not helping me promote that breed as household pets amigo, which except for a few small almost un-noticeable habits like fighting, biting, etc, sled dogs would be very good for. Won't you agree? I think you need a pack team for your own home, still working on talking you into it. ;D <Now that I think about it, from what little I know of your personality, it might be a very good match-up.>

My apologies to our readers for having carried the topic away from the title. Not much fishing is possible in the Superstitions, at least the wilderness part.

Have to sign off, will probably stop by later, I hope you all have a very pleasant day - you have filled me with ideas! :sign13: :thumbsup:
Roy

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

ancientones

Apr 16, 2010
Am posting a webpage that shows the supposed location of The Sombrero Mine, and 'clues' to find mines in the Sups.
Any suggestions on why the posting doesn't show?

ancientones

Apr 16, 2010
www.thesombreromine.com

Many of the mines have 'trail symbols' visable with Google Earth. The symbols do not lead to prospects, but to actual
mines with ore. If the mine has been played out the symbols would have been removed.
I have been in this part of the Sups. and am interested if anyone else has. There are several mines here including the
Sombrero.

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
mrs.oroblanco said:
Here ya go

Giant Fish...........

Now that your paying attention, Mrs. Oroblanco is hot on it. Just go right and look for the best fishing holes in the area and your there. Huge channel cats over that way and the lost Dutchman just for fun.

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What clues are u trying to get to fit??

Sincere thanks for all your answers.

Joe — very interesting, to say the least. That ridge is further east then where I’ve been searching. But it has enough merit to warrant investigation — just need cooler weather and I’ll be there.

All - Holmes is a puzzler. There many problems with the manuscript, not the least of which is the length and amount of detail contained in the death bed confession. I don’t see how anyone could remember that many details, having only heard it once and considering the charged atmosphere in which it was received (hope that makes sense).

The question is whether we have the “real” Holmes account or not. It gets deeper than that because if you read the “death bed confession” …….. well, it kinda sounds like Old Jake is having a bit of fun with Dick Holmes. Things like “there’s no one I’d rather see find it than you” just smacks of a con-line if I ever heard one. But that could have been inserted after the fact to justify accusations of Dick ending up with the ore from under Jake’s bed. Or it might have been put in there to justify a sense of entitlement by a later DH’er.

But the kicker that makes me want to look at Holmes despite all the issues with his manuscript is that Dick spent his entire life searching, as did his son, and now a friend of his son. Holmes must have known something beyond the local gossip which caused them to search for so long.

Old Dog — My theory rests on the premise that Waltz told Holmes how to find his MINE and Waltz told Julia how to find the CACHE. That’s why the two accounts don’t line up — because the cache is near the mine, but not right at the mine. Two different items, two different locations.

IF I am right, then the Holmes Ridge is the single most obvious indicator and the one that we should be looking for first. Assuming that the ridge is not fictional, that is. But let’s assume the ridge exists. The Holmes instructions don’t make sense (in a lot of places) but for this discussion we’re talking about just the ridge…..(paraphrased) “go up the ridge, look down into the canyon, come back down off the ridge and go into the canyon, then come back out of the canyon” -- woah! That’s a lot of backtracking. Doesn’t sound like real directions to me (because they’re not). Brownie plainly states he is looking for help in location the ridge…. NOT telling you how to find the mine.

In Sims Ely’s book, Waltz tells about himself and Weiser going over a ridge and spying on two men breaking up the ore — and that was within shooting distance of the top of the ridge (therefore, the mine would be high up) and this would be the same ridge that Holmes talks about in his manuscript…. Anyway, you get the picture of my line of thinking. The problem is:

WHERE is the ridge that Holmes talked about?

I have found a ridge that fits a couple of details, then another ridge that fits a few more (different details) but nowhere can I locate a ridge that is the “perfect fit”. Because of this, I am beginning to wonder if there is any validity in Holmes Manuscript at all.

If you read what was posted earlier in this topic, notice that following “the best place to start” - his list is conspicuously missing Holmes. I respect C.J.’s opinion and I am beginning to believe he may be right after all.

Best to all,

Ashton

Uncle Josh

Greenie
Jan 10, 2017
Mesa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are there any ore samples left from the bulldog mine to compare test results with the "deutchman's" ore?

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Doc,

I'm afraid to say that I believe Ashton Page is no longer with us, unfortunately. It looks like he may have lost his battle with cancer as he has not posted in a long time.

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thnaks, that's too bad , thought I might have something to contribute to his search as I have a few tidbits that could of maybe helped.

Doc,

I'm afraid to say that I believe Ashton Page is no longer with us, unfortunately. It looks like he may have lost his battle with cancer as he has not posted in a long time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions