Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kiros32 said:
I know there are already posts on this somewhere, so if someone could include a link to those, I would appreciate it. If not, I need some advice on how to either check or carry on my Whites MXT on a trip to Mexico.

Thanks!

Break it down, put in a suitcase and pack your clothes around it, Or break it down and put it in a back pack(relatively big one) put the batteries in the checked bags. You should see the screeners rolling the backpack back and forth, asking each other what the heck is that! Oh good times. Half the time they want to pull it out and look at it.
But I haven't had a real problem with them.

If you put it in a checked bag you run the risk of mistreatment. By the way, I usually put the shafts in the checked and the expensive parts in the back pack.

Good luck! My main question would be if the federales will let you detect?

shivermetimbers

Jan 14, 2012
mississippi
Detector(s) used
gold digger metal detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the only thing i can think of is that get the address of where u are staying in mexico
get a long boxes and mail your metal detector to that address on where u are going to stay and when u get there ur metal detector will arrive to u and then when ur holidays are over then post it to ur home address :D

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just came back from Myrtle Beach with an AT Pro, Pistol Probe, Propointer, batteries and charger in carry on luggage with clothing packed around them. Bags were searched and the 2 pinpointers were put in a separate plastic bag and put through the scanner again. The TSA said they initially thought the Pistol Probe was a taser. When I flew down from Pittsburgh everything went right through without a question.

There was 5 TSA personnel and we were the only ones going through security at the time. I told my wife that our bags would be checked as they had nothing to do!

Tom

Cheeserock

Jul 23, 2009
Central Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett AT-Pro Whites Classic SL-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I flew one time with my MD in a checked bag. When I got home and carried the bag into the house I heard it beep when I set it down in the house. The bag screeners must have turned it on like they do cell phones sometimes, however they did not turn it back off.

I'll always remove the battery pack now if I check it. If the baggage handlers ever heard a bag beeping after tossing it in the plane who knows what they would do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread